30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

No one should prepare the way I did: scantily.

Also, no one should do the other thing I did: take it without having most of the pre-reqs. I've only had Physics I and A&P. I AP'd out of General Chem.

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 32R. 10 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS.

2) The study method used for each section: Having not had most of the courses, I basically had to teach myself O-chem. I did that with a text that my UG institution uses. I mainly reviewed with the Kaplan book (see below)

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc): I almost exclusively used the Kaplan Premier program 07-08 book, and skimmed through MCAT 45. I used a text by Ege for O-chem and some other review books for Genetics/Microbio.

4) Which practice tests did you use? AAMC and Kaplan

5) What was your undergraduate major? Exercise Physiology

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? I wouldn't do a lion's share of full-length tests. I would take at least 3 to get a good feel for the timing, and then add more as you have time/money. I am a non-traditional with a family, and spending $35/test was an extra expense I couldn't easily afford. Probably the greatest tip is to start reviewing early and don't freak out. If you get especially nervous about tests, concentrate extra on this area. It makes a huge difference.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? About 1 month and a half--this is of course not normal. I would recommend 3-6 months.

:luck: to those who have yet to endure it.

Phys:13
Bio:13
Verbal:11
Writing:N :(

2)
One thing that really helped me is that I tutor organic chemistry at my school, so I didn´t have to study for that since I´ve been exposed to the material ALOT over the past year. For physics, I re-memorized a few key formulas that I noticed were recurring in my practice exams. I did quite a few practice problems in physics (my weakest area) from the Examkrackers books. For bio, I already felt like I had a really good grasp of most of the concepts, so I did a lot of reading and re-learning/memorizing. I´m so grateful that I took an advanced genetics course last semester. If I could pinpoint one class that gave me an edge, it was genetics. I noticed that many of the bio sections have topics relating to genetics, and having previous knowledge of the subject matter makes the test go faster. Take as many practice exams as you can, and don´t procrastinate.
I didn´t do anything for the writing sample. I had a hard time with it during the exam because I was obsessing over which physics questions I had missed, haha!
Verbal: practice exams
3)
I took the local course offered by my university but didn´t find it helpful so I really didn´t go. I ended up buying the Kaplan 2007 MCAT Prep book and that was helpful to me. I kind of started studying late in the game, so I ended up buying 1001 Physics and 1001 Chemistry questions from Examkrackers, which I found to be very helpful. I found the Examkrackers material to be quite a bit more difficult than what I encountered in practice exams and on the real thing, but it really prepared me well. Honestly, I´ve heard from numerous friends that the Princeton Review/Kaplan review classes themselves weren´t exceptionally helpful, but the plethora of practice material they offer is worth the cost, especially the practice tests.

All the AAMC

Spanish and Environmental Health

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Don´t procrastinate, don´t let what others have told you about the test bring you down and stress you out. It´s not impossible to get a decent score.

Took it July 24th, started studying end of May/beginning of June. I definitely procrastinated, and that proved to be stressful. I had no life this summer, and I vividly recall sitting at home at 10 p.m. and wistfully listening to the fireworks outside...

What is TPR??? Princeton Review??Plz share

PS 15
VR 12
BS 11
WS S

38S

VR - Being an English major, I decided to concentrate more on the science sections as far as studying went (I personally don't believe it's possible to improve in VR beyond a certain limited range). It's important to do enough passages to get your timing down correct. TPR, for example, teaches that there is a "killer" passage that you should save until last and then guess on. If you just want a 10, this advice will probably work, if you do well on all of the other passages. If you're aiming high, however, you should disregard this, and practice your timing until you can finish all 9 passages, with time to spare.

PS - I took TPR, and did all of the passages in the workbook. I kept track of all of my mistakes and studied those areas of weakness in depth before moving on. I also did all of the reading in the review book - I know lots of people ignore this, but I think it's helpful.

BS - Same as what I did for PS. Results weren't as shiny, though. =P

WS - Basically nothing. Again, I'm an English major and pretty confident in my writing abilities, so I concentrated on sciences. If you take TPR, follow the formula exactly, and you'll do fine.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Just TPR and what came with it. I was going to use EK for OChem, since TPR's coverage is pretty weak, but was too lazy to go for it in the end.

AAMC 6R, 7
TPR Diags

English

The lecture component of any prep course is just a formality. Think of it as a supplement and not the most important thing. The best thing you can do is read the review books, and then ask the teachers if you have any questions or problems.

If you take TPR (or any prep course, I imagine), follow the calendar and do ALL of the assignments. Keep track of your weak areas, and work to improve them.

Biochemistry and Physiology are EXTREMELY helpful for the BS portion of the MCAT. After biochemistry, you will be a wizard with proteins, molecular biology, and DNA. It will save you a lot of study time.

Late January until April 16th...more or less 4 hours a day on average, 4 or 5 days a week. Spent spring break doing practice exams.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping this thread for the August 6 testers. I hope that when scores come out on Wednesday, those that took it on the 9th and 14th will post here as well.

August 6th Scores: 12 P / 11 V / 10 B = 33R

First, I come from a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major background.

I completely self-studied for this test using the EK Complete Package, plus the EK Verbal 101 and the EK Biology 1001.

I made a schedule that went from beginning of June to the test date. I read a chapter out of the EK books every weekday, then on the weekends tried to take the 30 min review tests. I say tried because I like my weekends, and ended up not exactly taking every 30 minute test (probably 1/2 of them or so). While reading each chapter, I took my own notes over everything presented.

I did OK sticking to the Verbal book, but not so great on the Biology book. One might suggest it could have helped my score, but for argument's sake, I was scoring ~11-12 on most onlines, so the 10 was acceptable but not exactly accurate, I feel.

A lot of people ask about Verbal. I'm just a guy that simply reads the dang passage and answers the dang questions. Sorry, I know you want to hear something complex that, if you do it, you will somehow magically score a 10+ in VR. I just don't believe it's possible. If you want the real "complex method," it's becoming familiar with passages like that, instead of Dr. Seuss. It's not something that is going to change two weeks, or even two months, before your test. If you're having problems, you have got to start very early by immersing yourself in technical and philosophical passages.
[I think it helped that I had a philosophy-esque class where all we did was analyze various people's philosophies through reading and analysis by discussion. Reading stuff like The Communist Manifesto and complex poems of Lord Byron over the course of a semester helped a lot. If you're got a class like this, I would highly recommend it. That's how you prepare for VR.]

My schedule allowed me about 3 weeks to review everything once over and take practice tests, which I followed completely. I took the EK paper practice test, then AAMC 3, 7, 8, 9, 10. My scores were actually varied quite a bit between them, and not really consistent. I had two low 30s, and two upper 30s. I felt solidly prepared going into the exam.

So overall suggestions:
1) If you're finishing practice tests with barely enough time, you've got to figure something out to push yourself. It happened to me and I know several others: I could normally finish e-mcats PS with ~10 min, and BS wwith ~15 minutes to spare. However on the actual exam, it's completely different, and I essentially nearly ran out of time... only really had enough time to double check a few iffy ones. You've got to get your practice tests to where you've got probably a good 5 minutes in the PS and BS. [I found verbal to compare rather well, a bit longer passages but slightly easier questions, so it balanced out, I felt.]

