81 reads and not one comment. Those handsome devils who wrote "PhD syndrome" sorta look familar...............maybe not??

About the Ads

QPublic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Well-said! I really appreciated the article and would like to see something like that more widely-disseminated. The syndrome is so pervasive in work settings, in my view.

Lunabin

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I wasn't sure which article this post was referring to, but really loved the "Ph.D. Syndrome" article.

Personally, I see this problem everyday in practice. As an intern, I am not a doctor yet, and am uncomfortable using such a title... and yet, find that if I present myself as a "doctoral candidate" or "completing my doctorate" - then I get much more respect (particularly from physicians).

I like that the article presents practical ways to become more proficient and confident in medical knowledge. It would be great to see more psychologists (especially in medical settings, but even in academia/training) use more advanced medical terminology and converse in their discussion of cases. Too often, I see supervisors and professors "dumbing down" their language with this material - we should really be setting a higher bar in academia for proficiency in medical science.

GiantSteps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
Why are no numbers/ data given on the prevalence of this Ph.D. Syndrome? How many psychologists are really complaining?

So is there a corollary syndrome "MD Syndrome" or "MSW Syndrome" which would be experienced if a psychiatrist or social worker came into a research setting?

I wonder if the psychologists who are getting limited prescription capabilities are more immune to this?

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Well-said! I really appreciated the article and would like to see something like that more widely-disseminated. The syndrome is so pervasive in work settings, in my view.

I hope people take some time to think about some of the implications of Ph.D Syndrome, and how it has leaked into other areas and really impacts our profession.

-t

Logic Prevails

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
Yeah, I totally agree with the PhD syndrome. Most psychologists I know fail to take a solid stance on anything... I think it follows from the whole "fail to reject the null" type thinking. As a result, they tend to be wishy-washy and lack any kind of backbone. I wish PhD programs were more closely linked to medical training.

I have a buddy in 2nd year med school - our friends often mention how 'cool' it is that he's becoming a doctor, asking advice and really interested in the whole process. In comparision, it seems that people could care less that I'm earning my doctorate. In addition, whenever my proffs hear any groaning about the workload in our program, they often say "we'll at least your not in med school." Are they mental? My friend is by no means any smarter than myself, but always has time to go out on weekends and has time to do paid work during the summer (at least his first two years of med school). In comparison, I don't think I've had a full weekend off since I started this gig. With all the time I'm putting into this program, you can bet that I'll be demanding some respect when I get out.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
LP.......it is like, 'oh psychology....I thought you meant a "real" doctor'. :laugh: I look at it as neither better nor worse, just a different experience. Most of the general population does not really understand what clinicians do, and the training that is involved. It is a pretty misunderstood profession.

I've heard far too many people ask about what it takes to become 'an FBI Profiler'......you know, the people who track down murderers based on...i don't know, but they do it! :laugh:

-t

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.