3.8 science gpa, only 29M MCAT :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illadelphia91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, entering senior year at Temple University. Sent my applications out already but just curious on your guys thoughts. Like the title says, my science gpa is a little less then 3.8 and overall is 3.75. MCATS was a big disappointment for me (10,8,11,M) because I just panicked and did not think straight. Was consistently scoring 33-35 range on the practice tests too.

But anyways, I applied to all schools in PA, NJ, NYC, and DC and some random ones everywhere else. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are? I was really hoping to stay in Philly but can't really complain anymore.

Extracurricular, volunteer in hospital, research in behavioral and molecular labs, and tutored a few times at a boys and girls club.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys, entering senior year at Temple University. Sent my applications out already but just curious on your guys thoughts. Like the title says, my science gpa is a little less then 3.8 and overall is 3.75. MCATS was a big disappointment for me (10,8,11,M) because I just panicked and did not think straight. Was consistently scoring 33-35 range on the practice tests too.

But anyways, I applied to all schools in PA, NJ, NYC, and DC and some random ones everywhere else. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are? I was really hoping to stay in Philly but can't really complain anymore.

Extracurricular, volunteer in hospital, research in behavioral and molecular labs, and tutored a few times at a boys and girls club.

PCOM is a great DO school if you're open to it. I'd recommend at least throwing in an application there incase your other schools don't work out.

You definitely have a shot at an MD school if other parts of your application and your interview are stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might also want to consider taking a gap year and re-taking the MCAT. Just do some kind of research or "worthwhile" in that year.

Thanks for the response. I plan on buying books to help with interviews if i'm fortunate enough to get them. If I do take the gap year, I really would like to do something for the community because that is something I feel is lacking on my application (and I would also retake my mcats).

You might also want to consider taking a gap year and re-taking the MCAT. Just do some kind of research or "worthwhile" in that year.

:thumbup:

I would definitely retake the MCAT. With your GPA, a good MCAT score can put you in the running for the top MD schools.

Yeah, If I retake it, it would be after I try to get in with my 29 first. It's just frustrating because I KNOW I can do good on the test, I just have to not let my nerves get to me next time. Well the good thing about retaking it is I know exactly what i need to improve on and what material to use this time.

It's also frustrating because I did so well in undergrad too and it just sucks that one test could have possibly pushed things back for me but oh well, it would only be a year anyways.

I have similar extremely similar stats and thank God I'm getting interviews, but I think a lot has to do with my LOR's.

NY, NJ, PA all have schools that you are competitive for. I don't think that you have to be in a school's 90% to be competitive, but that's probably against a lot advice given here but oh well.

I'm in a similar situation as well (actually have the exact same score breakdown!), and even thought I don't have an acceptance yet (obviously) I don't regret the decision to apply. I've gotten interview invites and I'm genuinely optimistic about my chances. If you have other things on your application that are strong you should be fine. Don't let everyone on this site freak you out, SDN is a very small sampling of an enormous applicant pool, and believe it or not you will be a much more desirable candidate than you might think.