3.94 BCPM, 3.88 Overall, MCAT 30 N (13,05,12)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nirs90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.94 BCPM, 3.88 Overall, MCAT 30 N (13,05,12)

I am confused....

I have good GPA and good science score on MCAT but lower verbal, will I get any interview?

Members don't see this ad.

it doesnt really matter, but which section is that 5 in? you absolutely have to retake.

I'm not sure but I think allopathic schools have a cutoff somewhere and I think a verbal of 5 will tank your chances. In the MSAR, I've never seen a 10th percentile below 7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea 7 is the cut off I'm pretty sure, maybe for DO it is lower but for MD lower than 7 is going to need a retake

Then if that's the case it's more a matter of you becoming more fluent. I know you are fluent at this point because obviously your speaking to us but you have to become "more fluent" if that makes sense? Most people do bad in verbal because they're technique or method of going about it is wrong but for you, you just haven't been speaking english as long as the rest of us have so it's understandable you would have a tougher time.

Start reading harder material and more books on a daily basis because your problem is more likely a lack of understanding of the english language rather than a lack of technique. Just my 2 cents

Man, your stats are pretty stellar, how in the world could you score a 5 in verbal? Bringing that baby to a 10 alone would get you in the upper 90th percentile MCAT...

But yeah, a 5 in verbal is pretty horrible, schools will cut you out with that unless you're URM and clearly demonstrate it's a fluke elsewhere.

Then if that's the case it's more a matter of you becoming more fluent. I know you are fluent at this point because obviously your speaking to us but you have to become "more fluent" if that makes sense? Most people do bad in verbal because they're technique or method of going about it is wrong but for you, you just haven't been speaking english as long as the rest of us have so it's understandable you would have a tougher time.

Start reading harder material and more books on a daily basis because your problem is more likely a lack of understanding of the english language rather than a lack of technique. Just my 2 cents

Thank You. I am going to retake it. Still, I am applying to couple of schools. Each aspect of my application is perfect, except this verbal one!!! I have applied for Early decision program, too. If I am lucky and get an interview, I will nail that!!! Finger crossed!!!

Man, your stats are pretty stellar, how in the world could you score a 5 in verbal? Bringing that baby to a 10 alone would get you in the upper 90th percentile MCAT...

But yeah, a 5 in verbal is pretty horrible, schools will cut you out with that unless you're URM and clearly demonstrate it's a fluke elsewhere.

What can I say, I have worked a lot!! Still, on practice ones I was getting 7-8 and I thought may be I get 7-8, I will be good!!!! But end up on 5. :(

Thank You. I am going to retake it. Still, I am applying to couple of schools. Each aspect of my application is perfect, except this verbal one!!! I have applied for Early decision program, too. If I am lucky and get an interview, I will nail that!!! Finger crossed!!!

Schools actually won't consider your application if they see that you have another MCAT scheduled. They will just put it aside and wait for your retake score. Sorry to keep piling on the bad news. :(

You can do it though, the verbal section is about practice. Practice practice practice.

Schools actually won't consider your application if they see that you have another MCAT scheduled. They will just put it aside and wait for your retake score. Sorry to keep piling on the bad news. :(

You can do it though, the verbal section is about practice. Practice practice practice.

I am planning to retake in January and apply for next cycle!!

get the exam krackers books. start by doing several passages a day, timed one passage at a time, for 9 minutes. build up to 2 for 17 mins at a time, and add about 8min 30 sec for each one until you build up to 7 at a time. Practice is key here. After a while you will see what kinds of answers they are looking for and be able to select the right one. Moving at a brisk pace is key too. Don't freak out if one passage takes you 10 or 11 minutes, just focus on the next one.

Apply to DO, there's no way you will get into MD with a 5 on any section especially as an international applicant.