3.88 cGPA 3.72 sGPA 24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeroman9121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I guess I'm sort of at a cross road. My cGPA is 3.88 and sGPA 3.72 but the MCAT screwed me over. 9VR/8BS/7PS O WS. Wanted to ask would it be worth my while trying to apply to a DO school with this bad of an MCAT or should I just bunker down for the next 3 months and take the MCAT in Aug again and this time do it w/o a full time class schedule on top of research. Also as for EC's I have 150 shadowing, a year of research in a electrochemistry lab, and 90 hrs volunteering. Thanks guys, would love to have your input.

Members don't see this ad.

apply early and retake over the summer.

You'll be fine for most DO schools with that GPA. However, you have to watch out for schools that have an eight cut off sub score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering if shadowing for a non-do doctor is gonna hurt me. Is it true that some schools have a requirement that you must shadow a DO?

I don't think so... most of them say a "physician letter, MD or DO" however SOME schools do require a DO letter

So I guess I'm sort of at a cross road. My cGPA is 3.88 and sGPA 3.72 but the MCAT screwed me over. 9VR/8BS/7PS O WS. Wanted to ask would it be worth my while trying to apply to a DO school with this bad of an MCAT or should I just bunker down for the next 3 months and take the MCAT in Aug again and this time do it w/o a full time class schedule on top of research. Also as for EC's I have 150 shadowing, a year of research in a electrochemistry lab, and 90 hrs volunteering. Thanks guys, would love to have your input.

Hey man,

I applied with pretty much the same stats (3.88sgpa, 3.72cgpa and 24 mcat) in mid September (applied to 8 schools) and got 2 acceptances, Kcumb being one of them. I think you will be ok if you apply early and to a bunch of schools. Good luck! :thumbup::)

Hey guys, seriously thanks for your encouraging words. I was planning on taking the July 14 MCAT, but since scores would get released around Aug 14, do you think it would be to late to apply with those new scores? I was wondering by the time i got secondaries and completed those sent out would i be to late? I know the ideal time is not late Aug. but wanted to ask would it be worth trying to apply this cycle, or just study the whole summer and take the test in Aug and apply for next year cycle. I'm a jr so my plan really was to finish up undergrad and head straight in but I'm a reasonable person and understand things always do not go your way. Thanks for your input.

Hey man,

I applied with pretty much the same stats (3.88sgpa, 3.72cgpa and 24 mcat) in mid September (applied to 8 schools) and got 2 acceptances, Kcumb being one of them. I think you will be ok if you apply early and to a bunch of schools. Good luck! :thumbup::)

This is some great motivation! May i ask how many interviews you were offered?

This is some great motivation! May i ask how many interviews you were offered?

I was offered 3 interviews :D, but attended 2. I declined one of the interviews since I was already accepted to and pretty set on KCUMB and didn't have all that much money for flights/hotels etc.

I think my secondary helped out a lot too which included my interest in OMM. :luck:

Apply broadly, don't get discouraged by rejections as some will come, as your 24 isn't great by any means. But assuming your PS is really good and your secondaries don't suck, you should be joining the class of 2017. You are definitely competitive and you may even get a few acceptances. Good luck.