350 Or Below

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1908PharmD

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just A Question:

Has Anyone Ever Made 350 Or Below On The Pcat In Any Sections?

Just Curious Because The Range Is 200 - 600 I Think But Everyone Always Makes Like A 400+

So Do People Really Make 350 Or Below? And Do They Get Accepted?
 
A 350 results in a score way below the 50th percentile.

Since many schools look only at the composite, one can get in with such a low score assuming that a school doesn't require section minimums and if the rest of the scores boost your composite to an acceptable level.

Now, a 350 composite probably won't get you in unless you have connections.🙂
 
i took pcat the first time in 2005 just to see how it was..didn't study anything
and my lowest score was on verbal 366 had no clue what i was doing during the exam...composite of 386 (24th percentile)
if you want a good percentile score in a section then you have to be over 400
thats for sure...the higher you get from 400 the higher your percentile gets...nobody scores above 500 may be some highly intelligent students..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know how over a 500 is even possible. There are 40 questions in each section that are counted, right? And there is a scaled range of 400 points, so it would seem that each question is worth 10 points. However, this clearly is not right, as I've seen people with scores a point or two away from mine. And, for example, I got a 447 on the verbal section, and that was the 96th percentile. So only 3% of people did better than me on that section, but it's a 153 point range for that 3%? How does that make sense? I know that these scores are scaled, not raw, so getting 400 doesn't mean you got half right. But still, I don't really know why the range is so wide when I haven't seen anyone get even close to below 300 or above 500. Did anyone get in the 99th percentile on a subject? Can you please tell me what your scaled score is? I am really curious what scaled score you get if you get no answers wrong, only one wrong, etc.
 
I don't know how over a 500 is even possible. There are 40 questions in each section that are counted, right? And there is a scaled range of 400 points, so it would seem that each question is worth 10 points. However, this clearly is not right, as I've seen people with scores a point or two away from mine. And, for example, I got a 447 on the verbal section, and that was the 96th percentile. So only 3% of people did better than me on that section, but it's a 153 point range for that 3%? How does that make sense? I know that these scores are scaled, not raw, so getting 400 doesn't mean you got half right. But still, I don't really know why the range is so wide when I haven't seen anyone get even close to below 300 or above 500. Did anyone get in the 99th percentile on a subject? Can you please tell me what your scaled score is? I am really curious what scaled score you get if you get no answers wrong, only one wrong, etc.

My chemistry scaled score was 501, so yeah it is possible. But I'm not entirely sure how they calculate the scaled scores, and I *know* I did not get all the questions correct. Someone out there must have a 502, maybe a 510.
 
AngelaCL the pcat scale is between 200-600 so why it is not possible to get a score of 500...which is also equivalent as getting a score of 300 on a scale of 0-400...
 
My point is just that there is a 400 point range for only 40 questions. And you can be in the 96th percentile with a 447/600, which means that only 3% of people got between 448-600. That just seems weird to me. Parabolic got a 501, but I'm guessing he got in the 99th percentile. So maybe 1% of people got between 502-600. It just seems like a really broad range for 40 questions, and I wish we could know raw scores. It might be something like

580-600 - perfect score, scaled score varies due to test difficulty
570-580 - 39/40
...
200 - 0/40, missed every question
 
My point is just that there is a 400 point range for only 40 questions. And you can be in the 96th percentile with a 447/600, which means that only 3% of people got between 448-600. That just seems weird to me. Parabolic got a 501, but I'm guessing he got in the 99th percentile. So maybe 1% of people got between 502-600. It just seems like a really broad range for 40 questions, and I wish we could know raw scores. It might be something like

580-600 - perfect score, scaled score varies due to test difficulty
570-580 - 39/40
...
200 - 0/40, missed every question

you are so correct...harcourt should explain how they compute the raw scores...if they can't then everybody should have the same test(they can have different order of questions)