3 year vs. 4 year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of posts lately about how you pretty much don't have a life if you're in a 3 year program. Is this really true? Is it that bad? I was wondering if some of the folks in 3 year programs (especially if you go to South University) could comment on whether you regret being in a 3 year program.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends if you had a life prior to pharmacy school. If you didn't have one, then you got nothing to worry about!

You get a few weeks off a year and thats it. Some can handle it. Some can't.

If I was to do it all over again, I would have gone to a 4 year school.

I think a 3 year program is good for those older folks that have kids and a family and need to get out early, but usually people who are still younger and right out of college might prefer a 4 year program because you can have fun in the middle and enjoy new experiences. But i am myself at a point where I can't decide which one would be better for me. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't decide either... that's why I would really like to hear others' opinions who already attend a 3 year school. I'm single (25) and don't have a family or anything, but I'm a career changer so I guess I'm one of those special cases. :D Abilify, which school do you attend and are you really studying all the time? By the way, I have a life now and would like to have one during pharmacy school. :laugh:

you also have to consider the fact that 3 year programs make you rush through your required hours of clinical work before taking the NAPLEX...

DoctorAJ said:
you also have to consider the fact that 3 year programs make you rush through your required hours of clinical work before taking the NAPLEX...

You're referring to rotations right? South has you start the first one your 2nd year, but I don't think this is true for all 3 year programs. So I think in South's case, you wouldn't be rushing to complete your clinical hours before taking the NAPLEX. At least, I hope this is true. Thanks for your input.

starsweet said:
I can't decide either... that's why I would really like to hear others' opinions who already attend a 3 year school. I'm single (25) and don't have a family or anything, but I'm a career changer so I guess I'm one of those special cases. :D Abilify, which school do you attend and are you really studying all the time? By the way, I have a life now and would like to have one during pharmacy school. :laugh:
I go to the University of Vermont School of Pharmacy. We are a 3 year program as well.

As far as your clinical hours @ South, I'm originally from Georgia and from what I hear, you need to work 500 hours outside of school before you can take the NAPLEX.

Abilify said:
I go to the University of Vermont School of Pharmacy. We are a 3 year program as well.

As far as your clinical hours @ South, I'm originally from Georgia and from what I hear, you need to work 500 hours outside of school before you can take the NAPLEX.

The 500hrs outside of school required to take NAPLEX in GA may be a requirement by the state board of pharmacy; not the University. Many states are requiring "pharmacy interns" to register w/ the state board of pharmacy in order that hours can be calculated for licensure. In this context a "pharmacy intern" is a pharmacy student who is working as a tech (w/ pay) in some field of pharmacy and supposedly supervised by some manager within the pharmacy, all for the hopes of giving the student/intern more insight to their potential as a pharmacist and any other extra mentoring. Reality is often a bit less glamorous and you just end up working as a tech who just happens to also be in pharmacy school and the manager/supervisor just signs off on the hours when completed. Albeit some facilities have more formal programs that are actually quite beneficial to the intern. Hours required to take the boards (in addition to any extern hrs encountered via the school of phamacy) vary from one state to the next.

OP of 3 yrs vs 4 yrs...you'd have to consider quality of life and monetary issues of whether you can survive financially and maintain a normal peace of mind at the same time while going to school yr round?

I have visited South out of curiosity and the campus is tiny and everyone seems really nice. There should be no problem doing the 3-year pharm program. The feel of it is almost like a program that is used to get retail pharmacists into the job market as fast as possible. So if that is your goal, which I sense it is, (switching from engineering/ cs I think at GA Tech to pharmacy) then go to South.

Abilify said:

This is correct - the GA board requires 2000 total hours before you can sit for licensure. They will give you credite for 1500 from your required rotations, so you have to get the other 500 at another time, and my understanding is that it cannot be when school is in session.

Starsweet, fyi this was mentioned when I interviewed with Creighton because the web-based program is a year-round program, therefore they have some students who have to work as an intern after they graduate to make up that 500 hours before they can take NAPLEX. They are considering changing it so that the web-based students don't go to school all summer because of this hours conflict in some states.

cdpiano27 said:
I have visited South out of curiosity and the campus is tiny and everyone seems really nice. There should be no problem doing the 3-year pharm program. The feel of it is almost like a program that is used to get retail pharmacists into the job market as fast as possible. So if that is your goal, which I sense it is, (switching from engineering/ cs I think at GA Tech to pharmacy) then go to South.

You're right on the money! I do want to make a smooth switch from engineering to pharmacy. I just hope that the 3 years aren't too brutal... I emailed a few folks in the program but have yet to hear from them. Of course I still have some other schools to hear back from. Did you also apply to South?

rxlynn, I didn't know that about Creighton, I think it would be a great idea to make it more like traditional 4 year programs where you don't go year round. Of course I probably won't get in there, as they are asking me to retake Chemistry I or II to fulfill their requirements!

Hi,

I was curious if anyone have any info or experience with the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy Program? They also offer a 3 yr program. Any feed back would be helpful.

thanks,
HT

does anyone know how many hours are needed to sit for the CA Naplex?

Also, those of you in the 3 years programs...is it possible to work at all (even like 1 day on the weekend) or is the schedule too damanding? Is it an easier transition to a 3 yr program if you are used to the quarter system? :confused:

Hey-
I'm just getting ready to start pharmacy school in the fall so I don't know about the whole working thing but I do know that CA requires 1500 hours of experience.

Bob_Loblaw said:
does anyone know how many hours are needed to sit for the CA Naplex?

Also, those of you in the 3 years programs...is it possible to work at all (even like 1 day on the weekend) or is the schedule too damanding? Is it an easier transition to a 3 yr program if you are used to the quarter system? :confused:

I'm in the 3-yr program at MCPHS, and I work 12 hours a week--one weeknight and a full shift on Sunday. My roommate, who is in the same program, works a full shift on Friday and 5-6 hours on Saturday.

Not all 3-yr programs use quarters (mine doesn't), so being accustomed to the quarter system doesn't necessarily help.