1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

<3~*~*dat - 08/03/11*~*~<3

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Clancyp, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Clancyp

Pre-Dental
    FIRST BIT OF ADVICE, do not go eat spicy thai food the night before the test. My brother and his wife thought itd be a nice gesture to take me out to dinner the night before to get my mind off of the test.... didnt work out too well. Think ahead about this kinda stuff haha, it was horrible... especially since the testing center had one bathroom (quite embarrassing).

Secondly, THANK YOU SDN... seriously. For anyone of yall who have posted questions/scores/advice/answers/encouragement. You guys/gals/its are 50% of this score. Without yall's encouragement and scores posted, I would not have driven myself so hard to do well nor fully understand the DAT. I found this site 2 weeks into studying (late May), and I would not make anything near this score without your posts.

PAT - 21 (89.2%)
    QR - 17 (76.6%)
    RC - 19 (67.7%)
    Bio - 20 (91.8%)
    GC - 23 (97.4%)
    OC - 23 (97.3%)
    TS - 21 (96.2%)
    AA - 20 (93.7%)

Test Day Breakdown:

As I said earlier, eat a... subtle dinner. The day before test day I touched up on some circled Destroyer problems and went through Alan's chem/bio notes once lightly. Got out of the apartment for the rest of the day, and hung out with some friends, and had two beers.. which helped immensely.. 1) they made me tired 2) they kept my mind minorly dulled from stressing. Being so tired from the beverage and a late night studying prior, I passed out around 9 and woke up at 6. My test was at 8, so I got to the testing center by 7, and went over the Ochem Roadmaps and then went in to the test. Test moves faster than you would ever expect.

Studying:

I didnt whatsoever expect to do so well on the test, after what I had made on Achiever this previous week. My parents tried to get me to take the Kaplan course which, I thankfully felt like they were wasting money even before reading bad reviews on this site. I assumed that I could do it myself and thankfully found this site with recommending the optimal study materials. I studied since school got out on May while working, so it ended up being about 5-6 hours a day if working or 10-12 when not working. Stopped working 2 prior to my test date to fully focus and get the final studying in, averaged around 10-12 hours a day since. That being said, the final week I took 3 Achiever tests every other day the week before. The days in between I would go over what I missed in detail, and study it further.

Materials:

DAT Destroyer
    CDP (10 tests)
    Cliffs AP Bio
    Alan's Notes
    DAT Q Vault
    Chad's Videos/Notes
    KBB/Online Free Test
    Achiever (3 Tests)

Materials + Studying + Test:

Bio - 20 (DATqVault/Cliff's/KBB/Alan's Notes/Destroyer): As others have said, and I assumed I knew more, this section is random. The questions are all presented simply and are easy to understand. You either know it or you do not. I am a Bio major and could have answered about half of these questions prior to studying just from old classes (if that tells you how easy some of them are). Overall, DATqVault was the most representative how random the questions were, but they were a little too detailed. I took the 3 free tests from that site and received 17/18/18s. I read Cliffs every night before going to sleep, so I probably went through it around 5-6 times. I went through Destroyer's bio section 2-3 times lightly each time, getting a good understanding, but not memorizing anything. I found Alan's notes a week before the test, and on my last read through Cliffs and added information to the notes that I didnt know or were unfamiliar with. For Ecology/Taxonomy/Brain/Ear/Eye Physiology I supplemented KBB and Cambells. This is a section you need to read through everyday to get the grand scheme of it all (like at night).

Gen Chem- 23 - Chads/Destroyer/Alan's Notes.. Chad's videos are a godsend. I took my GC classes last summer over May and June, so when it came to studying this, I knew I had a lot to relearn and learn since the classes were each 3-4 weeks apposed to 3-4 months. I do not have the words to say how grateful I am of these videos. I watched videos once, taking my own notes, and then a week prior to the test, printed out his notes and filled them in with my notes. I then watched through all of the GC videos in 2 days to make sure I understood every concept. Skipped electrolysis both times :p and thankfully didnt get asked on it. Went through destroyer 2-3 times. The actual test was about 1/3 calculations and 2/3 concepts and very simple. Almost all my calculations involved %s of something, whether it be density/solute/weight etc.. nothing difficult. Alan's notes for concepts written down + Chad's videos for tricks/problems + Destroyers repetition and detail = 20+ on GC easily.