2) Be confident on test day, and even more so, after your test day. I look back at both my PS and BS, and realized I missed a really, really dumb question in both sections. Don't fret after it... don't stalk SDN for the next 30 days, it's only going to make it worse.

3) Though I think it's a given, take as many practice tests as possible.

4) Realize you're probably going to make a stupid mistake somewhere; but also realize you're probably going to get one or two hard questions right by [educated] guessing that you wouldn't otherwise answer right.

I know there's a lot more of my experience that would be of use, but I simply can't remember it all - three months of preparation for a test in which we use maybe 5% of what we learn, which is probably the most disappointing thing of this whole process.

Good luck to everyone.

June 2007 - 10 PS, 10 VS, 13 BS, Writing S = 33S
(Older scores for reference, Aug 2004 - 28R & Aug 2002 - 27R)

PS and BS are knowledge-heavy, but if you focus too much on memorization, you will get swamped. I did a bit of a balancing act with memorization and practice. The TPR lectures were good to get basics down on each topic, then I would find all of the sections I got less than half right on, re-read all of the reading materials on that topic, do all of the problems available to me on that topic (mainly 1001 EK books), then look for an improvement. Rinse, lather, repeat.

For VS, I spent the most time dissecting out the reasons why I answered a question wrong (and sometimes right). A lot of it is just getting a feel for the passages and the question types. The AAMC diagnostic report was outstanding for figuring out what was going wrong.

For WS, I didn't prep at all. I wrote one timed essay for the TPR classwork but after that didn't bother. The challenge I think most have is to take a stance. I felt no hesitation to take a firm stance in my essays, and I think it pays off. It comes off less vague and there's an argument that comes through in the pro/con style of writing. My only advice is to take a stance, regardless of how absurd the prompt is.

Princeton Review Course + 1001 EK Books

All online AAMCs and TPR diags. This was plenty.

Biology

Discipline. This is a test of wills and endurance. Don't get discouraged along the way. If you need structure, take a course. If it's cost prohibitive, print out a 3-month calendar and write down exactly what you will do in preparation. If you deviate, make sure you revise your schedule. There's so much information to absorb that the best absorption is one that is controlled. Make sure you put in enough time to do at least 7 practice tests along the way. It was at about the 7th test that my scores started to get to a level I was happy with.

3 months while working full-time. Discipline is key.

PS:10
VR:10
BS:11
31Q
(Aug.6, 2007)

I took the TPR classroom course. I focussed most heavily on PS since that's my weak point. BS was mainly a lot of review, with some memorization (ex. hormones). To prepare for the sciences, I just did as much review and practice as possible (entire science workbook, class notes).

As for VR, I used the verbal workbook and used TPR's method (ranking, notating) and PRACTICED. For the writing sample, I just kept up to date with current events to use as examples.

TPR materials, as well as AAMC tests.

TPR, but I focussed mostly on the AAMC tests (4-10)

Biology

Try not to burn yourself out.

From late May until August 5th.

PS:13
VR:08
BS:12
33 T
(Aug 6, 2007)

I took the Kaplan course and used their online material. By the time I had taken the test, I did about 20 practice tests, all of the online material and about half of it twice, in addition to three EK books.

For PS, I had just taken physics so I was set for that. I reviewed the material, did a lot of Kaplan's quiz sections and just learned from mistakes. I focused on problem areas (acid/base chemistry, electricity, fluids) and made sure that I was ok for that stuff.

For BS, I was an orgo whiz for some reason. I studied very very hard for orgo throughout the year, so I never looked it over for the MCAT. Bio was a different story. I was set with physiology, even though I reviewed it a lot for the MCAT. Genetics I had taken earlier but it would still present a hard passage for me. I had never studied immunology, so I had to read about that a bit.

For verbal, I did an EK book and every Kaplan test. I felt solid on it eventually and, being an English major, assumed that I could read regular things and answer questions based on them. I scored an 8 on my diagnostic and 10-14 for every practice test after that. I have no idea why my score fell so low. I expected to do a lot better.

Kaplan online material and books, EK books, AAMC

I used Kaplan to get a feel of what it's like to be insanely challenged and I didn't take those scores too seriously. I used AAMC to be realistic. I found that the real thing was like being blindsided by the strangest passages of both types of tests.

English

Just listen to yourself I guess. Take a few days off here and there. I did once and a while - it really helped. Also, try to cut out distractions. I studied at home a lot and was bothered by my brothers and sisters constantly.

Graduation day (may 17th) until august 5th.

I was scheduled for july 24th and I felt genuinely ready by july 13th. i think i went downhill around july 20th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably burnout.

the ac in my testing center was broken. the room was 100 degrees plus and i fainted during verbal. i didn't wake up for ten minutes, so i had to void. literally a burnout, yes. but not a burnout in the traditional "this is hard, my head hurts" way.

August 9th test: 36T

12 VR
11 BS
13 PS

VR - I'm not sure how to offer advice about this section. I am an English major at an extremely competitive university, and I made a 770 on the SAT verbal, so I almost expected to do well. My only recommendation would be to use the 101 Verbal Passages Examkrackers book to get a real idea of what the test is like. When you are reviewing your wrong answers, be sure to realize the reason they were wrong; this will help you develop some intuition about the ways the test makers try to trick you. One of the most common techniques they use is to directly quote the passage in questions for wrong answers--the real answer will be more subtle, and you must be aware of that in your guesses. Finally, do not allow yourself to run out of time or lose confidence over questions you are not sure of. I did quite well, and I would say that I was confident about 50% of the questions, and felt like I was making nothing but educated guesses about the other 50%. No matter how you do, you won't feel good about this section after you've taken it.

PS - I'm a very strong student in chemistry, being a major in biochemistry, but preparing for this section was a challenge for me because I am not particularly talented at physics. I read the Examkrackers Physics and Chemistry books, the NOVA physics book (a lifesaver -- get it!), and the Kaplan Physics and Chemistry review sections. My boyfriend graduated from University of Michigan with a physics degree, so I got a lot of extra tutoring from him about the concepts I wasn't sure of. In retrospect, I would advise people to spend more time doing scientific notation multiplication and whatnot without a calculator; my test was calculation-heavy and it made me a little nervous. Do not spend too much time memorizing formulas, except for the major ones. You will get answers right because you understand the concepts and relationships, not because you know formulas.

BS - I'm a biochemistry major, and this was my only score on the test that I felt even slightly disappointed in. I have a strong background in molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, and immunology, so to prepare for the physiology part, I read the Examkrackers books for Biology and Organic Chemistry, and the Kaplan review book as well.

WS - Again, I feel like this is a section you're either strong at or you're not, although I think improving on it is easier than improving on VR. I never practiced a single writing sample before the test, so if you're an English major (or another humanities major, or someone who is just skilled at writing), I wouldn't sweat it with this section.

