3.99 / 523 School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astroworld1234

Reaction score
Hi all! Posted before, but with updated school list. Need some help with narrowing it down.

NC Resident, State School, Asian

Would like any advice on what I can do with my app in the coming few months.

cGPA: 3.98 sGPA: 3.99 (3.7 -> 3.99 GPA trend)

MCAT: 523 (132/129/131/131)

Research: ~ 850 hours in Cardiology in a tertiary care center
- 2 middle author pubs in high impact journals in which I contributed significantly, earned Bronze award for cardiovascular imaging in Circulation
- Submitted 3 more middle author pubs
- Currently writing 1st/2nd author article which explores a certain cardiac disease in the Middle Eastern population, the first of its kind.

Paid Clinical: ~1100 hours as a cardiology outpatient clinic scribe.

Unpaid Clinical:
~
250 hours as COVID testing volunteer at Homeless Shelter
~ 120 hours Access to Care in free clinic (helping uninsured patients get enrolled)

Shadowing:
~ 100 hours neurology outpatient clinic
~ Projected 25-50 hours in Cardiac Cath lab

Letters of Rec: 5 total: 3 professors (Biochemistry, Org Chem, Honors College History class), my scribe doctor, and research preceptor

Non-clinical:
~ 120 hours as a peer tutor + private tutor (Bio, Chem, Phys)
~ 150 hours as a biochem TA (anticipate strong letter of rec)
~ 100 hours as a service/outreach chair for the Muslim Student Association, involved in organizing charity events and coordinating with other religious clubs
~ 30-40 hours serving as a general volunteer for my local mosque (scorekeeping for basketball league, helping with video streaming)
~ 100 hours Homeless Shelter volunteer (serving meals and spending time with their population)
Also working with the Lighthouse Project - an initiative created in the name of 3 students who were murdered in NC - general volunteer + planning to create community initiatives surrounding cardiovascular / preventative health (? hours)

Others:
~ 250 hours as Pakistani Student Association club President, organized cultural and service events
~ 100 hours as STEM Journal Club treasurer

Narrative (would appreciate some pointers on this, please be critical!): Early exposure to cardiology through family illness and how this led to my initial interest in medicine. Passionate about preventative health and how it is needed in my culture. Also interested in academia and the spread of knowledge as shown by my research and tutoring.

School List:
Open to any suburban/urban area MD. Have added 58 schools to my list, but I am only looking to apply to 35-40 maximum. Need some help narrowing down with regard to top heaviness and yield protection. In-state NC resident and strong ties to Illinois.
  1. Harvard
  2. Johns Hopkins
  3. UPenn
  4. Columbia
  5. Duke
  6. Stanford
  7. UCSF
  8. Vanderbilt
  9. Washington (Missouri)
  10. Cornell
  11. NYU
  12. Yale
  13. Mayo
  14. Northwestern
  15. UMich
  16. UPitt
  17. Icahn Mount Sinai
  18. UCLA
  19. UChicago
  20. UNC Chapel Hill
  21. Baylor
  22. UT Dallas
  23. Case Western Reserve
  24. UVA
  25. UMich
  26. Warren Alpert (Brown)
  27. Dartmouth
  28. Einstein
  29. Kaiser
  30. Saint Louis
  31. Sidney Kimmel
  32. Rush
  33. UCSF
  34. Georgetown
  35. Rutgers Robert Wood
  36. Rutgers NJ
  37. Hackensack
  38. Tufts
  39. University of Kentucky
  40. University of Connecticut
  41. UMD
  42. Wayne State
  43. University of Colorado
  44. UMiami
  45. UCincinatti
  46. George Washington
  47. Ohio State
  48. Temple
  49. Oakland
  50. Rosalind Franklin
  51. University of Illinois
  52. ECU
  53. Wake Forest
  54. URochester
  55. USF Morsani
  56. Hofstra
  57. Boston University
  58. New York Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I posted previously as indicated in the first sentence of this post. I took the advice from the replies on that post and have come up with a school list that I need help trimming down because of schools that will probably yield protect and also T20s for which I am not a good fit. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cross your list against the AMMSA chapter list if you want to continue with your Muslim identity as a health professional. Regionally Chicago-area through Michigan should have the highest density of Muslim patients, though other major metro areas should as well. Check with the schools where you want to attend about this.

If you grew up in NC, then you can apply to the usual in-state schools, but be aware of their mission fit. ECU and Wake Forest are great schools but advancing with them requires a very strong mission fit (rural underserved for example).

Reach out to the schools where you want to attend and make them want you. Do not count on any full-tuition scholarships, but ask the AMMSA students if there are any at their schools. You can do well with just 30 schools maximum.

Faha provided you with a list that would bring it to about 25 schools. You can try applying to Baylor and UTSW separately on TMDSAS as well. Please do not add schools similar to Rosalind Franklin as you were already told they are unlikely to interview you.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.