3.9GPA, 32MCAT, Weak ECs, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kered

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really hoping to apply this cycle:

I graduated in 2012 from the University of Wisconsin, majoring in microbiology with a 3.9 GPA and a 32 MCAT.

I did not do a whole lot of ECs during my undergrad as I worked (sometimes two jobs) to pay my way through school.

Research:
4 years in infectious disease (~15 hours/week during semester, 40 hours/wk during summers, no pubs yet)
Relevant Jobs: 1 year as and RA, 1 year at a pharmaceutical company

ECs
2 semesters as a freshman mentor (~10 hours/week)
Created university staff training for LGBT issues (~40 hours)
Founded a Freshman-specific Gay-Straight Alliance for university residence halls
Local Food Pantry (~20 hours, ongoing)

Shadowing/Clinical
Primary Care (15 hours)
ER Volunteer (~10 hours, ongoing)

I know that my ECs are really weak. I will be adding at least a few hours to some of them this summer, but nothing too drastic.
I am from a very small, rural town in Wisconsin and plan on talking about that in my personal statement. It would be a dream to go to the University of Wisconsin, but I would just like to know my chances at getting in for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Decent chances. Research looks good and stats are fine, could make up for weaker clinical XP. Now just apply broadly and nail that interview.

Your ecs would actually be really good if you had even a years worth of clinical volunteering.

But I do think you'd still have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people on this thread with weaker ecs than you hoping that their excellent ecs will make up for less than steller numbers...

I don't think your ECs are as weak as you indicate, but clinical volunteering would be a welcome addition.

Four years in the same lab without any pubs/posters does make me wonder about your productivity, but I guess that doesn't matter much if you aren't gunning for top research schools.

I think you'll get interviews, but then wait listed. You really need to show us you know what you're getting into. Think of it this way: would you buy a car without test-driving it?

I am really hoping to apply this cycle:

I graduated in 2012 from the University of Wisconsin, majoring in microbiology with a 3.9 GPA and a 32 MCAT.

I did not do a whole lot of ECs during my undergrad as I worked (sometimes two jobs) to pay my way through school.

Research:
4 years in infectious disease (~15 hours/week during semester, 40 hours/wk during summers, no pubs yet)
Relevant Jobs: 1 year as and RA, 1 year at a pharmaceutical company

ECs
2 semesters as a freshman mentor (~10 hours/week)
Created university staff training for LGBT issues (~40 hours)
Founded a Freshman-specific Gay-Straight Alliance for university residence halls
Local Food Pantry (~20 hours, ongoing)

Shadowing/Clinical
Primary Care (15 hours)
ER Volunteer (~10 hours, ongoing)

I know that my ECs are really weak. I will be adding at least a few hours to some of them this summer, but nothing too drastic.
I am from a very small, rural town in Wisconsin and plan on talking about that in my personal statement. It would be a dream to go to the University of Wisconsin, but I would just like to know my chances at getting in for now.

The study I was working on was a longitudinal MRSA infection study that spanned five years, so the pubs are coming, just not yet.