That was very detailed and long, but I hope it helps someone. :)

August 9 Administration

VR:10
PS:10
BS:11

Total: 31R

Kaplan Diag
VR:7
PS:7
BS:4
Total:18

VR: This was kind of a weird section for me this summer when studying and preparing. I have NEVER been good at standardized tests. The Verbal sections on the SAT and ACT were always my worst by far. In trying to get better for VR this summer all I did was use the CBT Passages to study and that's it. I prayed for a decent verbal section on the MCAT and got lucky with it.

PS: I had not taken physics in 4 years before I started studying so I had a lot of work to do. Overall, it wasnt that bad. I am a 5th year Chemical Engineering student and am pretty solid with chemistry in general and my MCAT was at least 50% chem so I was happy. To study, I mainly read all the Kaplan MCAT material, did a ton of practice problems, and did all the CBTs.

BS: By far the section I worried about the most starting off this summer and surprisingly my best section! I have not taken Biology yet so it was a bit of a struggle to get things off the ground so I focused on this section more than anything else. The Kaplan material was AMAZING. I learned so much about Bio from doing their section tests, homework, and more. I felt extremely prepared and with an 11 on BS I cant complain.

WS: Something that doesnt matter much and I didnt prepare for at all. My prompts were so dumb and I thought I screwed it up pretty bad, so an R was very surprising. I guess it was just a bad day for essays because mine were not good at all.

Overall: This was one hell of a test and I am so glad that it is over. I would highly recommend Kaplan to anyone that takes this test. I did not know Bio at all and Kaplan alone showed me what I needed to know without any BS. There was not a single problem that I saw that was over a subject I had never seen.

PS: 9 VR: 10 BS: 11

30M

PS: diag score was a 4. this was my weakest section. i focused on this section the most. i took TPR and their book was sufficient enough for me to get a 9. i thought i did a lot better (like a 12) but i guess not. i did the science workbook from TPR and it helped and i also did EK's 1001 physics/chem workbook.

VR: diag score was a 4. this was not too bad of a section for me. after my first 2-3 tests, i was getting all 10's on my VR. i didnt do anything special except getting use to the format. i did maybe one section in the EK 101 workbook. i didnt try to get any better, i told myself i would be satisfied with getting a 10. i never got anything higher than a 10 on all my practice tests. however, i would definitely recommend EK's 101 book. everyone will tell you it's good. get it, it's essential.

BS: diag score was a 7. this was my strongest subject i guess so i never studied for it. i got 10's no matter how much effort i put into the test. i never got higher than a 10 on any of my tests. this section is simply reading reading memorize memorize. however, i would highly suggest doing passage's with experiments, graphs, and charts. get use to abstracting information from them and applying them to new information. this is KEY. this goes for the PS section as well.

TPR

TPR Diag 4110: 15 (PS:4 VR:4 BS:7)
AAMC 3: 27 (PS:7 VR:10 BS:10)
AAMC 4: 31 (PS:9 VR:10 BS:11) *My exact breakdown*
AAMC 6: 26 (PS:7 VR:10 BS:9)
AAMC 7: 34 (PS:12 VR:10 BS:12)
AAMC 8: 29 (PS:: 9 VR: 10 BS: 10)
AAMC 9: 34 (PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 12)
AAMC 10: 27 (PS:9 VR:8 BS:10)

Biology

Put in hard work and it will pay off. If not, try try try again. I honestly never took a practice test under real test conditions. i would take 30-45min breaks. id have solutions turned on so i can see if i got it right or wrong. this helps because it takes stress off of you when you get a question you were unsure about. you cant do this on the real thing and the stress stays with you throughout the entire test. so i would say that taking MANY practice tests under REAL test conditions helps A LOT.

3 months. 5hrs/day.

PS: 9 VR: 10 BS: 11

30M

PS: diag score was a 4. this was my weakest section. i focused on this section the most. i took TPR and their book was sufficient enough for me to get a 9. i thought i did a lot better (like a 12) but i guess not. i did the science workbook from TPR and it helped and i also did EK's 1001 physics/chem workbook.

VR: diag score was a 4. this was not too bad of a section for me. after my first 2-3 tests, i was getting all 10's on my VR. i didnt do anything special except getting use to the format. i did maybe one section in the EK 101 workbook. i didnt try to get any better, i told myself i would be satisfied with getting a 10. i never got anything higher than a 10 on all my practice tests. however, i would definitely recommend EK's 101 book. everyone will tell you it's good. get it, it's essential.

BS: diag score was a 7. this was my strongest subject i guess so i never studied for it. i got 10's no matter how much effort i put into the test. i never got higher than a 10 on any of my tests. this section is simply reading reading memorize memorize. however, i would highly suggest doing passage's with experiments, graphs, and charts. get use to abstracting information from them and applying them to new information. this is KEY. this goes for the PS section as well.

TPR

TPR Diag 4110: 15 (PS:4 VR:4 BS:7)
AAMC 3: 27 (PS:7 VR:10 BS:10)
AAMC 4: 30 (PS:9 VR:10 BS:11) *My exact breakdown*
AAMC 6: 26 (PS:7 VR:10 BS:9)
AAMC 7: 32 (PS:12 VR:10 BS:10)
AAMC 8: 29 (PS:: 9 VR: 10 BS: 10)
AAMC 10: 27 (PS:9 VR:8 BS:10)

Biology

Put in hard work and it will pay off. If not, try try try again. I honestly never took a practice test under real test conditions. i would take 30-45min breaks. id have solutions turned on so i can see if i got it right or wrong. this helps because it takes stress off of you when you get a question you were unsure about. you cant do this on the real thing and the stress stays with you throughout the entire test. so i would say that taking MANY practice tests under REAL test conditions helps A LOT.

3 months. 5hrs/day.

My exam practice score is very similar to yours, I wish mine turns out like yours in October:luck: to me. Good job w/ ur score.

Aug 9 exam

PS 12, V 12, B 14
38M

physical sciences and biological sciences: went through the exam krackers books from cover to cover--took notes. i also took the exam krackers mini mcats.

verbal: exam krackers 101 verbal passages really helped though i didn't get to go through them all. everytime i took a verbal section, i would go over a list of tips (there are clues in the question stem, pay attention to them) and also a list of mistakes i made a lot (read all the answers before picking!)

writing: i didn't really practice at all and it showed.

exam krackers

aamc 6, 8, 9 --paper exams (i felt like doing these long exams as practice helped me to build up endurance for the actual shorter exam)
aamc 3, 7, 10
a couple kaplan exams.. don't recall the numbers

my diagnostic was the exam kracker test that came with the box set-- i got a ... PS 10, V 8, B 9 (27)

after studying, my practice exams ranged from... 31 to 38 (only once)

psychology

take note of the mistakes you make, write them down and then go over them to ensure you don't make the same mistakes again.

set aside time to take lots of practice exams.

take a break the last day or two before the exam and just relax and get good rest.

a month--but i felt kinda rushed.

11 PS
10 V
11 BS
32M (last year I got a 26M).

Started off with the Kaplan Comprehensive book, but then decided to take a test prep course. It was definitely worthwhile for me.

Kaplan and EK Book/101 passages for verbal.

