3.89 cGPA, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegestud2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long-time lurker on these WAMC forums but I guess i'm gonna be like everyone else and post myself for once...

Junior at top 20 university
BS Chemistry and Economics double major
Asian male, GA resident
Applying for 2013 cycle

3.89 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA (w/ a slight downward trend, but my schedule is probably A LOT more rigorous than most other students here)
MCAT:
Aug. 2010: 34S (13 PS, 10 V, 11 BS)
Aug. 2011: 34R (14 PS, 9 V, 11 BS)

~30 hrs shadowing ER physician in a public hospital that serves mostly low-income patients (getting a rec from the physician)
~30 hrs shadowing neurologist
~30 hrs shadowing interventional radiology residents
~120 hrs hospital volunteering in radiology department (at same place where i did the interventional radiology shadowing)

-1 yr of behavioral neuroscience research by the time i apply, by which i should have at least 2 poster presentations, MAYBE 1 publication. (getting rec from PI)
-1 yr of physical chem research, no publications. (getting rec from PI, who is current also my pchem lab professor)
-2 yrs orgo lab TA (getting rec from prof, who I also had for the class during my freshmen year)
-2 yrs tutor for gen chem, orgo, and calc I/II through school-sponsored tutoring program. Tutored for about 330 hrs so far.
-Working with several other students and 2 physicians to co-start a start-up company that essentially will network patients with similar diseases/medical conditions to each other and to biomedical researchers working corresponding treatments (currently just setting it up, will likely launch company in early 2013).

-1 yr peer academic advisor/mentor for incoming freshmen through school's student orientation program
-1 yr Sophomore Advisor through school's residence life/housing (kinda like an RA but not quite as important or high up in authority as them...)
-1 week volunteer service trip during spring break planned for this year
-Member of school's merit-based scholarship program
-Member of 4 honor societies, including Phi Beta Kappa

Schools I'm considering, in approximate order of preference:
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Dartmouth
-Duke
-Northwestern
-Emory
-Vanderbilt
-MC Georgia
-Pittsburgh
-UMich
-Baylor
-Mayo
-BU
-Tufts
-Miami
-U Southern California
-Wake Forest
-Einstein/Yeshiva
-Mercer
-Morehouse

So if my PS is written well and I apply early, what do you think my chances are at getting interviews and getting acceptances at these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

We have very similar stats and schools! Although you have much stronger research than I have.

You being a TA is a great experience to demonstrate your leadership as well as the advising that you do.
I think the biggest hole missing is that you have no clinical volunteering that I see other than the shadowing. Although I think that shadowing is more important. Try to get that in ASAP if your applying this cycle.

Just wondering....but why Morehouse? If you can otherwise articulate a true and personal reason for why you desire medicine, then I'm sure you'll be a shoe in for some of the mid-tier schools. The top tier, from my understanding/rumor, are a crapshoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops nvm I missed the 120 hrs hospital volunteering. I think you're solid, so I would work on those essays and build up a good image of yourself that you think people would find interesting to meet and interview.

I would cross off Morehouse. I know it's in Georgia which explains your interest but it's still a HBC and you're Asian. I guess your hospital shadowing is with the underserved but that's only 30 hours

Why oh why did you retake a 34??? Now you dropped below a 10 for each subscore... not an app killer but I liked your first score better

Last edited:
Long-time lurker on these WAMC forums but I guess i'm gonna be like everyone else and post myself for once...

