33 MCAT, 3.8 GPA...chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnels89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a biochemistry major at Stony Brook University applying for entry in 2012 and my MCAT score is a 33 (12 BS, 11 PS, 10 VR), GPA is 3.83, BCPM GPA is 3.78. I am applying to many schools and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to my chances at a few of them including: George Washington, Albert Einstein, Columbia, and Stony Brook. I also have volunteer experiences including Global Medical Brigades trips to Honduras and I am the founder/president of Global Public Health Brigades at my university.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am a biochemistry major at Stony Brook University applying for entry in 2012 and my MCAT score is a 33 (12 BS, 11 PS, 10 VR), GPA is 3.83, BCPM GPA is 3.78. I am applying to many schools and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to my chances at a few of them including: George Washington, Albert Einstein, Columbia, and Stony Brook. I also have volunteer experiences including Global Medical Brigades trips to Honduras and I am the founder/president of Global Public Health Brigades at my university.

Thank you!
You can get an idea of your relative competitiveness at each school by downloading this spreadsheet and filling in your own stats: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

All Applicants applying in the past three years with a 3.83/33 had an ~83% chance of an acceptance somewhere. This figure does not correct for a late application, assumes you applied to schools in your stats range, had all the usual and customary ECs that fit the mission of your schools, well-written PS, supportive LORs, no legal issues, and decent interview skills.

You don't mention how many years of research you have (important to research giants like Columbia) and publications, or US based clinical experience, US physician shadowing, nonmedical community service, or teaching (important to all schools). But your leadership sounds good.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for that link! I don't have any research experience, but I do have teaching experience (I have been a TA for organic chemistry at my school for the past 2 semesters). My clinical experience in the US includes being an EMT at a day camp during the summers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply a little more broadly. You have a good chance of an acceptance, but where?!

I am applying to a lot more schools than the ones I listed, I just named my top four.

You can get an idea of your relative competitiveness at each school by downloading this spreadsheet and filling in your own stats: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

All Applicants applying in the past three years with a 3.83/33 had an ~83% chance of an acceptance somewhere. This figure does not correct for a late application, assumes you applied to schools in your stats range, had all the usual and customary ECs that fit the mission of your schools, well-written PS, supportive LORs, no legal issues, and decent interview skills.

You don't mention how many years of research you have (important to research giants like Columbia) and publications, or US based clinical experience, US physician shadowing, nonmedical community service, or teaching (important to all schools). But your leadership sounds good.

Hey, I can't access the link, is there a way to obtain permission?

If you download it, the stats page should become available for data input. If you use the on-line copy, you are stuck wuith the locked-in stats of the original designer.

The link is not downloadable, it requires permission even to view.

here's the most recent version. it should be viewable so you can download it (Go to File>Download as)

main link fixed. use version posted by Catalystik above

Note: This is not meant to be a replacement for the main spreadsheet. I merely copied the current version (the one that was mysteriously locked so only the editors can view it) and made it freely available to everyone with the link. I'm not planning to update this version at all so you should go back to using the old one once the permissions are fixed

Last edited:
You can get an idea of your relative competitiveness at each school by downloading this spreadsheet and filling in your own stats: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0.

Can you please clarify how i get my results once I have entered my stats. Once I enter my stats, I don't see a change.
:(

Can you please clarify how i get my results once I have entered my stats. Once I enter my stats, I don't see a change.
:(.
For it to work, you must download the form. Then enter your stats on the Your Stats page. When you return to the other sheets, the colors should have changed to reflect your chances at each school.

Reactions: 1 user
Also check out @WedgeDawg 's system. It really helped me narrow my list and gives you a general idea of what type of schools you should be applying to. Based on stats alone you should be solid. The rest is what will take you over the top.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Invest in MSAR(the data in that spreadsheet is 3 years old the numbers have changed although maybe @sector9 updated it to the most recent data I didn't check) and come back with a list and we can help edit. You are in a favorable position but the chances at ANY one school are never going to be favorable(espec the Einstein's, GW's and Columbia's of the world). Start with all New York schools outside of the Big 4 in Manhattan.

For it to work, you must download the form. Then enter your stats on the Your Stats page. When you return to the other sheets, the colors should have changed to reflect your chances at each school.

Thank you

Oh, I did not notice the your stats page. Well thank you, this will greatly help me in the future.

Hey, I can't access the link, is there a way to obtain permission?

For anyone that does not have Microsoft word , you can create a copy of the document in the link above and edit the "copy". Not the original spreadsheet.