Kaplan 1-9, AAMC 4-10

Microbiology and Immunology

MCAT is a test that you must put your FULL energy into, especially in the amount of time I studied. I followed EVERY SINGLE assignment to the TEETH. The Kaplan course is only as good as the amount of effort you put doing the assignments, taking the practice tests, etc. Getting all the material down is one thing, but it is IMPERATIVE that you practice using practice tests, whether AAMC or Kaplan. I made it into a freaking hobby taking one every other day. If you have any time throw in some section tests as well. Alltogether my average of the practice tests matched my actual score. Only part I am somewhat dissapointed in is my BS score which has been 12-13. The 11 in the PS is a plesant suprise. All in all, Kaplan's stuff was great.

2 months in the summer

First of all, I can't believe that I'm actually posting in this thread. I feel honored to be a part of this group!

August 14th, 2007
PS: 9
VR: 10
BS: 12
WS: R
Total: 31R

I focused most of my efforts on practice tests. I was pretty comfortable with most of the content, so I did some light reviewing and re-learning, and did more practice tests than anything else.

Content (All 3 Sections): Kaplan (Classroom), EK Audio Osmosis
Practice Tests: Kaplan, AAMC

Kaplan Diagnostic (5-23-2007): 9/7/8 = 24
Kaplan FL #1 (7-7-2007): 8/10/9 = 27P
AAMC CBT #3 (7-26-2007): 11/9/10 = 30
Kaplan FL #2 (7-30-2007): 9/9/8 = 26
Kaplan FL #3 (7-31-2007): 10/11/10 = 31
AAMC CBT #6 (8-2-2007): 11/8/10 = 29
AAMC CBT #7 (8-7-2007): 9/10/9 = 28
AAMC CBT #8 (8-8-2007): 10/10/10 = 30
AAMC CBT #9 (8-10-2007): 10/11/9 = 30
AAMC CBT #10 (8-13-2007): 10/11/10 = 31

Forensic Science with a concentration in Forensic Biology. Also minors in Biology and Chemistry.

Figure out where your weaknesses lie. Do you have large gaps in your content knowledge? Are you having a difficult time understanding the passages? Are you running out of time on practice tests? Identify your weaknesses early on in your studying so that you can attack those throughout your study plan. Also, create a study schedule and stick to it. This was my biggest weakness - I probably could have scored better by adhering to my study schedule more strictly.

I started Kaplan's class in the middle of June, and it continued throughout the first week in August (about 10 days before my MCAT). I pretty much followed their schedule, although I didn't do all of the required reading and online homework unless I felt I was weak in an area. I worked in addition to my studies, and so I was lucky if I could sit down and study for 5 hours a week for the first month or so. However toward the end of July I began feeling the pressure and so I studied maybe 15 hours a week. I also took many more practice exams and thoroughly reviewed my mistakes. This helped me determine what my weak spots were and attack them before test day. All in all I probably only studied about 150 hours for the test, including practice exams. I know I could have studied more, and I probably could have scored at least a few points higher had I focused a little more on sticking to my schedule. I'm happy with my score, so I don't really have any regrets. But in general I think it's better to over-prepare (with the exception of burning out) than to under-prepare.

Good luck everyone!

14/9/14 R, 37R

EK for science. Drilled concepts rather than facts. Read the books twice over, and did every AAMC test. EK for verbal practice, using their method too.

EK, and AAMC for practice tests

AAMC, 3-10

Biochem/physio (ongoing, in 3rd year)

Learn how to write the test, moreso than memorizing the material. Almost all questions can be answered by reading the passage and making conclusions upon information given.

About 2 months off and on

OK, forgot to post since my result was out. Here it is now!

13 July 2007
PS:11
VR:9
WS:R
BS:12
Total: 32R

PS & BS just reviewing my first and second year lecture notes. I've done physics, chemistry, molecular biology, and much of the medical sciences (physiology, pharmacology, pathology, genetics, microbiology) during my first two years of university.
WS: my principle during the preparation time is "an essay a day keeps the worries away", so I did just that, practicing to write an essay using AAMC prompts.
VR: nothing in particular. English is my second language, so there really is not much I can do in a short time of preparation. I just get used to reading more and more articles, be it humble newspapers to sophisticated scientific journals. The result: I'm okay with natural science passage but not humanities/social science passage.

AAMC practice tests, some Kaplan subject summaries I borrowed from my friend

AAMC 3-10, was averaging between 29-33

Bachelor of Medical Science (3rd year, Pharmacology)

Have a solid preparation, take as many practice tests as you can, make sure you are in good shape on the day of the test (try not to get sick, I know it's unpredictable, but some ailments are avoidable), be confident (but not over) and trust yourself.

Two weeks during semester holiday. The first week allocated to review materials, and the second to do practice tests.

35M
PS - 11
VR - 11
BS - 13

2) Study method used for each section

BS - Since we don't get much straight biology in our BME curriculum, I spent a good amount of time reviewing BS. Read through the Kaplan chapter once, the EK Review Book chapter twice. I took notes on unfamilar concepts. I also did the review questions and practice tests in both books.

PS - I had a pretty solid base in physics, so I only reviewed lightly for this section. Went through the EK and Kaplan books looking for concepts I was shaky with. Took notes on these / memorized key formulas. Did the Big Book practice test for this section.

VR - I've always had strong VR skills, so I didn't practice this section other than the practice AAMCs

WS - No prep. It showed.

Kaplan Big Book and EK review books (not the 101 passages)

*If you're a self studier like I am, I HIGHLY recommend not taking a course. These review books have everything you need to review

4 of the AAMC practice tests (forget which ones, but scores were 31,33,33,34)

Also, 2 Kaplan practice tests (scores: 31,36)

Biomedical Engineering (4th year)

Don't leave your MCAT prep off 'til the last minute. It is much, much easier (and less stressful) to do your studying for a couple hours a day over a few months as opposed to eight hours a day in couple weeks.

When you take a practice test, find out why you got your wrong answers wrong. What concept did you miss? Understand it, write it down, and study it.

Oh, and practice your writing sample under timed conditions. I'm sure I could've avoided an M if I practiced.

A few hours a day spread over three months.

*Good luck to all MCATers
*PM me w/ questions if you want

Physical:12
Biological:14
Verbal:9
Writing:R
Total:35R

For physical and biological, basically know as much as you can in terms of background information. Actually know everything. Take courses in upper division bio, which can help you out a lot! (I didn't take any but I sure wish I did). It lets you see through the fluff more easily because you know what the answer is. If you didn't have the advanced knowledge you might have to reason a little bit more to get to the right answer. Verbal reasoning on the other hand I've never quite understood. I think doing well depending on my mood swings actually, Haha. My verbal scores didn't really increase that much from my diagnostic to my real test but if you start off on the low end, practice is definitely the key. Try to have a clear mind before the test. This is CRUCIAL. One of my family members passed away the week before my test and this really affected how my mental state was. This affected my verbal performance correspondingly. Overall I think I studied OVER 500 hours. I do not recommend this however. I'm not like most people and I don't ever burn out. I did notice that I was hitting diminishing returns after awhile so don't study too much or obsess over it because it won't help you that much.

