1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

#325 - EK Physics: Math Error?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by ilovemcat, Jan 18, 2011.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ilovemcat

ilovemcat Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    I'm have trouble trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here:

The question states:

A 2 kg ball is thrown upwards with a speed of 40 m/s. At what height will the ball be, when its kinetic energy is equal to its potential energy?

I know that during half the trip (half the height), Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy. In order to solve for height, I use one of the kinematic equations.

But here's where the problem lies, I get two different answers using different equations but can't seem to understand why. They should be equal regardless.

h = hi + vit + .5at^2
    h = 0m + (40m/s)(4s) + (5 m/s)(4^2)
    h = 240 meters

or using this equation:

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ah and solving for 2
    2gh = vi^2
    2(10m/s)h =1600 (m/s)^2
    h = 1600 (m/s)^2 / 20
    h =80 meters

Any idea what I'm doing wrong to get different answers?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ilovemcat

ilovemcat Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    By the way, the correct answer is 40 meters. (half of 80 meters)

4. ilovemcat

ilovemcat Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    Ah, nevermind! I just realized I forgot to subtract in the first kinematic equation (160 - 80). I need to rest my brain. I've been working too hard today lol.

5. shffl

shffl

Sep 20, 2010
    Remember acceleration is a negative number. If you used -10m/s^2, then your answer would be h = 80m as well

6. TwoPaddles

TwoPaddles

Sep 6, 2010
    I think the 2nd one saves much more time. At maximum height, final velocity is zero.
    vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ax
    vf=0
    x = vi^2 / 2a
    x = 1600 / 20 = 80m so this is the maximum height (all kinetic energy converted back to potential energy)

Halfway height is where KE = PE; 40m.