34M, 3.41c, NJ resident, reapplicant... help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoredbeard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having some real difficulty figuring out where to apply... I applied to 20 schools last year, mostly upper and mid tier, but my application was in very late (november), and I did not get in (obviously). What type of schools (examples would be appreciated) do you think I should apply to this year? And how many? Is it worth reapplying to any, or should I cut my losses and choose new schools?

Last year's schools:
Dartmouth Medical School
Duke University School of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Washington University School of Medicine

I failed one class (philosophy) and got 2 C's, but other than that, all my grades are A's and B's. BCPM: 3.56

My extracurriculars:
EMT squad, 3 years, but not certified
Undergrad research, 3 years, no publications
Physician shadowing, 2 years
Tutoring Coordinator, 3 years
Kaplan MCAT teacher, 6 months
Fraternity Community Service chair, 1 year
Hospital Diet Aide, 1 year

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good MCAT, but your GPA is honestly low for most of these top schools. Why apply with the same strategy (High Tier Schools), when it did not work last time?

I would personally throw in some schools such as the following:

New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Temple University
Drexel University
University of Rochester
Loyola University-Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Georgetown University
George Washington University

Thats just to give you and idea of some low/mid tier schools that you should look at. Schools I would take off if I was you are:

University of North Carolina
Duke University
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
University of Pittsburgh
Dartmouth School of Medicine
Brown University

Most of these you either do not have the GPA for, and/or only accept mostly In-State applicant. This is your second time around, go with safety and choose some lower tier schools.

I agree that your list last year was way too top heavy for your stats. Applying late didn't help either. You should be applying to much less selective schools. Med Prospect has some good ideas for you. Also, look at the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum. Plug in your numbers and you'll get feed back on your chances at various schools to get more inspiration.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good MCAT, but your GPA is honestly low for most of these top schools. Why apply with the same strategy (High Tier Schools), when it did not work last time?

I would personally throw in some schools such as the following:

New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Temple University
Drexel University
University of Rochester
Loyola University-Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Georgetown University
George Washington University

Thats just to give you and idea of some low/mid tier schools that you should look at. Schools I would take off if I was you are:

University of North Carolina
Duke University
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
University of Pittsburgh
Dartmouth School of Medicine
Brown University

Most of these you either do not have the GPA for, and/or only accept mostly In-State applicant. This is your second time around, go with safety and choose some lower tier schools.

Yeah, get ride of the said schools above. Also, how are you a better candidate this time around?

You would also be quite competitive for DO schools, if you have such interest. Obviously, you will need a exposure to/letter from a DO for this situation. The MD schools suggested by others above are where you need to put your eggs otherwise. Good luck.

id also trim UI Chicago, U Md, U Minn, U Washington (depending on your state residency)

good luck!

You would also be quite competitive for DO schools, if you have such interest. Obviously, you will need a exposure to/letter from a DO for this situation. The MD schools suggested by others above are where you need to put your eggs otherwise. Good luck.

Just FYI OP, you only need a DO letter for some of the DO schools.

id also trim UI Chicago, U Md, U Minn, U Washington (depending on your state residency)

good luck!
keep umd, drop others this poster listed.

also... drop washu

do you know which schools require a letter from a D.O?

:( unfortunately not off the top of my head. I'd definitely check in the Pre-Osteo threads here on SDN. They may already have a list, or they can certainly address this better than myself haha. sorry!