I used a conjunction of both EK and TPR materials. I HIGHLY recommend for anyone writing the MCAT to have more than one type of study material. It gives you so much more depth and information to have multiple points of view. By getting the most out of each company you'll give yourself the best chance to succeed.

Even though the AAMC ones feel not so indicative anymore, there still better than anything else out there (at least the ones I've gone through). I've also had some TPR tests as well, but I didn't feel those were too accurate. Basically take practice tests with the idea that your real test may not resemble anything like them. (Which mine didn't, I couldn't even predict what my score was coming out of the test).

It is General Finance. Yeah if you want help on the MCAT, don't do this. It may help you on the essays or one passage on verbal but being a business major doesn't come with too many benefits when it comes down to the MCAT. (It helps a lot of communicating, teamwork, and other skills! But just not the MCAT).

Don't ever give up! My first diagnostic score was a 20 (bad for me), after a month it only improved slightly so I began to feel a little hopeless that I would ever break 30, but lo and behold, I was able to do it. I don't consider myself that smart, I just study hard. So if I can go from a 20 to a 35, you definitely can!

500 freaking hours +/- 100 hours (I studied a lot while watching TV, eating, playing games, so it wasn't the most efficient).

Originally Posted by WayChanger
PS 13
VR 8 :mad:
BS 13
WS R

34R

Sciences - I had an awesome high school science background (AP Phys C, Bio, and Chem) plus I had taken Honors Orgo + Gen Chem, and Bio at school. The sciences weren't much more than reviewing material and going through Kaplan's books, which by the way are awesome. I highly recommend them. I did however put a bit more time into Bio because of the memorization required (hormones, enzymes, etc) even though that stuff turns out to be 3 questions--if you're "lucky."

Verbal - Uh. Yeah. I'm a Finance major and I've always sucked hard at anything even peripherally related to verbal reasoning (SATs, English classes, etc). Obviously, don't take my advice here because it didn't work--although I went up from Kaplan's diag (10/5/10). I read the newspaper and did a ton of Kaplan's hour-long section tests. My scores ranged from 6 to 11, so an 8 was somewhat expected.

Writing - Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Kaplan mainly. Some EK stuff. I managed to get their full set for free because Barnes and Noble screwed up, but I used barely any of it. Supposedly their Verbal 101 book is great, but I didn't have time for that either.

Kaplan Diag, 1-6
AAMC 1-7?
something like that. I'd estimate 10-12 total. My scores ranged from 31 to 35 with sciences never breaking 14, and verbal never breaking 11.

Finance, Math/Chem minors

Everyone says Biochem, Anatomy, etc are very helpful for BS, but I don't recall there being any questions about them on my test. Then again, maybe that's why I got a 13 instead of a 15--who knows. My test might've been an anomale, but again I don't know. If most people say it helps, then they're probably right. My only prereqs are intro Bio, Chem, and Orgo (went off my HS Physics bc I wanted to get the test over with)

Do what I didn't do: Make a schedule and stick to it. Outline EVERYTHING you want to do including reading, practice questions, practice tests, reviewing those tests and most importantly: Breaks. If you're good at this, which I'm not, you don't need a prep course. If you're like me though, the prep course is great at helping you keep pace.

Started June 15th-ish with the Kaplan class and took my test August 10th. Spend the first month and a half reading, and the last two weeks taking a practice test every day.

Good luck.

Glad to be here :)

BTW, I will preface this by saying that on test day, I thought I bombed it. I didn't think about voiding, but I've been stressing out the past month, thinking I got in the 20's. This proves that first impressions aren't always accurate. Apparently there were a few super hard exams this summer, august 20th included...but they were hard for everyone....so don't VOID or freak out just because it's hard. It's hard for everyone no matter what you score. I think one of the keys to doing well is to remain calm and just work quickly and efficiently.

35Q

11 PS
11 VR
13 BS

PS - do practice problems
VR - no prep
BS - little to no prep, except review basic physiology
WS - no prep (but I do read and write alot)

PS - I got the Exam Crackers 1001 passages in Gen chem and Physics, and did probably around 100-200 questions in each. I used these mainly to brush up on key concepts like pressure, mechanics, acid-base, atomic theory, and electrochemistry.

VR - I read a lot of history, politics, philosophy, and natural science books. I did not purchase any "MCAT specific" study materials though.

BS - I took A&P, so I actually used my old textbook to review physiology. This worked really well. Actually, I keep the book at my bedside just to look at whenever it strikes my fancy.

I bought the 10 Gold Standard CBT practice tests, but only did 5 of them, and I actually only did the PS and BS on them. I thought they were harder than the actual MCAT and were a good resource. For the price it is a great deal, because it comes with explanations and the interface works perfectly.

B.S in Political Science w/minor in Biology

- take Anatomy and Physiology if you can. I really feel like it helped me on the MCAT. There was at least one full passage and several standalones where my A&P knowledge directly enabled me to answer questions correctly.

- Read material outside of science on a regular basis. Get some books on history/politics and really take an interest in the world around you. There is so much more to life than just basic sciences, and the MCAT designers know this. Don't think, "Oh it's just stupid verbal...why do I care about politics or art?" That's the wrong attitude. Even if the passages are vague or even ******ed (which some surely are)...just force yourself to take interest. I think a lot of people avoid studying verbal because they just can't get interested. Go to the bookstore, go outside your comfort zone, learn something new.

- Hone your test-taking skills, meaning, practice crossing out illogical answers, making educated guesses, inferring what the answer is even without really knowing it (sounds crazy but given practice you can do it). For example, many calculations on MCAT can be done with serious rounding. Even just getting to the right decimal place can give you the answer (because others are off by 10x or 100x...)

I got my Exam Crackers books about 3 weeks before test day. I took 10 days off work before the exam to study. I probably did about 1-2 hours per day for 2 weeks. During this time I also worked on the Gold Standard practice tests, doing mostly the BS and PS sections. These were the biggest help, in that they familiarized me with the format of the questions and passages, and also forced my brain to go into "MCAT mode."

I did not learn any new science concepts during my studying. I probably could have gone without the exam crackers 1001 passages books, although it was a good warmup for doing the practice exams.

The MCAT is very difficult to study for. I doubt I could have increased my score with 3 months, even a year of additional studying. At a certain point, you just have to assemble all that knowledge, review the most basic fundamentals, and walk into the testing center and crank it out. Work fast, don't miss anything in the questions, and practice good test-taking skills.

1) Your individual scores and composite score:

PS: 15
VR: 11
BS: 14
WS: Q
Total: 40Q

PS/BS
Spent a large portion going through the list of topics that are covered on the MCAT that AAMC provides. I bought a Kaplan book to use as an outline and went through my course textbooks reviewing all of the material. I took notes in a notebook just because that helps me retain more information.
After this, I went through the Examcracker MCAT reviews until the test.

VR
I felt I couldn't improve much on my reading skills/speed in the time I had. All I did was go through and did as many timed VR sections in Kaplan and on the CBT's. It helps to get use to the types of passages, and the types of questions they ask you. Timing is of the essence.

