37R MCAT, 4.0 GPA, really weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just rececieved my MCAT score today, and I was pretty stoked upon seeing it. I feel much more confident about myself, but I'm still worried since I am really lacking in the EC department.

So far, my GPA is a 4.0 science, and cumulative, and my MCAT score distribution was 14 PS, 10 V, 13 BS.

As for my ECs, I have very little. I honestly don't know why I hopped on the train so late, but I'm trying to make up for lost ground these next two semesters since I want to apply this upcoming cycle.

I have about 1 semester's worth of club activities from fall of freshman year with a small premed organization. Then I had 1 semester worth of research, (somewhere around 90 hours) fall of sophomore year. That following summer, I shadowed an anesthesiologist in an ICU for about 60 hours, and now this semester, I have joined AMSA and signed up for volunteering at a hospital to get clinical experience hours.

As for hobbies, I play an instrument and I do photography for fun, but I don't know how important those are.

I'm a Texas resident, so I'm going to apply to all Texas schools, and then I'll probably apply to reach schools like Harvard and Johns Hopkins and the like just to make my dad happy.

My main concern is that I'm rushing everything in my junior year when it would have been better to actually spread these activities out and be very involved in them over the course of my education. How bad does my current situation look? Is it feasible for me to apply to reach schools and get interviews/potential acceptances given my lack of ECs? And what else can I improve on?

I apologize if I'm prematurely posting in this subforum, but I just didn't know where else to put this.

Members don't see this ad.

I just rececieved my MCAT score today, and I was pretty stoked upon seeing it. I feel much more confident about myself, but I'm still worried since I am really lacking in the EC department.

So far, my GPA is a 4.0 science, and cumulative, and my MCAT score distribution was 14 PS, 10 V, 13 BS.

As for my ECs, I have very little. I honestly don't know why I hopped on the train so late, but I'm trying to make up for lost ground these next two semesters since I want to apply this upcoming cycle.

I have about 1 semester's worth of club activities from fall of freshman year with a small premed organization. Then I had 1 semester worth of research, (somewhere around 90 hours) fall of sophomore year. That following summer, I shadowed an anesthesiologist in an ICU for about 60 hours, and now this semester, I have joined AMSA and signed up for volunteering at a hospital to get clinical experience hours.

As for hobbies, I play an instrument and I do photography for fun, but I don't know how important those are.

I'm a Texas resident, so I'm going to apply to all Texas schools, and then I'll probably apply to reach schools like Harvard and Johns Hopkins and the like just to make my dad happy.

My main concern is that I'm rushing everything in my junior year when it would have been better to actually spread these activities out and be very involved in them over the course of my education. How bad does my current situation look? Is it feasible for me to apply to reach schools and get interviews/potential acceptances given my lack of ECs? And what else can I improve on?

I apologize if I'm prematurely posting in this subforum, but I just didn't know where else to put this.

To be honest, you probably don't have a chance getting in anywhere with those stats.

Rack up the clinical experience and be excited for medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
-I am really lacking in the EC department.

-GPA is a 4.0 science, and cumulative,
-MCAT score distribution was 14 PS, 10 V, 13 BS.

-1 semester's worth of club activities from fall of freshman year with a small premed organization.
-1 semester worth of research, (somewhere around 90 hours) fall of sophomore year.
-That following summer, I shadowed an anesthesiologist in an ICU for about 60 hours,
-this semester, I have joined AMSA and
- signed up for volunteering at a hospital to get clinical experience hours.

-for hobbies, I play an instrument and I do photography for fun, but I don't know how important those are.

Your concerns about your ECs are appropriate. Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine. They are "Top Schools" because of the research dollars they receive, so they value substantive research experiences. Without strong research and leadership, or some other outstanding performance in some field of endeavor, you'd be wasting dad's money applying to schools like that, unless you're willing to put two years of prep time into creating a compelling application. I assume you don't want to do that, so I'll stick to the basics:

The average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience. I'm glad you've already signed up, but it looks like you'll have less than a year's worth by the time you apply in June 2012. Thus, it will be important for you to continue this activity into the application year and let schools know about it in update letters.

60 hours of shadowing is above average, but it would be wise to also shadow a primary care doc, even if only for a day, to show a breadth of experience. Do more, or add another specialty if you can.

Clubs don't help you unless they lead to leadership or community service. Otherwise, participate because it's fun and good for socialization, not because you think it makes you look good.

Your hobbies are actually artistic involvement and are excellent leisuretime activities that adcomms will want to hear about. They also probably have decent longevity, something you don't have in other activities, so definitely list them and try to show the passion you have for these activities in your description.

Texas schools like to see nonmedical community service. I'm talking about hands-on, off campus activities that help the less fortunate. Since teaching is another good activity, you might combine the two by coaching kids, tutoring kids after school, teaching ESL to adults through a community center, etc. Other possibilities are Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, scout involvement, food pantry, homeless shelter, womens shelter. But importantly, pick something for a cause you care about.

