37 mcat, 3.8 gpa bad ecs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MostIndecisiveGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 37 cumulative, 13VR, 13PS, 11BS. cGPA is 3.86 and sGPA is only slightly lower. Majoring in computer science and biochem. IL resident.

I spent last year volunteering at the hospital and will again this year (75 hrs clinical, 75 hrs non clinical). Service trip to Panama for a week last year, one to Nicaragua this year. I haven't shadowed outside of that, but over winter break I plan on getting about 20-25 hrs, and have already spoken with the physicians.

I started working in a lab and I TA Orgo. I am the treasurer of the premed honor society and I used to DJ a radio show all last year(still involved subbing this year).

I haven't a clue where I should apply, or whether starting research junior year makes me too late for the md/phd programs. Also wondering where I should be focusing my time this year to make it clear I know what I'm getting into with med school/wanting to be a doctor. I'd like to go to a good school (if I can keep my gpa up) but I'm very worried about extracurriculars. Advice appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're starting your junior year? You have time to improve your ECs, relax

I'm kind of wondering what I should be doing to improve them :) and since my score expires after 2 years I really don't think I can take time off of school to do something big!

You have 37 MCAT..
My friend didnt do any shadowing/volunteering and still got >10 acceptances with 38 MCAT.