3.9gpa, 3.8 science, 26 mcat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agolani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do u guys think my chances are with 3.93 gpa, about 3.8 science gpa and 26 mcat. Applying to all texas med schools. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I applied with lower gpa's, but with the same MCAT and got 2 in-state MD interviews and 3 DO interviews. However, I didn't get accepted to either of my state schools, and I am pretty sure it is because of my MCAT score. You might be ok for TCOM, but for the other Texas schools it is probably a long shot. What is your subsection breakdown? If you are aiming for MD I would definitely retake. Your gpa's are good, but that MCAT score is going to be a real hindrance.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks man...ec's are pretty decent...lot of shadowing and volunteering..no research however...u think retaking it on july 6th would be too late??

If you're planning to only go the MD route then you definitely need to retake the MCAT. The lack of research is also not ideal, i would say it puts you at a disadvantage against other applicants, UNLESS you have something in your ECs that will make you stand out and could sort of make up for that. Though it also kind of depends on where you apply. With your GPA and say a 35 MCAT, numbers wise you're in the running for top schools. But with no research at all...applying to top schools gets much riskier. Applying broadly will be key for you, especially if you plan on leaving your ECs as is.

Hi,

GPA is great, but you def need to take the MCAT again. I believe the average MCAT last year rose to 32, so a 26 won't do it. Very good chance for DO schools though.

thanks guys..i think i will go ahead n retake it

Hey! I had similar stats and applied to all texas schools last year. I ended up submitting my application pretty late-first week in September. I had a 3.8 GPA and I think a 3.9 sGPA. My MCAT was a 27. I was interviewed at 4 schools, and accepted to Texas Tech el paso during the match. I was later accepted to UTMB off the waitlist. To be honest, I really didn't expect to get accepted to anywhere, much less two schools! So I would say be cautiously confident. Also, I can't really say if it made a difference, but I sent a letter of intent to UTMB when I found out I was on the waitlist and 2 weeks later I received an acceptance. So be aggressive with the application process! Apply earlier than I did and maybe you will be interviewed at all 7 schools or however many there are. :p

Hey! I had similar stats and applied to all texas schools last year. I ended up submitting my application pretty late-first week in September. I had a 3.8 GPA and I think a 3.9 sGPA. My MCAT was a 27. I was interviewed at 4 schools, and accepted to Texas Tech el paso during the match. I was later accepted to UTMB off the waitlist. To be honest, I really didn't expect to get accepted to anywhere, much less two schools! So I would say be cautiously confident. Also, I can't really say if it made a difference, but I sent a letter of intent to UTMB when I found out I was on the waitlist and 2 weeks later I received an acceptance. So be aggressive with the application process! Apply earlier than I did and maybe you will be interviewed at all 7 schools or however many there are. :p

what do u guys think my chances are with 3.93 gpa, about 3.8 science gpa and 26 mcat. Applying to all texas med schools. thanks

I applied last Year with very similar stats (3.95 GPA, balanced 28 mcat). I received interview invites from all 8 Texas schools, attended 6 interviews and was accepted at 4. I did apply early June and had relatively good EC'S, LOR's Etc....
I also had no research but lots of volunteering and work experience.

I applied last Year with very similar stats (3.95 GPA, balanced 28 mcat). I received interview invites from all 8 Texas schools, attended 6 interviews and was accepted at 4. I did apply early June and had relatively good EC'S, LOR's Etc....
I also had no research but lots of volunteering and work experience.

oh wow sounds awesome...that gives me a lot of hope...i appreciate it

thanks that helps a lot...i do feel much more confident now...lets see what happens