Ochem - 23 - Again, Chad... you are amazing. I got used to you saying "cool" after every pause. And am probably going to have difficulty going back to a regular class with boring old powerpoints and teachers. I only took Ochem 1 and then Biochem, so there were a few things I had to learn for this section; such as EAS/Acyl Sub.. actually any reaction with a carboxylic acid/ester/either/reduction/oxidation etc... Chad made this section more than easy. I went through his videos once, like in GC, took notes, did destroyer twice, watched the videos I needed to again, and destroyer once more. This section was easy as Pokemon Snap for N64 for the real test. No tricks, no tricky questions.. just simple reactions and simple concepts. Chad is all you need.

Pat - 21 - CDP - This program is essential to getting a good score on this section. Yes, you may have good perceptual ability, but this program helps you get comfortable with being good with PAT under a constrained time limit. I do a lot of art and photography etc.. and this section always came easy to me. But the time limits are what get you, not the questions. I averaged around 19-23 on CDP, and consistently got 9/15 on angles. CDP is on par with the real DAT in every section except Keyholes and Pattern-Folding. Keyholes are a bit harder, only that it focuses on sizes/lengths of sides and Pattern-Folding is a bit easier, in that it focuses more on the actual shapes than the patterns.. in which the patterns are extremely easy. Angles are just as hard, with maybe 1 to 3 gimmies and the rest are kinda guesstaments. TFE was easy, I never counted sides to begin with, so this section was just like CDP. Cube counting was just like CDP but the arrangements were smaller and less tricky.

RC: This section was what I was worried about beyond belief. I took the achiever tests and did poorly on these sections never breaking 15. I did the kaplan method of reading fast, and numbering each paragraph with a corresponding note or two to help remember were everything was. I guess I read kind of slow... I finished each reading section in about 11 minutes. And would scramble through the questions. Once 20 minutes had passed I would usually have about 3-5 questions left and I would quickly run through them.. rarely checking the actual passage. I thought I got at most a 17 on this section, I panic'd and had a hard time retaining the questions although they were SIGNIFICANTLY easier than achiever's, which asked questions comparing two-three topics from different paragraphs. Luckd out here I think. Passages were on easy subjects but with some intense wording. I feel like Search and Destroy is easily possible on this test. I never did it, but the questions were pretty simple if you could identify the correct portion of the passage.

QR: (Achiever/Dat Destroyer/Chad's Videos) Chads QR videos are a great start. The key to this section is practice. All of the questions, except for 1 or 2, were extremely doable. Time is of the essence during this section, and thats why I did bad. I came to a question, and if I knew it'd take ME more than 2 minutes Id mark them. I finished with about 10 minutes left and started going though the marked questions and only got to rework a few. If I went back in time, id watch Chad's videos before chem/ochem for QR and start doing Math Destroyer every other day timed. This section isnt hard, but after 3.5 hours of testing and with its time limits, its probably the most demanding.

Achiever Scores:
    Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
    1: 18/19/17/17/15/17
    2: 17/17/17/18/16/17
    3: 16/18/17/21/16/18

Reqs: Bio Major: sGPA 3.45 GPA 3.60, 400+ hours shadowing, multiple clubs, many community service activities, multiple chair positions in a few honors societies/fraternity, multiple self-drawn taxonomy bone diagrams published in scientific articles etc..

#1 Clancyp, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good job bud. Now relax and do something fun, like Golf for example.;)

4. Clancyp

Pre-Dental
    Work at a golf course in Augusta, GA... hmmm can you guess where? Might make you jealous? Haha, I think thats exactly what I'll do.

5. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You lucky ______. That's great man. Hit em' straight with a full shoulder turn and steady spine angle. :laugh: Or better yet, like Tiger pre-sex scandal.

6. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    That is totally awesome dude!!!! You're sure gonna get in now with your scores and GPA. What school are u applying to?

7. Philippines03j

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Awesome! Good luck in your interviews :thumbup:

8. tayloreve

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congrats :) good luck with interviews!

9. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Fantastic job dude, I was hoping you'd do well. :thumbup:

10. wired202808

wired202808 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

haha congrats my friend! and u were nervous as beeswax hahah u nailed it outta the ballpark. now go crack open a few brewskies and enjoy!

11. Dusk

Dusk Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congratulations! I can't wait to be you in about a month..

12. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good job! This score is par for the course, definitely a good job.

13. njohns24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#12 njohns24, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  14. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Nice job dude!

I used to work as a caddy when I was in high school at a country club with a bunch of cheap charlies lol -- worst summer job in the world!

15. Clancyp

Pre-Dental
    Thanks guys! Forgot to mention my computer froze during the PAT.

Nova, Georgia, Iowa, Alabama, South Carolina, Colorado, and North Carolina. Fingers crossed!

16. Teeths

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Great job!

If you don't mind me asking... did you use Chad's quizzes for Ochem and Gen Chem? What did you think of them in terms of difficulty vs. the DAT?

Thanks, and again... way to go! :)