30% pass rate for child Psychiatry boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OBfan

A friend of mine is close friends with a child psychiatrist who constantly boast about the fact the she passed her child psych boards first time through especially since only 30% passed. She also mentioned that you dont need to pass these boards to practice child psych but that you cant charge the maximum fees until you pass. I dont know, it all sounded like a bunch of BS to me but who knows it all may be true.

Anyone know the real deal!
Thanks,
OBFAN

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like BS, I agree. I know many psychiatrists who do good child psych work and are not boarded.

You can't be on some specialty physician insurance panels without board certification. Also, boarded physicians can often charge higher fee-for-service costs than non-boarded, though I think this is less rare.

The psych boards are tough, I hear. Regular psych is close to 50% pass overall (including orals) I think. Child may indeed be worse, I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
im not sure of the exact details, but what the OP said is somewhat true. i did a child psych elective with a psychiatrist who did the child and adolescent fellowship, but did not take the child boards. she mentioned to me that the only incentive was that she could bill higher for certain things. something about the initial outpatient visit, you could bill $250 rather than $100-something. she did say it was expensive and very hard to pass and that she was never good at boards/standardized tests, so she hadn't bothered to take it, but every now and then considers it because she could make a little more. i dunno if there is more to it than that or what. sorry that was sort of a ramble-y post.

Obviously kids got a lot of issues. :laugh:

*sorry... had to say it.*