3.98 Gpa 30Q mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottydsntkno

Scottydoesntknow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I am applying this cycle with a

3.98 gpa in molecular bio (top 20 public school)
30Q (10/10/10) mcat

Ecs (just my main)
2 years volunteering in ER including significant time shadowing chief of ER medicine
2 years tutoring sciences, same program hired me to become a peer mentor for a summer
1 summer research (continuing in senior year)
President of club

My lor's should be very strong
it's also worth mentioning I'm white, but have a very strong diversity essay.

My school list is:
In state
Uconn
Yale

Out of state
Nyu
Bu
Tufts
UVM
Albert Einstein
Mt. Sinai
Pittsburg
Cincinnati

I just received my mcat score today and I'm a little disappointed. What schools should I remove/add ( I kno will need more safetys). I prefer east coast.

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what to say. You've got a above average GPA and below average MCAT, that wont get you into top 20 schools which many of your choices are. I would apply to what you have if you chose them for a reason but certainly add at least 5 safety schools. Stats are decent enough to get an acceptance somwhere, don't make the dumb mistake of not applying smartly.

Not sure what to say. You've got a above average GPA and below average MCAT, that wont get you into top 20 schools which many of your choices are. I would apply to what you have if you chose them for a reason but certainly add at least 5 safety schools. Stats are decent enough to get an acceptance somwhere, don't make the dumb mistake of not applying smartly.

I applied to these schools before seeing my mcat. I thought I did well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Scott--

I applied two years ago with nearly identical stats. My cgpa was 3.81, sgpa 3.72, 30Q mcat, and my activities were almost the same too (1000 hrs tutoring, summer of research, 50 hrs shadowing). I am also an East-Coaster. I would recommend applying to the following schools: George Washington, Georgetown, UMaryland, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, UVM. I think I would take Pitt and Sinai off the list.

Unfortunately my first time applying I did not get in, although I did interview at Einstein and UMASS. The problem was at the time of my interview I was not doing anything in the field of medicine and did not really have a reason why. Saying "I tried but the job market is tough" wont cut it, since you can always volunteer at a hospital. So my advice is that with your gpa and MCAT you should get some interviews. Be ready to talk about what you are currently doing in the medical field and how it has improved your desire to pursue medicine.

I ended up taking two years off. I have been volunteering for a hospice, cancer hospital, and HIV clinic. I also re-took my MCAT and got a 35. I am applying this cycle too, hoping for better luck!

Hey all,
So I am applying this cycle with a

3.98 gpa in molecular bio (top 20 public school)
30Q (10/10/10) mcat

Ecs (just my main)
2 years volunteering in ER including significant time shadowing chief of ER medicine
2 years tutoring sciences, same program hired me to become a peer mentor for a summer
1 summer research (continuing in senior year)
President of club

My lor's should be very strong
it's also worth mentioning I'm white, but have a very strong diversity essay.

My school list is:
In state
Uconn
Yale

Out of state
Nyu
Bu
Tufts
UVM
Albert Einstein
Mt. Sinai
Pittsburg
Cincinnati

Fiona thinks you should add schools like: Toledo, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, MCW, Jefferson, Hofstra, Albany, and Drexel.

Yale, Sinai, and Pitt are big reaches w/ a 30 but keep em' if you really like the schools cause ya never know.

Try to apply to more than 10 schools, preferably to at least 15 places that are not reaches (i.e. 15 plus Yale, Sinai, etc..)

Here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618
look for non-state schools w/ an average MCAT of 33 or below.

Do you have any significant non-medical community service or clinical employment/patient care experience? If not I would work on those while you're applying this cycle and send update letters to schools in the fall/spring.

btw I grew up in the same town where Scotty and Mieke went to college.