3 Ws--will they ruin my chances at Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessiej

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a student at a State University with a 3.6 cumulative GPA. My major is Computer Science (yeah, very odd major for premed), but I am taking the required courses for medical school because I have decided I want to go into a career that is a lot more people-oriented. I am a junior, but I am not planning on applying to med school until 2013.

However, I do have a bump or two in my academic record. I have taken 2 W's, and I got a C in first semester intro biology. I retook the intro biology course during the Summer and ended up getting a C again :/. My overall science GPA has been around a 3.4, and it will go up after I complete this semester (I'm probably going to get an A in a four credit hour science class).

I wouldn't have worried too much about my record, except I seem to have gotten in over my head this semester with taking 15 credit hours of upper-division Computer Science classes and another four credit hours of second semester intro biology. One of my CSE classes is absolutely terrible (the professor is failing around 3/4 of the class, and doesn't use a curve) and most of my other classes aren't going as well as I'd like because I'm spending all of my time trying to pass that CSE class. I'm probably going to have to take a W for that CSE class, because I think I will get an E if I don't :(.

So, I'm wondering....would an admissions committee be likely to automatically take me out of the running if I applied to Med school with three Ws and a 3.6? I would really appreciate some opinions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yep.....and by yep I mean nope.

3 Ws aren't going to break you. They may ask about them, but you aren't going to get any auto rejections because of them. You're good.

I concur with the comments above. 3 won't break your application. It's better than destroying your GPA.