3.93/3.93/34T-Final list of schools, advice welcomed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snuke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The final day is coming soon and advice is appreciated. I have some time for tweaking experience/shadowing, but obviously, I am what I am at this point.

I will be volunteering in the ER this summer and will be adding more shadowing.

Stats

Majors - Classics and Biochemistry
Attending Hofstra University
MCAT - 10/12/12/T
SGPA - 3.93 CGPA - 3.93

PS written and proofed by a professional editor.

10 year cancer survivor (childhood melanoma). The subject will most likely come up as I have a significant facial scar, but I don't plan on dwelling on it or using it as my inspiration for being a doctor.

Virginia resident, attending NY university

LizzyM score - 72/73

Volunteering

200 hours+ in Emergency Room-lots of contact with patients
50 hours in local free clinic
100 hours volunteering in Chemistry office at school
75 hours tutoring middle and high school students in math and science
100+ hours coaching elementary - high school softball players over 6 summers

Shadowing

50 hours IR
10 hours Pediatrician
10 hours Anestheology

EC's

10 years French horn - still involved. Will be providing a YouTube link to my performing with and without an accompanist.
8 years softball - no longer involved
3 years Pep band - still involved
Medical Misson trip to Thailand - Spring '11 (will be using this experience in secondaries. Eye-opening and incredible!)

Research

1 semester abroad at Kings College London. 200+ hours in a lab working with a researcher. Developed and named my own cell line which is in use for Parkinson's research. Contributed to two papers, one of which is published, the other is in the process.

2 semesters of research at undergrad university

Honors

Dean's List every semester
Phi Beta Kappa

Leadership

Student leader in Pep Band

Jobs

Substitute teacher during breaks

Medical Schools

In my school selection, I'm shooting for a mix of safeties, reaches, and trying to balance how much travel I will need to do. Unfortunately, to graduate on time, I'll be taking 20 hours first semester. I don't think any school is a guarantee, but according to the MSAR, my best chance is at UVA.

Johns Hopkins :love:
Vanderbilt:love:
Baylor:love:
UVA:love:

Emory
Georgetown
NYU
Einstein
SUNY- Stony Brook
Northwestern
Tufts
Indiana
Hofstra
U Penn

``````
So, advice, encouragement, guidance -- it's all appreciated at this point. My transcripts are on the way to AMCAS and I'll be applying early and planning on a quick, quick turn around on secondaries.

Thanks -- You folks here are wonderful resources!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Do you want to add some more reach schools (ivys, top10)? You should be fine to.

I'm concerned about adding too many schools and getting burned out on interviews. Plus, I'm not sure my credentials are strong enough for the Ivies.