Dec 9, 2012
Status
Hey my school offers 3 different general physics sequences. A 2 semester algebra based sequence and 2 calculus based sequences, that both cover the same topics but one does it in 3 semesters, the other in two.

I want to take the algebra based one but that one might fill up too fast. So if I take the 3 semester sequence, will that look bad compared to students who take the 2 semester sequence?

Lya

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2013
NY
Status
Medical Student
I would try to get that algebra-based one. No, it will not look bad.

turayza

5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Is the 3-semester calc-based series the same as the 2-semester one, but slowing down the material? Or does it go more in-depth/advanced than the 2-semester series?

If in the first case: you probably want to take the 2-semester series so you don't waste a precious semester that you could be doing something else in (either another pre-req, major/minor requirement, or-gasp-something you enjoy).
If in the second case: unless you're interested in physics and particularly like it, there's no reason to take a more advanced physics class. All you need for medicine is the the algebra-based physics.

I don't know how it is for registering for classes at your school, but we tend to have a lot of students adding/dropping even throughout the first week, so you could try to get in to the algebra-based physics even if it fills? (Register for something else while you're trying, of course.)

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Hey my school offers 3 different general physics sequences. A 2 semester algebra based sequence and 2 calculus based sequences, that both cover the same topics but one does it in 3 semesters, the other in two.

I want to take the algebra based one but that one might fill up too fast. So if I take the 3 semester sequence, will that look bad compared to students who take the 2 semester sequence?
Honestly I recommend the calculus-based sequence (see my signature why) and it's better for all universities to get rid of that useless algebra-based sequence.

But if you love memorization without understanding the concepts (i.e. can't stand calculus and just want to dispose physics), go for algebra-based physics. Just don't get mad when you don't understand what you're learning and you have to restudy the entire thing for MCAT prep.

And no. You will not look bad. Adcoms do not care at all. Just do well.