MD 34 MCAT - 3.98 cGPA 4.0 sGPA - Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GolfUSA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am waiting for verification of my AMCAS and just need to get the rest of my school list together after getting my MCAT scores back today.

Undergraduate Major: Biochemistry/Cell Biology
3.98 cGPA 4.0 sGPA
MCAT 34 (PS12 VR10 BS12)
4 Excellent LORs

Extracurriculars:
Community Service/Volunteering- 250 hours
ED Scribe - 300 hours (currently full time for the next year)
Summer Clinical Shadowing Program- 300 hours
SI Leader- 500 hours
Private Tutor- 300 hours
Biochem Research - 100 hours
Clinical Research- 50 hours

I put together a tentative list (before receiving my MCAT) which is ordered from safety schools to reach schools. I would appreciate any additions and/or deletions.

Current List (TN Resident):
East Tennessee Quillen
University of Tennessee Memphis
Eastern Virginia Medical College
Thomas Jefferson
Wake Forest
University of Colorado (personal reasons)
Albert Einstein
Tufts
Dartmoth
Emory
Baylor
Duke
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Johns Hopkins
Pritzker
Harvard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Research is a little low for the top schools on your list. Did anything productive result?

How much of your Community Service/Volunteering is clinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
We got a large research grant based on my work but no publications (yet). All of my volunteering is for the First Tee Program (non clinical) which I understand could be a potential issue. Scribing might as well be volunteer work because I make minimum wage and have to support myself so I don't have time for any more volunteering.

Thanks for the feedback guys, any schools to add? I am not interested in research at all and prefer clinical work so I will probably take off most of the top schools. Any other recommendations? Mid tier schools preferably on the east coast?

Last edited:
You may have issues because you don't have much direct patient interaction. Your list is definitely top heavy. I suggest adding a few more low or mid tiers.

I think you are in a good position for your 2 state schools but a few more schools would be a good idea. Consider Tulane, Drexel, Temple, New York Medical College, Hofstra where your MCAT and GPA would be competitive.

I think you are in a good position for your 2 state schools but a few more schools would be a good idea. Consider Tulane, Drexel, Temple, New York Medical College, Hofstra where your MCAT and GPA would be competitive.

Thank you for the input! I was looking for some more mid tier schools since my MCAT was lower than I had hoped (lower than my last 5 practice tests).

@claduva94 I get a lot of patient contact as a scribe would think this is more valuable experience than carting pateint's from place to place or something similar.

Any other suggestions? I submitted my primary on August 5th and should be verified in about a week according to the current time scale. I would seriously appreciate any input you all may have!