DO 30 MCAT, 3.4 cumulative, 3.1 science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EReid1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got the results of my April 11 MCAT. Ended up with 8PS 11VR 11BS. I'm not really sure where this puts me as far as competitiveness for DO schools go. I have all the usual volunteering stuff. I'm currently working as an ER tech in a level 1 trauma center. I've ruled out MD because of my low GPA.

Any ideas in where to apply? I'm from California so I'm thinking Western and Touro for sure. Not sure where else.

Thanks!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Looking pretty good, apply to maybe 10 schools you are interested in and you should get some love. Gratz on that 30 MCAT!
I mean there are a couple schools out in Arizona, then the two you mentioned. Then there is a ton in the midwest (DMU and CCOM come to mind) then a whole bunch on the east coast. I think NOVA down in florida appreciates high MCAT scores.

You did fine on science sections of the MCAT, which I believe is beneficial for you because you have a low science GPA. Should help you out everywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, guys. Any use in applying to some of the "top tier" DO schools (eg PCOM)? I've heard generally they take a holistic approach when looking at applicants, so I'm hoping that my 2 years of ER tech experience will be factored in. Am I being overly optimistic?

Also, from what I understand there are schools that require a letter from a DO. This I lack -- though I do have one from an MD at my work (UCSF Fresno).

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thanks for the replies, guys. Any use in applying to some of the "top tier" DO schools (eg PCOM)? I've heard generally they take a holistic approach when looking at applicants, so I'm hoping that my 2 years of ER tech experience will be factored in. Am I being overly optimistic?

Also, from what I understand there are schools that require a letter from a DO. This I lack -- though I do have one from an MD at my work (UCSF Fresno).

Posted using SDN Mobile

Apply to PCOM.

Posted using SDN Mobile

If you have the funds then you should def apply to PCOM. I wouldn't say they take a hollistc aproach, more of a random whatever they like approach.

I think you should have a shot at touro ca or western if you apply very early.

Good luck