3 year Med School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the 3-year program at NYU, you first need to be accepted by NYU. You then complete a separate application to the residency program. The residency program director (or committee) will then review your application and may choose to offer you an interview, which will happen in the spring (several happened around revisit weekend) and will more resemble a traditional residency interview (i.e. several short interviews). The post-interview success rate also varies wildly between specialties as each program is run by different director. Most applicants I knew who interviewed for the 3-year program were not accepted despite publications and extensive experience in their field of choice. It's an extremely competitive process because you not only have to hurdle two application committees, but you also essentially have to meet the standards of a third/fourth year medical student to get the final "yes" from the residency program. That being said, it seems like NYU wants to expand this program, so who knows how the process will be like this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you agree with that article ? and how do most people feel about having a shorter med school ?
I have no experience to say if "most people feel" any of this.

The Green Bay Campus of MCW is also 3 years. But I don't think it involves direct entry into residency and it requires summer school.

No, I don't believe the MCW-Green Bay program feeds into any residencies. I'm pretty curious what people think about these programs. One aspect that I don't get is how these M3's are expected to interview while they're on intense rotations that don't lend themselves to time off. Moreover, how are they supposed to know what field of medicine they are interested in for a career? For the gunners who think they know exactly what they want to do and can get it done in an abbreviated curriculum, it seems like a good fit. Originally, I heard this program sold as a means of increasing the primary care pool of physicians in an expedited manner. When I looked at the curriculum's website a few months ago, however, I didn't see primary care mentioned once.