3 yr vs 4 yr programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Converted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've looked through neurology programs in CA on FREIDA and saw some programs are 3 years while others are 4 years. Some accept applicants and others don't for the "Next year".

Could someone please shed light on the difference between a 3 and a 4 yr program and why up to 65% or more programs don't accept applicants?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are programs that are considered "Categorical" and others considered "Advanced." The concept has to do with whether the program offers you an integrated preliminary year or not. The categorical programs in Neurology are all 4 years in length, and your preliminary year (usually an internal medicine year w/ room for some electives) is included. In advanced programs, the preliminary year is not included, so you have to apply for one separately on ERAS (there is a supplementation application section). These advanced programs, therefore, are 3 years in length.

As far as acceptance goes, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I think what they are trying to say is that when you apply for an advanced position, you have to simultaneously apply for a separate prelim position. Therefore you match both programs at the same time, and there isn't much room for someone to join the program otherwise? Not sure if that made much sense or helped, but I gave it a try... :)