Even better would be to take on a leadership role in one of the above organizations.

A year of research is average. At least you have some. Big name schools are more drawn to applications with 2+ years. If you don't want to do more, just be sure you are particularly strong in some other area.

Good luck.

Thanks Catalystik, I appreciate your input and will keep your suggestions in mind. I'll try and improve where I can over the short amount of time that I have. I plan on volunteering throughout my senior year, and I'm graduating a semester early, so I plan on volunteering then as well, along with doing other productive things.

Despite my disadvantages in the EC department, would you say it is possible for me to have a legitimate shot at Baylor or UTSW if I improve on the clinical volunteer category and attempt to do some non-clinical work? I was thinking about doing substitute teaching for the semester I have when I graduate early, but I feel like it's too late in the application cycle to mention.

Thanks Catalystik, I appreciate your input and will keep your suggestions in mind. I'll try and improve where I can over the short amount of time that I have. I plan on volunteering throughout my senior year, and I'm graduating a semester early, so I plan on volunteering then as well, along with doing other productive things.

Despite my disadvantages in the EC department, would you say it is possible for me to have a legitimate shot at Baylor or UTSW if I improve on the clinical volunteer category and attempt to do some non-clinical work? I was thinking about doing substitute teaching for the semester I have when I graduate early, but I feel like it's too late in the application cycle to mention.

Hey Class of 2017er here! Here's some of my input. If you start clinical experiences, non-medical volunteering, and possibly research within the next month you will have a good shot at Texas schools. When stats like yours come around state schools they want to retain you and help boost their numbers. Your stats will definitely draw attention to your app and likely give you some interviews provided the other EC's begin soon. Then once you have been given an interview you will have the opportunity to explain your deficiencies (may be able to do this on secondary as well? not sure.). I say go for it you can do this!.

And congrats again on that 37!

Oh, I forgot to add that I've been in my school's MSA (Muslim Student Association) for like 2 years, and joined this year as well. Not sure if that's a big deal, but I figured it's somewhat important since I go to events and whatnot.

I started asking my old professors if they had any open positions for research, and they said that they didn't so I think I'll try for a little while longer before giving up. I'll try and tutor next semester though, and the only reason I didn't do it this year was because I heard about it past the application deadline. Would a semester of tutoring look decent? I just feel like crap trying to throw everything I should have done my first 2 years in the last year/semester before applications.

1) Oh, I forgot to add that I've been in my school's MSA (Muslim Student Association) for like 2 years, and joined this year as well. Not sure if that's a big deal, but I figured it's somewhat important since I go to events and whatnot.

2) I started asking my old professors if they had any open positions for research, and they said that they didn't so I think I'll try for a little while longer before giving up.

3) I'll try and tutor next semester though, and the only reason I didn't do it this year was because I heard about it past the application deadline. Would a semester of tutoring look decent?
1) This year take on a leadership role within the organization so it will help you.

2) Ask about next semester. All the labs are full right now, because most students started asking in May. And branch out from your own profs. Ask psychology, agriculture, biochem, etc faculty and your advisor if they know of any open spots. For every 7 faculty you email, you might get back one reply (positive or negative), so keep trying. Send each a copy of your transcript and a good reason why you are interested in their lab. Look on-line to see what each has published lately.

3) A semester of tutoring is fine, but do it off campus. Call some local HS and middle school counselors and ask if they have a program for tutoring after school.

Ok, sorry for bumping this, but I would appreciate some final input.

I managed to talk with a pediatrician back home, and they said they wouldn't mind me shadowing during winter break, so I think that will be beneficial to my application. I'm still working on hospital volunteering, but the coordinator said my app should be approved within the week. I hope to start that soon, and over winter break, I'm going to go home and do volunteer work at a hospital as well.

My main question is what constitutes as non-clinical volunteering? I feel like the term could apply to literally anything that doesn't relate to medicine. For example, I think my local mosque at school could use more helpers to do housekeeping and bookkeeping work to keep everything in order. Would that qualify as nonclinical volunteering? Sorry if my questions seem foolish, but I would like to clarify this.

And thank you so much everyone, and especially Catalystik, for being extremely helpful. I really appreciate all the input you have given me thus far.

My main question is what constitutes as non-clinical volunteering? I feel like the term could apply to literally anything that doesn't relate to medicine. For example, I think my local mosque at school could use more helpers to do housekeeping and bookkeeping work to keep everything in order. Would that qualify as nonclinical volunteering?
Refer back to my list of examples. But aside from those possibilities, yes, doing bookkeeping and cleaning service for the mosque would "qualify" as nonclinical volunteering, however, it wouldn't be as strong as giving your time to those with poor economic resources in the larger community or helping to run the HS youth group for the mosque by planning and chaperoning activities (both of which are more of a community service and involve interaction with people). It would be stronger than fund raising, though, since it's hands-on. JMO.

I'll try and see if it is possible for me to be in a more interactive role with the local community then. Like you said, it would be more beneficial to me in the long run then just doing daily chores. Once again, thanks.