WS
Totally BS'ed it. To study, I did probably 2- 1 hour writing samples on the CBT's. This was to get a feeling for the pace of the exam, but I knew that the WS score doesn't matter too much for the overall application. On the real thing, I just followed the instructions, wrote 3 paragraphs each, and got a Q.

Kaplan's New MCAT Premier Program- All sections
Examkrackers- All sections minus WS

My friend took a Kaplan course and let me use his online material.

All of the AAMC CBT's. Did one Examcrackers (that was included in the bundle) for the hell of it.

Scored a 31 on CBT before I began studying (May 20th or so). Scored 39 on CBT 10 a week before my exam (Exam Date: Aug 20). Average score was around 36.

BS Chemistry, ACS Certified

In General:
If you are just as focused on the real MCAT as you are during the practice ones, you will do absolutely fine. The problems that I think most people come across are test anxiety and loss of stamina midway through the test. Relax and be focused on the material in front of you. Don't worry about what the person next to you is doing. TIME EFFICIENTLY. Running low on time with 2 passages left not only forces you to answer less questions, but also makes you answer MORE incorrectly because of the fact that you will start panicking.

A thing regarding when to take the MCAT: I personally recommend taking it after your second year (one year before applying) but ONLY if you have taken all of the prerequisite coursework. This relieves stress, and also gives you a chance to retake w/o worrying about applications. The material is still fresh in your mind, and you will have had time to study without too many other stressors.

VR/WS:
VR is a matter of being able to focus on the passages (which are really boring). The more you practice beforehand, the easier this gets. Also, the correct answer choice becomes less ambiguous with practice. Don't be discouraged! My weakest point was VR and never scored above a 10 on the CBT's. For the writing, just follow the directions. If you are able to write half decently for a college student, you will be at an O or P already. Add in some spice and everything nice and you're looking at an R or S. WS scores are usually overlooked unless they are very low or very high.

Test date: Aug 20, 2007
Started reviewing sciences around June 2006 (after freshman year).
Started studying hardcore in Mid June 2007 (after sophomore year).
Will be applying in a year.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

40S.

I took the Kaplan course. I thought the actual course wasn't terribly useful, but it was nice to have a refresher on all the basic sciences spoon-fed to me (it had been 3 years since I took bio, 1 since I took physics, and 1 since orgo). I read through all of the books once, too. I should note that I did get a 31 on the diagnostic, and a 35 on the midterm.

What really helped me, after the classroom time was over, was doing practice tests. After I completed the majority of the quizzes and section tests (which I did during the classroom time period and for some time after) I took a full length practice test, starting with the Kaplans, every other day. I did not do anything else after taking the test- after I took it, I was done for the day. The next day, I did not do anything except review the test to see what I got wrong. For every problem that I got wrong, I wrote (in a word file) 1 sentence (no more) that covered the problem. For instance, here's a couple that I wrote down:

Gas expanding = positive work = temperature decrease
Internal energy of a gas- ΔU = 3/2NRΔT
1st law of thermodynamics- U = Q – W
Changes in pressure affect the composition of an azeotrope
Real gases- At high pressures, volume is greater than expected due to repulsive forces

If I got the type of question wrong more than once (for example, I screwed up on problems involving work several times) I still wrote something down. I ended up with about 4 pages, single spaced, of material, which I usually reviewed briefly before taking the practice test. This was very helpful, because it focused my problems on what I needed to learn better, instead of having to pick through stuff in the Kaplan book that wasn't very useful because I knew it already.

I did all of the Kaplans and I did a couple AAMCs. I think this is the better order to go in, because the Kaplan practice full lengths are MUCH harder than AAMC. When you are used to the Kaplan problems, which almost invariably involve more than one calculation, and the passages that are also quite denser (especially in Verbal), the AAMC questions seem like a joke. I was, frankly, shocked when I took my first AAMC test and saw questions that were like... here's the pressure of the gas, here's the volume, gas is expanding, what's the work done... which basically tested whether you knew the formula or not. The curve, though, makes up for it. I ranged from a 35 to 42 on Kaplan, with an average around 37ish. I did not break 37 on AAMC, I don't think.

I don't know what your situation is, but let me tell you something: the MCAT isn't actually that hard a test. You do need to have broad knowledge, but you do not need depth. The amount of organic chemistry you need to know, for instance, is tiny. If you can handle acids/bases, basic nucleophile-carbonyl reactions, and substitution/elimination reactions, that's most of the material you need to know. Similarly, you need to know what tissues are derived from what in the embryo (ie mesoderm, endoderm, ectoderm), but that is largely as far as it goes. If you keep in mind that most of the information is given in the passage, and you can do arithmetic pretty quickly, you'll be OK. Just know the basics and know them well.

As far as verbal goes... I don't think I can help you much. I never really paid attention to the Kaplan class and didn't really do any studying for it, besides the full lengths. I read very, very quickly, so I sort of had an advantage there.

Sorry this post is so long, but hopefully this will be helpful.

I got a 39s, so not quite a 40, but close enough, right? In any event, I self-studied through examkrackers for 4 weeks, reading and rereading each chapter to make sure I truly understood everything. Then I solved as many passages and problems that I could get my hands on because I always found that I could read something till I was blue the in the face:idea:, but I didn't really know the material until I tried applying it to various questions.

So I went through and did the following: EK's questions and passages, nova physics questions and passages, TPR science workbook questions and passages, all of kaplan's topicals and kaplan's full-length paper versions 1-9, and AAMCs 3-10. After going through all of that, I now look back and think it was excessive. However, I truly felt prepared taking the exam because I had seen so many different ways the material could've been asked, that I felt the mcat couldn't fool me (to my surprise, it still did on a few passages :D )

Impressive breakdown, Aesculapius. The tactic you used is basically the one I use to study for massively important tests. Great to see it was an effective strategy for you as well, congratulations on the amazing score.

41S (13vr, 13ps, 15bs)

Like Aesculapias, I took a course (although it was Princeton Review), and I actually found it pretty useful, most especially for the Physical Sciences. I was taking Physics I in conjunction with studying for the MCAT and didn't take Physics II prior to taking the MCAT, so the class was really my only opportunity to be "taught" that material. Also, although I would call myself a fairly self-motivated person, it is nice to have a schedule laid out for you of what to read and study and, even if you don't get around to all the reading a particular week, you still have to go to class and listen to the material. If you can afford it, I would recommend taking a class.

As for how I studied, I began preparing three months in advance (started May 15th for the August 14th exam). For the first two months I would say I put in an average of about three hours per day (not counting practice tests). In the last month I really buckled down, became a hermit, and studied about eight to ten hours per day six days per week. I read all the Princeton Review books except the verbal (of which I only read the essay portion) and then did all of the passages in the Science Workbook (which takes FOREVER!). Based on my practice tests, I could see that I needed some more work on Physics II (not surprising, seeing as I didn't take that class) and on Gen Chem. To be safe, I re-read the physics section and gen chem section and also bought the ExamKrackers for Gen Chem, which I found extremely, extremely helpful for catching the salient points of the subject.

