3.97GPA 3.98sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nico11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have a 3.97GPA and 3.98sGPA. I have a total of about 50 hrs of volunteer work and i have 2 shadowing experiences (a 1 day and a 3 day). Though the volunteer work is lacking, I have done research for a year now and will through next year. I spend about 30+ hours a week doing research during the school year. I will also be graduation with a BS and MS in cell biology at the end of my senior year. Assuming i get a 30 on the mcats (which I know is NOT a definite thing, just my average on FLs) how do I stack up? what are my chances of getting into higher up schools (ex yale). Im from CT so I really want to go to Uconn med school but I'm picking schools to apply to now and I just want opinions on where I should be looking. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ivies will be a reach with a 30. Apply broadly to schools in your range and maybe a few reaches. Good luck!

yea ivys are my reach schools and im hoping to do better on the MCATs than a 30 but that has just been my average... one of my big questions is how much having my masters and bachelors after finishing my 4 years of undergrad will help me get in to schools... im hoping that makes up for my lack of volunteer work

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say your chances are not good at ivy. You have the backbone of grades but lack all the EC needed.

one of my big questions is how much having my masters and bachelors after finishing my 4 years of undergrad will help me get in to schools...
You will still need the usual and customary ECs, including clinical exprience (1.5 years is average), shadowing (about 50 hours is average), and nonmedical community service. Research, leadership, and teaching ECs all make an application stronger.