Junior at top 20 university
BS Chemistry and Economics double major
Asian male, GA resident
Applying for 2013 cycle

3.89 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA (w/ a slight downward trend, but my schedule is probably A LOT more rigorous than most other students here)
MCAT:
Aug. 2010: 34S (13 PS, 10 V, 11 BS)
Aug. 2011: 34R (14 PS, 9 V, 11 BS)

~30 hrs shadowing ER physician in a public hospital that serves mostly low-income patients (getting a rec from the physician)
~30 hrs shadowing neurologist
~30 hrs shadowing interventional radiology residents
~120 hrs hospital volunteering in radiology department (at same place where i did the interventional radiology shadowing)

-1 yr of behavioral neuroscience research by the time i apply, by which i should have at least 2 poster presentations, MAYBE 1 publication. (getting rec from PI)
-1 yr of physical chem research, no publications. (getting rec from PI, who is current also my pchem lab professor)
-2 yrs orgo lab TA (getting rec from prof, who I also had for the class during my freshmen year)
-2 yrs tutor for gen chem, orgo, and calc I/II through school-sponsored tutoring program. Tutored for about 330 hrs so far.
-Working with several other students and 2 physicians to co-start a start-up company that essentially will network patients with similar diseases/medical conditions to each other and to biomedical researchers working corresponding treatments (currently just setting it up, will likely launch company in early 2013).

-1 yr peer academic advisor/mentor for incoming freshmen through school's student orientation program
-1 yr Sophomore Advisor through school's residence life/housing (kinda like an RA but not quite as important or high up in authority as them...)
-1 week volunteer service trip during spring break planned for this year
-Member of school's merit-based scholarship program
-Member of 4 honor societies, including Phi Beta Kappa

Schools I'm considering, in approximate order of preference:
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Dartmouth
-Duke
-Northwestern
-Emory
-Vanderbilt
-MC Georgia
-Pittsburgh
-UMich
-Baylor
-Mayo
-BU
-Tufts
-Miami
-U Southern California
-Wake Forest
-Einstein/Yeshiva
-Mercer
-Morehouse

So if my PS is written well and I apply early, what do you think my chances are at getting interviews and getting acceptances at these schools?
Comments:

I'm missing the hands-on nonmedical community service to the disadvantaged that Morehouse would expect to see, and which would strengthen your application in general for many other schools, too.

Hopefully, you had a creative role in some of your research projects, which the research-oriented schools on your list would prefer to see.

I like to see some primary care shadowing, even just 4 hours, to show you gained an appreciation of medicine from the trenches.

Unless there is an unexpected red flag in an LOR, you don't strike the right tone in your PS, or interview poorly, I think you have a good chance of an acceptance from a school on your list.

Thanks for the advice everyone. To be honoest I put down Morehouse on the list mainly because it's in-state (and there are only 4 med schools here in GA) and i needed a some "safeties." As far as showing interest to them the ER shadowing i did was in a hospital affiliated with Morehouse, so i did get to meet and interact with some of their med school students, residents, and physicans. Also i'd be interested because they have one of the best primary care in the country (of course shadowing a primary care doc would really justify this, which im now considering).

And as mentioned ill try to shadow i primary doc and get some non-medical volunteer experience before i apply.

i can see the research im doing go well down the line with me having a mostly independent project this semester but whether or not i get a publication is hard to say right now.

and yeah the 2nd mcat retake was really frustrating since i was aiming for around 36+ but right now i dont really wanna take it a 3rd time.

Thanks for the advice everyone. To be honoest I put down Morehouse on the list mainly because it's in-state (and there are only 4 med schools here in GA) and i needed a some "safeties." As far as showing interest to them the ER shadowing i did was in a hospital affiliated with Morehouse, so i did get to meet and interact with some of their med school students, residents, and physicans. Also i'd be interested because they have one of the best primary care in the country (of course shadowing a primary care doc would really justify this, which im now considering).

And as mentioned ill try to shadow i primary doc and get some non-medical volunteer experience before i apply.

i can see the research im doing go well down the line with me having a mostly independent project this semester but whether or not i get a publication is hard to say right now.

and yeah the 2nd mcat retake was really frustrating since i was aiming for around 36+ but right now i dont really wanna take it a 3rd time.

you shouldn't have even taken it a second time let alone a third time!

as for morehouse. it's not a safety if you don't come close to meeting their mission statement. they get many apps form people who thing it would be a "safety" but all they do is take your app money and throw your application in the garbage. their numbers are relatively low because they are looking for a certain type of applicant not because the school is easier to get into.