3 C's in post bacc program so far, what should I do????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicinelover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm in need of advice, encouragement, anything! I basically started an informal post bacc jan 08. Ended up getting a C in bio1. Later on did well over summer in orgos. But in the fall got a C in BIo2 and Physics1.

what the hell should i do. Did fairly well in other pre-med requirements. Have two classes left this coming spring 09 with Chem2 and Physics2.

undergrad gpa is about 2.67 and didn't finish sciences which led me to do a postbacc and now those post bacc grades are tearing me down further!

anyone ever get in med school with these stats? Should I bother studying for the mcat and move on? I plan on redoing physics 1 next summer and do mcats around same time and apply for med school that summer too.

what should i do please?!?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

What is you overall science GPA? Your 2.67 overall GPA will keep you out. You need to get your overall as close to 3.0 (ideally over, but I understand its hard to raise that number from 2.67) as possible. As for getting three Cs, you need at least science GPA of 3.0.

Retake physics if you know you can get an A, otherwise you should take another science class you know you can do well in and get an A in that. For allopathic schools what matters more is the overall science gpa than each individual class. If you retake physics and get a B you will raise your GPA, but obviously you will not raise it as much as A. Retaking physics or the two Biology classes will help your GPA for osteopathic school because of the grade replacement, but for allopathic school taking a science class worth the same credit hours you know you can get an A in is a much better option, because it's less of a risk.

Essentially you need to take as many classes as you can until you get both GPAs near or above a 3.0. Whether or not you decide to follow through with medicine depends on how badly you want to be a physician. You have an uphill battle, and you should figure out how many classes you need to take to get your numbers near 3.0 and whether that looks like something you want to do. The more credits you already have, the more difficult it will be. I know that's not rocket science, but something to consider. Ultimately no one else can tell you whether to stick with it other than you. From my experience no one has gotten in with a 2.67 overall... If you want to go more quickly, I would consider going to DO school. You can raise your GPA much more quickly with grade replacement. Is it possible for you to raise your numbers by this summer then apply... Otherwise, give yourself more time to raise your grades. And yes, you will have to do very well on the MCAT.

No you can't get in with a 2.67. If you want to get in with less than a 3.2 you'd need an SMP, no matter how high your MCAT. With less than a 2.75 you really don't have a chance of even getting into the SMP. If you don't get a truely spectacular MCAT you'd need a 3.0 for the SMP. Get your grades up by retaking the classes (if you're sure you can get As) or taking new, easier science classes (otherwise) if you want to get into medical school.

More importantly, you need to address why this is happening. You're barely passing the easiest premed classes. It sounds like your performance has been pretty consistent across your undergrad career, too. You need to examine your study habits and figure out why your grades are so low. Keep in mind that the average matriculant has a 3.6 and a 30. You need to be able to hang in there with that kind of student.

If you're dedicated enough you can do this, and people on this board have dug themselves out of deeper holes. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not going to be easy and I don't disagree with what these other two replies state... But, nobody really knows what is possible until the unlikely succeed.

For the easiest route, consider DO and Caribbean schools. Entrance stats (posted all over the web) make you an unlikely US Allopathic candidate.

hey guys,

i'm in need of advice, encouragement, anything! I basically started an informal post bacc jan 08. Ended up getting a C in bio1. Later on did well over summer in orgos. But in the fall got a C in BIo2 and Physics1.

what the hell should i do. Did fairly well in other pre-med requirements. Have two classes left this coming spring 09 with Chem2 and Physics2.

undergrad gpa is about 2.67 and didn't finish sciences which led me to do a postbacc and now those post bacc grades are tearing me down further!

anyone ever get in med school with these stats? Should I bother studying for the mcat and move on? I plan on redoing physics 1 next summer and do mcats around same time and apply for med school that summer too.

what should i do please?!?!?!?!

What post bacc program accepted you with a 2.67 UG GPA? Very suspicious for any respectable program to accept someone who is unlikely to succeed in the ultimate goal of gaining admissions to med school.

The well regarded PB programs have minimum GPAs for applicants, usually well north of 3.0...

What post bacc program accepted you with a 2.67 UG GPA? Very suspicious for any respectable program to accept someone who is unlikely to succeed in the ultimate goal of gaining admissions to med school.

The well regarded PB programs have minimum GPAs for applicants, usually well north of 3.0...

As the OP said, it's informal. That means he or she is taking the classes on their own (read: no application/admission required) at a local university and working towards completing the prereqs.

As the OP said, it's informal. That means he or she is taking the classes on their own (read: no application/admission required) at a local university and working towards completing the prereqs.

I missed that - his use of the word "program" in his title caught my eye.

Jebus,

Well, as the previous posters said...no one can really say if your chances are shot.

In the DO track though, if you retake all of those classes that you did sub-par in, the AAMCOS or whatever they call it, will replace your C's with the A's or B's that you need. The C's will not be included in your new GPA calculation.

That way, you can drastically increase that 2.67 gpa. Retake those classes though, and dont worry about doing it quickly, if you can't handle the load of multiple science classes (where as most ppl will say you wont be able to hand medical school) just take one at a time. Get into med school and prove em wrong.

Retake the classes and think about a DO or Carribean. US MD schools are possible to get into if you get C's in your undergrad and then retake them for A's in your post-bac, because they're aware that you're young during college and you might make mistakes or not know what you want to do and then wise up by the time you're 21 or 22 and start excelling. But if you're getting C's in your post-bac, that's a big red flag.