MD 3.9 GPA, 520 MCAT school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for medical schools to add to my list. Thanks in advance.
  • Year in school – 3rd, applying this cycle
  • State of Residence: FL
  • Cumulative GPA – 3.93
  • Science GPA – 4.0
  • MCAT – 520 – (C/P130, CARS 131, Bio 128, P/S 131)
  • Research - 400 hours (no publications)
  • Volunteering (clinical) – volunteer EMT – 400 hours; free clinic - 500 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering - 150 hours coaching sports for disabled children over 3 years
  • Physician shadowing – 40 hours family med, 10 hours neurology, 10 hours ophthalmology, 20 hours general surgery
School list so far:
  • Miami
  • UCF
  • UF
  • Emory
  • Duke
  • Baylor
  • UNC
  • Penn

Members don't see this ad.

1. All florida schools - don't skip any

2. Any of the top 20 that strike your fancy except UCLA, UCSD, U of Washington (choose 12-15)

3. 3-5 mid tier schools (USC-Keck, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, UVA, SLU, etc)

4. Remove UNC (they are not OOS friendly - you already have Duke, and if you want another NC option, I would choose Wake Forest)

5. Baylor is likely not a fantastic option as they do favor Texas applicants disproportionately; however, if you really want to be in Texas as an OOS applicant, it is your best choice. Just know that it's not anything close to a sure bet.

Apply to 22-25 schools total (if you apply to fewer, cut out top tiers, and I would recommend applying to absolutely no fewer than 18).

Reactions: 1 user