• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

prominence

15+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i plan to do a 3 week elective in anesthesiology, and will then attempt to get a letter of recommendation from the dept chair. would the letter carry "more weight" if i extended the rotation to 4 weeks?

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I agree to a point that no, 3 vs 4 weeks won't make a difference. Getting a dept. chair letter means that you 1) will have worked with him/her one on one and he/she knows you well enough to write a letter, or 2) you have made a good impression on an attending or two and they recommend you through comments in an evaluation. In my away elective experience, dept. chair contact was pretty limited. I ended up asking an attending that I worked with for 2 weeks. I think that a mediocre dept. chair letter that says 'so and so was here for 3 weeks, showed up on time and was interested' is worse than an attending letter saying 'you were great, a real standout, very interested and I have observed these qualities firsthand.' There are a few variables, however. The main one being exactly who the chair is and where they are at. If it's a great nationally known program, then any letter might be good. Where would you lose this week anyways if you did 4 weeks? If it would throw off the rest of your year then forget about it, but if you lose a week of vacation then think about doing 4 weeks and chalking it up to an investment in your future in getting a great over a mediocre letter.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.