3.82/517 URM. NEED HELP WITH SCHOOL LIST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToMD2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm. Definitely get other opinions, but in my view you are going to get yield protected out of most of the schools in the bottom half of your list. If anything, you may want to consider adding more schools to the top half...

But, I’m just a clueless M0 who knows ****-all about what actually intrigues adcoms, so take my advide with a grain of salt...

You could add these schools:
Miami
Pittsburgh
Washington University
Case Western
Cincinnati
Remove Geisinger since they have an instate regional bias.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these schools:
Miami
Pittsburgh
Washington University
Case Western
Cincinnati
Remove Geisinger since they have an instate regional bias.
Thanks for the tips! I might be wrong, but I thought Washington University strictly accepts people from its state/region?

Reactions: 1 user
Washington University in St. Louis likes high MCAT scores. It is a private school and doesn't have an instate preference.

You will get yield protected from the bottom half of the list. Remove NYMC and Rosalyn Franklin and add NYU and Northwestern.

Hi!

I have my school list below. What do you guys think? Is it too top heavy?

Numbers: 3.82, 517

Urm: AA

Residency: NC

• Clinical volunteering: 102 . All from a hospice center

• Non clinical volunteering: ~ 700. This also includes a service project I founded dealing with girls education in an African country.

• Shadowing: ~150 ( out of US).

• Research: this is clinical research experience coming from 2 medical schools ~4000hrs no papers/posters/abstract

• Leadership: ~300hrs

• Miscellaneous Work: worked all throughout undergrad ~1000+. I also had one summer internship at a well known medical school. It was on healthcare management.

LOR:

• committee letter with 2 science profs and 2 non-science profs
  • Individual letter from my biochemistry major advisor
  • Current PI

School List:

Harvard

UChicago

Columbia

Cornell

Duke

JHU

Stanford

Yale

GWU

Georgetown University

Dartmouth

Brown

Tufts

Emory

UVA

UNC - Chapel Hill

Boston University

Rochester

Wake Forest

East Carolina

New York Medical College

Eastern Virginia

Creighton

Rosalind Franklin

Drexel

Quinnipiac

Howard

Meharry

Tulane

Seton Hall

Geisinger

Loma Linda

Temple

Loyola Stritch

Morehouse

Hofstra
Delete Loma Linda unless you are a Seventh Day Adventist or extremely devout Christian. Delete Geisinger unless you are from the Scranton area.

Add Howard and UCLA / Drew. Do you have your state schools on there?

Frankly, you should just start your list with wash you and radiate outwards. Pretty much any school is yours. Also suggest adding University of Miami and Indiana University.

Reactions: 1 user
Washington University in St. Louis likes high MCAT scores. It is a private school and doesn't have an instate preference.

You will get yield protected from the bottom half of the list. Remove NYMC and Rosalyn Franklin and add NYU and Northwestern.

I’ve been seeing yield protection thrown around. What does that look like, in general? Pre interview rejection?