34MCAT, 3.1GPA, little extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myst

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 34 MCAT, 3.1GPA, weak extracurriculars, little clinical experience, no research experience, weak LORs.

do i even stand a chance of getting in any ireland unviersity?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you have a great chance. My MCAT was 36 but my GPA was 2 point something and I had nothing else. LOR's were really, really, really weak and my volunteer experience was just so-so.

Apply, you'll get in somewhere. I think UCC looks at the MCAT more then any of the other schools.

Hi! So for the following stats, what would you think? I would reall appreciate it.

3.0 undergrad from a great school
5 years of research, including 2 publications
great recs and shadowing
Sitting the MCAT in the spring
Lots of volunteer experience.

I only ask b/c someone random on the forum encouraged me not to bother applying. Also, what kind of MCAT should I shoot for?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage880 said:
Yeah, you have a great chance. My MCAT was 36 but my GPA was 2 point something and I had nothing else. LOR's were really, really, really weak and my volunteer experience was just so-so.

Apply, you'll get in somewhere. I think UCC looks at the MCAT more then any of the other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All

Though im certainly no expert (who is for Irish schools). I see alot of the schools wanting some things besides grades:

1) CV with experience
2) Research / publications
3) Related previous profession
4) Diverse personal experiences

Other than that, there are no specifics. For what it costs to apply, i totally agree with Sage, just do it what do you have to lose?

I apologise if I misread. Thanks for your help! What about some of the more northern, up and coming Scotland schools, like Dundee?

Waiting4Ganong said:
Well, thats not quite true is it. ;) I said that 3.1 college gpa in the context of other numbers isn't really competitive so you should be realistic about the (low) chances of success of an application to UK medical schools. Most the NAs who get into UK schools, in my experience, have stellar credentials and have offers at top US MD schools too. I didn't say not to apply anyway (a 1 in a 1000 chance still means one person gets in!).

Ireland though is another matter and I should have mentioned that alongside DO and Carib as good options for someone with a 3.1gpa but other things going for you (and 2 papers and years of full time research will sure look good to people looking at the wider picture). I think you'd have a good shot at Irish schools.

UK doesn't equal Ireland in terms of admissions for NAs (although by all accounts standard of training is similar).

As for Ireland - GO FOR IT!