I fully agree with Aesculapias that the MCAT is a comparably shallow test of knowledge, which made it much easier for me to tackle. Concepts were my friend. The biggest difference I saw between the way I studied and the way my classmates studied was how they had mnemonics for everything or memorized every detail of something. On the other hand, I tried to remember the underlying concept so I could just figure it out on the test. Sure, it may take a few extra seconds to reason it out when it comes down to it, but isn't that better than forgetting it altogether? This is what I thought ExamKrackers did the best job of for Gen Chem (I can't speak to the other topics); I wouldn't have used it as my sole study source, but to organize things conceptually in my head it was invaluable.

As for practice tests, the first two I did were from the Princeton Review (diagnostic of 31 11vr, 7ps, 13bs, then a 33 two weeks later) and then I exclusively took the AAMC tests 3-10 (four in the last 10 days leading up to the test). My range was between 37-42, with an average of 39. For the essay, I only did two practices through the Princeton Review grading service and got an N before reading about TAS structure and an R afterwards, so I just stopped practicing and started hoping I could carry that through on the real test. I actually went to a wedding for the three days before the test and studied very minimally (no more than an hour per day), which I think helped a lot to calm down and focus better when it came to test day.

Hope I could be helpful! Best of luck!

41S (13vr, 13ps, 15bs)

Like Aesculapias, I took a course (although it was Princeton Review), and I actually found it pretty useful, most especially for the Physical Sciences. I was taking Physics I in conjunction with studying for the MCAT and didn't take Physics II prior to taking the MCAT, so the class was really my only opportunity to be "taught" that material. Also, although I would call myself a fairly self-motivated person, it is nice to have a schedule laid out for you of what to read and study and, even if you don't get around to all the reading a particular week, you still have to go to class and listen to the material. If you can afford it, I would recommend taking a class.

As for how I studied, I began preparing three months in advance (started May 15th for the August 14th exam). For the first two months I would say I put in an average of about three hours per day (not counting practice tests). In the last month I really buckled down, became a hermit, and studied about eight to ten hours per day six days per week. I read all the Princeton Review books except the verbal (of which I only read the essay portion) and then did all of the passages in the Science Workbook (which takes FOREVER!). Based on my practice tests, I could see that I needed some more work on Physics II (not surprising, seeing as I didn't take that class) and on Gen Chem. To be safe, I re-read the physics section and gen chem section and also bought the ExamKrackers for Gen Chem, which I found extremely, extremely helpful for catching the salient points of the subject.

I fully agree with Aesculapias that the MCAT is a comparably shallow test of knowledge, which made it much easier for me to tackle. Concepts were my friend. The biggest difference I saw between the way I studied and the way my classmates studied was how they had mnemonics for everything or memorized every detail of something. On the other hand, I tried to remember the underlying concept so I could just figure it out on the test. Sure, it may take a few extra seconds to reason it out when it comes down to it, but isn't that better than forgetting it altogether? This is what I thought ExamKrackers did the best job of for Gen Chem (I can't speak to the other topics); I wouldn't have used it as my sole study source, but to organize things conceptually in my head it was invaluable.

As for practice tests, the first two I did were from the Princeton Review (diagnostic of 31 11vr, 7ps, 13bs, then a 33 two weeks later) and then I exclusively took the AAMC tests 3-10 (four in the last 10 days leading up to the test). My range was between 37-42, with an average of 39. For the essay, I only did two practices through the Princeton Review grading service and got an N before reading about TAS structure and an R afterwards, so I just stopped practicing and started hoping I could carry that through on the real test. I actually went to a wedding for the three days before the test and studied very minimally (no more than an hour per day), which I think helped a lot to calm down and focus better when it came to test day.

Hope I could be helpful! Best of luck!

For not taking Physics, you did darn well on the PS... how'd you learn your Physics so quickly? Also, how did you pull a 15 in BS?

Great posts. Very useful information!

TAS = thesis, antithesis, synthesis. This is the basic formula all of your MCAT essays should be in. I'm sure if you look around there are more detailed descriptions on the web/sdn.

Just by reading the posts by Aesculapius and Slipstream99, you can tell they have organized, efficient minds. Just look at their nicely formatted paragraphs, impeccable grammar, and no-nonsense voice and style. I am totally impressed with these scores (and I got a 35) :)

I followed the thesis-antithesis-synthesis style for the essays as well. I only actually wrote 2 practice essays prior to the test... my friend helped me a lot by cluing me in on "TAS".

I want to say that you don't need to be a hermit to do well. I only "studied" (if you count taking practice tests studying) for the length of an MCAT on the days that I actually took an MCAT. The days that I reviewed, I probably spent an hour or so. Just be efficient, and you'll be OK.

I don't know what your situation is, but let me tell you something: the MCAT isn't actually that hard a test. You do need to have broad knowledge, but you do not need depth.

This is extremely true, but most people won't be able to view it this way.

I think the key thing you need is understanding of the basic concepts (for sciences of course). VR i don't know...i've always sucked at it.

finally, i get to post in here... feels great...

verbal: i have no idea what to do for this section, was always a quesiton mark for me, i knew it'd be the make/break score for me... so i can't comment on it.

for the sciences: i took the TPR prep course, and just kept on pace, did all the homewokr, did all TPR's diags, all of the AAMC practice tests... and as far as how to study, i would take notes in the class, then the same day i would re-write the notes into another notebook (because i've heard re-writing is a better way to solidify information rather than re-reading; and it worked for me) then i would do the problems associated with that section (assigned by TPR). I also bought the 1001 books for extra reference.

flash cards never really helped me, so i can't say i'd use them, maybe for formulas or hormones. but after re-writing the notes, and doing the work, i'd re-read them the next morning and if it was still hazy, i would again RE-re-write them (it's very repetitive, but believe me, writing clearly and slowly will imprint the info into your head).

one thing to note about this, if you're the type to write really fast to copy as fast as possible this won't work, you have to re-write, not just copy (there's a difference). i found this helpful, there was a great post on how to analyze practice tests about 10 posts up or so, i wish i would've done that when i was looking over my practice tests. although i did an okay job, i kinda half-assed the analysis.

formulas, i don't think memorizing formulas is that important, because for my test, nearly every formula needed was given.

good luck to everyone who still has to take it.

invaluable information.

will be tackling this beast soon so thanks for the heads up.

Congrats to you all! I am impressed with the number of folks here with 40s and there's one 41 too! Wow!

Just wondering if anyone else can top 41?

Thanks to each of you for your great tips on test prep.:D

13 PS
11 BS
8 VR
Q

32Q

Long history...took Kaplan in Spring of 2006, chose to not take the test b/c I wasn't ready...Took Kaplan in Summer of 2006 unprepared (worked 40+hrs a week while studying [paper/pencil test]) and got a 27N (10PS/9BS/8VR)

So really it's important to emphasize that I have studied for the test before so I had a leg up on people taking it the second time around.

Took TPR the second time, class 5 days a week for 3hrs a day.
All I did was do the homework syllabus. I finished all the homework except for verbal and 3 practice tests...yeah I'm kind of lazy like that :| Hence, my verbal score didn't go up, but the writing practice helped. Honestly though, I was scoring 10's in VR on CBT 7, 8 , 9 so I was expecting at least a 9. Their verbal worked for me...on the practice tests at least.

