Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to be an optometrist but I'm already 100K in debt from undergrad. After optometry school, I'd be 300k-350K in debt because I have to go to an out-of-state school. Am I crazy to even be considering this? 😱
Most people say I should consider medical school (Ophthalmology), which I did, but I'm not that interested in doing surgery. I think being a Peds Ophth would be cool but that's an extremely long, hard road and I'm not sure it's worth it...especially if surgery isn't something I absolutely have to do, to be satisfied with my career.
What do you guys think about the huge debt load?
Edit: I've already been accepted and I'm interested in academic/research optometry. (<--Not sure if my future salary will be lower than a clinical optometrist in private practice, commercial, etc.??) Speaking of academic/research optometry, how much do they make? I've tried to research it online but I can't find any figures. Anyone have an idea?
Most people say I should consider medical school (Ophthalmology), which I did, but I'm not that interested in doing surgery. I think being a Peds Ophth would be cool but that's an extremely long, hard road and I'm not sure it's worth it...especially if surgery isn't something I absolutely have to do, to be satisfied with my career.
What do you guys think about the huge debt load?
Edit: I've already been accepted and I'm interested in academic/research optometry. (<--Not sure if my future salary will be lower than a clinical optometrist in private practice, commercial, etc.??) Speaking of academic/research optometry, how much do they make? I've tried to research it online but I can't find any figures. Anyone have an idea?
Last edited:

.
Probably, huh? I think I'm just in denial because I feel stuck. I'm stuck because I can't get a decent job with a B.S. in Biology. Either way, I'm going to have to go to graduate school and most schools (Med, Opt, Dental, Pharm) will cost 20K-30K/yr...and that doesn't even include equipment, food, housing, etc. I guess I could always get a Ph.D. but I hear it's hard to land a decent job after you get your Ph.D. So, either way, I feel like I'm going to have to take on a lot of debt. Now would be the perfect time to hit the jackpot! *off to get my lottery ticket*