38O, 3.34BCPM/ 3.4cgpa advise please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysbehind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 13B/12PS/13V = 38O
cGPA: 3.4
BCMP: 3.34
math major and completed pre-med requirements

I will be looking to apply in 2013 or 2014
I will be doing a summer research program at Univ. of Pittsburgh this summer, I have done one year of research + 2 summers at Baylor College of Medicine, and one summer + 2 semesters of research (co author) at my state school

I have presented at poster sessions and symposiums and my poster has placed first twice, 2010 and 2011.
I will be graduating December and joining a research lab full time in January, hopefully I can be co author on another paper. I will also look to getting clinical and volunteer experience this upcoming year.

What type of schools should I be shooting for? I am in Texas. Is UT Southwestern and Baylor out of reach. If I will be applying in the 2014 cycle, I may be able to take part time classes in 2013 and raise my gpa to a 3.5.

Members don't see this ad.

very impressive mcat score +pity+. med schools will definitley take a second look at your app from that alone. so make sure ur EC's are in line as doc said earlier.

and u should have a shot at those schools

Would getting a master's in statistics from UT-Austin help if I do well in the courses? I have always been interested in statistics and I would like to be as productive as possible if I am going to be taking two years gap.

Members don't see this ad :)
A majority of TX med schools accept 90% in-state so you have that to your advantage. Your stellar MCAT more than makes up for your sub-par GPA, you should have no problem landing interviews at a number of schools assuming decent LOR's/PS, which will hopefully turn into an acceptance.

It just seems to me that in the long run a masters in statistics would be useful if I ever were interested in clinical research as a MD or in medical schools, so i am able to justify to myself that even though i am taling a gap year, I am doing something i have always wanted to do and something that will be an investment in my future, whereas gaining clinical experience would be for padding my resume and would not have much long term use. I realize clinical experience is necessary so I'll do some shadowing and volunteering part time. Also, a ms in stats gives me options in case I don't get in or get in somewhere I'm not too fond of.

Thanks for your advice.

Whatever you do, don't let your MCAT score expire. Just don't.

It just seems to me that in the long run a masters in statistics would be useful if I ever were interested in clinical research as a MD or in medical schools, so i am able to justify to myself that even though i am taling a gap year, I am doing something i have always wanted to do and something that will be an investment in my future, whereas gaining clinical experience would be for padding my resume and would not have much long term use. I realize clinical experience is necessary so I'll do some shadowing and volunteering part time. Also, a ms in stats gives me options in case I don't get in or get in somewhere I'm not too fond of.

Thanks for your advice.

Most definitely re-think your attitude about this.