3.9, 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatsUpPup

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean to only apply IS, no OOS schools?
IL is blessed with a broad variety of medical schools. You are a good candidate for most of them.
If you want to apply to some OOS privates, look for schools where your MCAT is at the median.

IL is blessed with a broad variety of medical schools. You are a good candidate for most of them.
If you want to apply to some OOS privates, look for schools where your MCAT is at the median.

Thank you. I'm planning on applying to MO schools as well, as thats where my UG is.

cGPA: 3.99 sGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 516 (129/127/130/130)

State of residence: IL

Ethnicity: ORM

Undergrad: Small, liberal, private

Clinical experience: ~2000 hours as a scribe in ED. 500 of which are as 'chief scribe', which is basically just the scribe manager and should count as leadership. I trained new scribes, communicated with the medical director on behalf of the scribes, and helped resolve any coding and corporate issues.

Research experience: ~1000 hours in ecology lab. 2 poster presentations at my university, got to travel to collect data, and I should be named on a paper some time in the near future if my PI doesn't screw me over. Also some leadership showing new lab members some techniques, reading papers, etc.

Non-clinical volunteering: ~300 hours volunteer tutoring Somalian refugee families in their homes.

No clinical volunteer experience or shadowing - should I do this in my gap year next year when I'm applying?

Other extracurriculars: Baseball team at my university for 3 years. Worked at a sports center part time for 3 years. Peer tutor at my university for 2 years. Desk job working for my uni's IRB for 1 year.

Awards: Sportsmanship Award (varsity baseball, 2016). Student faculty research grant (2018)

I'm graduating with at BS in biology in December, and plan on applying next cycle. Is there anything I should be concerned about during my gap year, or should I just take the highest paying job available and earn some money. I would also very much appreciate it if the school list wizards would help me out :). Looking to apply MD and DO. Thanks everyone!
You don't need clinical volunteering as you have tons of clinical experience with your scribing. I don't see the need for a gap year...perhaps do some other non-clinical volunteering to show more altruism.
I suggest:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
Your state schools

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't bother with AACOMAS, for your time and money's sake.