3.84 GPA, 520 MCAT, IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastandfuranious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be disclosing it as an IA even though the school didn't technically take any action.
More details and/or read the amcas instructions regarding this subject matter. If you don't need to report it according to amcas criteria, it would be unwise to do so. For example, it may change your chances from T20 to "oh dear god, someone please interview me".

Reactions: 2 users
More details and/or read the amcas instructions regarding this subject matter. If you don't need to report it according to amcas criteria, it would be unwise to do so. For example, it may change your chances from T20 to "oh dear god, someone please interview me".
Agreed. Don't report it unless you have to, @fastandfuranious, but if you must, the fact that the infraction was committed when you were a freshman and that it was fairly minor will help you. Also your altruism and stellar ECs: Teach for America is only one cut below military service in a lot of adcoms' eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of your list, I suggest:

Here's my school list:
UCSF- PRIME
UCLA- PRIME
Stanford
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC
UC Riverside (ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire)
Hopkins
Tufts
Mount Sinai

You have a lot of schools on your list that will be donations, even with your stellar stats.

Suggest adding:
The Manhattan Titans
Emory
BU
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Case
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
Duke
U Miami
U VM
U AZ

[/QUOTE]

Is that due to those schools not granting much leeway at all for IAs?

Are you aware that Northstate has chosen to deny its students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms, despite being one the highest tuition schools in the country?
Not at all.

I wasn't aware of the Northstate situation-- thank you for the heads up!

From what my pre-med advisor has told me, I believe I do have to disclose it since the professor reported it to the university and I received an "unofficial withdraw" for the class. I'll definitely call AMCAS at some point and ask about my specific situation, but what I wrote above would be the worst case scenario.

Also, I second the question above-- did you recommend I take those schools off because they're historically harsh about IAs?

Thank you so much!

I wasn't aware of the Northstate situation-- thank you for the heads up!

From what my pre-med advisor has told me, I believe I do have to disclose it since the professor reported it to the university and I received an "unofficial withdraw" for the class. I'll definitely call AMCAS at some point and ask about my specific situation, but what I wrote above would be the worst case scenario.

Also, I second the question above-- did you recommend I take those schools off because they're historically harsh about IAs?

Thank you so much!
I recommended removing those schools because they take very few OOS candidates, or will resource protect because they know from historical norms that applicants of your caliber will go to other higher class schools.

@Goro Isn't the list a little top-heavy, especially with the IA situation? Also, is there anything I can do to improve my application in the meantime? Thanks!

@Goro Isn't the list a little top-heavy, especially with the IA situation? Also, is there anything I can do to improve my application in the meantime? Thanks!
I think something that happened as a freshman, which was followed by exemplary behavior, can be forgiven.

Service to others less fortunate than yourself always is good.

I think something that happened as a freshman, which was followed by exemplary behavior, can be forgiven.

Service to others less fortunate than yourself always is good.
He'll be doing a lot of service to others less fortunate than he is during his time in Teach For America. When he applies to medical school, he'll be about six years out from his fairly minor infraction, which was committed in his freshman year. He's a rock star with a tiny dent, and should aim high. His stats and ECs are Harvard material.