Everyday after class I would go to the library and do ALLLLLLLLL the problems assigned for that section (both discretes and passages). Once you do that many problems on one topic, you're probably not going to forget it in the next 3 months. After I did all the problems I read the chapters before the next class. I think this is super important because when you're in class it should be review and you should be refining the concepts in your head.

I skipped some practice tests just because it's hard to motivate myself at home. HOWEVER, I serve as an example of what you SHOULDN'T do. Every week do them as it says. Why? It's a great way to review stuff so you don't forget things along the way and it really highlights what areas you are weak at so you don't forget it.

Oh and one more thing. If you take the 5 day/week course, it's damn near impossible to be doing anything else during that period. You cannot work full-time, and I really don't suggest working part time. The homework WILL take you at LEAST 4 hours and thoroughly reading before the next class will take you another 2. Again, I highly stress NOT working and NOT researching if you are taking it during the summer.
1. It is a harsher curve. Everyone else is studying and devoting their lives to this test. No reason to put yourself at a disadvantage.

2. Did I mention it's a harder curve? You can't afford to waste time doing 'other' things. You can research/volunteer/work during school. Unless you scored a 30 on your diagnostic or are simply confident you can handle it, go ahead. But if you don't get your score, don't say nobody told you so. Then again, even if you do get a good score, imagine how much higher it could have been ;]

TPR
Reviewed some EK slightly but barely used it.

AAMC CBT 6,7,8,9
TPR Full Lengths 1,2,3

AAMC CBT 6,7,8,9
TPR Full Lengths 1,2,3

Kinesiology

1. You will have a solid advantage over other people if you have taken upper division bio/chem/physics courses
Biochemistry will definitely help you
Physiology - I highly recommend it as I've seen lots of Bio passages that are physio based using drugs and what not.

edited: GENETICS - I just read the September 7th thread and forgot about genetics...I had passages on genetics...so yeah, you should know it.

Why do these upper division courses help you? You know advanced concepts and therefore already are familiar with the underlying basic concepts and principles associated with them. Your foundation is much stronger and better suited for the test, but that's just my opinion.

2. Study Ochem. I don't care if it's less than 50% of the BS section. When I took it the 2nd time, it was not that hard at all. I think the main reason I went from a 9 to an 11 was because I felt the Ochem was a breeze. They can be 'easy' points so to speak. It's definitely worth knowing.

3. When you study Physics, know the CONCEPTS. Unlike Kaplan's grind out plug and chug practice tests, the CBTs are very concept based now. If lightning is an electrolytic cell, which way do electrons flow? It's stuff like that you need to know how to apply. When the passage presents you some abstract instrument like a microscope magnifying the size of a flea, don't overthink it. The details are a smoke screen. The same principles apply to magnification when you're using a microscope. Know your concepts. The calculations I had on my test were no more than 1 step division or multiplication...

4. Gchem...I had a great Gchem teacher with some neat tricks I've never seen like the BEAR box for periodic table trends
BE
RA
If you go towards the B corner, it will get more basic, E for stronger electronegativity, A for acidity, R for increasing atomic radius

5. Do NOT ignore verbal. Verbal is one HELL of a section. You can practice all you want, and it only takes 1 minute of zoning out to mess up your entire section. Make sure you are GOOD at it and BE CONSISTENT. It IS 1/3 of your test so you CANNOT afford to ignore it. If VR is your strength, USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. Seriously, the overall score counts too. If you get a 9 in sciences, make up your points using your strengths. Plus if you nail a 12/13/14/15 VR, that makes you unique in my book. I haven't met too many people with those kinds of VR scores.

6. Stay healthy. You can't afford to get sick during whatever time block you've made for yourself.

7. Did I mention take practice tests? Don't cheat either. Do it timed. You can cheat on breaks in the beginning but when you're a month into studying you have to build up your endurance. I had an advantage in that I was used to an 8 hour pencil and paper full length so doing CBTs wasn't bad at all for me.

8. Ok...seriously, a Biochem teacher I TA-ed for gave me the best advice ever. He said, don't take the MCAT if you're not ready (this is on the basis of your practice full lengths). Hence I didn't take it in the spring...Ok so I ignored him for the summer and bombed it. Seriously guys, don't take it praying you're going to do well. The MCAT is the spawn of the devil. Luck won't be on your side so don't go in waving your sword blindly against the beast and hoping you'll somehow conquer it unprepared. It won't happen. (On a side note, he also recommended I take Biochem before the test...thank god I did take Biochem for a semester before I took it and it definitely helped. Biochem really makes you review basic chemistry principles plus it helps you with lab techniques that may come up in passages)

If you're not getting consistent practice scores that you are pleased with, it is a good sign that you aren't ready. Toss in the fact that 'most' people reporting the August MCAT, including me, are saying the real thing is harder than any AAMC we've taken before.
**side note: this statement really only applies to anyone shooting for 30. Why? If you're not getting 30's on your practice tests, what makes you think you'll do better on a harder test with your nerves high as a kite? If you're shooting for a 36 though, and you're averaging 34's on your practice test, I wouldn't tell you to not take it, that'd be stupid. The difference between a 30, 31, 32, etc is like 1 or 2 questions to move up 1 point. The room for error is incredibly small if you want to go from 11->12 or 12->13. If you're getting 35+, don't be surprised if you see a 3 pt swing either way. The difference is practically 3 questions for 3 points.

Started the class in June, took it in August...3 months.

June 2007 - 10 PS, 10 VS, 13 BS, Writing S = 33S
(Older scores for reference, Aug 2004 - 28R & Aug 2002 - 27R)

3 months while working full-time. Discipline is key.

^^^^

this person right here is a f-ing beast

props for doing mcat review while working full time...that's admirable.

Second Round May 2007: 31O 12 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS First Round in April 2006: 28O 7 PS, 10 BS, 11, VR

PRACTICE

The first time I took a Kaplan class and was not happy with it so I switched to ExamKrackers two weeks pre-exam. I cannot speak highly enough of the examkracker series! The second time I only studied for 5 days so I feel I could have done better if I spent more time on the BS or VR but I was most concerned with bringing up my PS score. I also took as many AAMC practice tests as I could.

3, 5, 6, 10 but I never scored higher than a 9 on an indivual section or a 26 composite (I guess I work better under pressure). I know a lot of people that scored well on the practice tests but their score went down on the actual exam. You never know until you take the exam!

Biology

practice taking the tests as much as you can. You'll start to memorize types of questions and how to work them so your score will go up. Don't try to memorize every single fact-there's way too much! Go over every problem you miss and figure out why you missed it! Otherwise there's no point to taking a practice test! Classes that really helped out-physiology for BS and biochem for the PS. Most importantly, go into the exam feeling like you studied as hard as you could have studied. You'll probably never feel 100% prepared but just know you did everything you could have done in the time you had. Your score will reflect the confidence in yourself!

1st time-7 months (not hardcore studying, just along with my class. 2 months hardcore studying between classes), 2nd time-5 LONG days. I would not recommend the 5 day stint but I had studied fairly well the first go-round. If I had the opportunity at a few more weeks I think I could have done much better but I'm not about to take it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.