3rd and 4th Year Rotations for St. George's Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to put together a bit of info for future students of St. Georges who are in the process of selecting where they will be doing there 3rd year rotations (4th year electives as well). If you went to SGU can you please list where you did your third year rotations. If you can list why you chose this particular hospital and the Pros and Cons of the clinical center as well. Many students are thinking of a certain career path and there are specific centers that are stronger in say surgery or peds than others. If you feel this is so with your clinical center please state that as well.

Thanks

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did my rotations at NY Methodist. The neighborhood is great, it's affiliated with the Columbia/Cornell system, and they take SGU grads in all residencies they have.

The internal medicine residency is weak, but it's mostly because they seem to be stuck in a vicious circle where they get maybe 50% of the people they want and then get stuck with the bottom of those that don't match somewhere. Therefor, depending on your luck during IM rotations, you either have a really good experience or a really bad one. But there is a great chance for those interested in fellowships such as Pulmonology, Cardiology, Heme-Onc, GI because they want to take from in house. They desperately want SGU students to stay in IM, and from there fellowships, because they know SGU students are great students. They just have a little hard time going out of their way on the institutional level to make it a pleasant experience for you. If you can get around that though a few students from a class could virtually take over the program and pave the way for a great residency. I don't think there are enough students though that want to take that kind of leadership/initiative, especially when we're getting good IM residencies elsewhere, including good Univ. programs.

I did all cores and will be doing most of my electives at Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn. The hospital is rather nice for a city hospital, and we have a very nice clinical coordinator there who gives SGU students first dibs on electives. The Brooklyn Heights area is quite nice. Attendings by and large are good and eager to teach. This hospital is affiliated with SUNY Downstate, so you'll likely rotate with students from there as well as from Ross. The resident base is largely foreign (no surprise for an inner city hospital), but the batch of interns I worked with this year were for the most part hardworking and a lot of fun. Atmosphere of rotations is very resident dependent, but I think that's pretty much the same anywhere. Most of my rotations were relatively benign--even surgery (although if you're dead-set on getting an "A" in surgery, don't bother going here. Grades really mean squat, however, as you'll learn quickly)...but I digress.

LICH offers many IM fellowships as well, and pretty much any SGU student who wants IM will get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great feedback guys. Thanks!

I did all my cores at Jamaica. Its a medium sized community hospital in not the best part of town. Its a level 1 trauma center with a very busy ED.
Here you get to see lots of pathology. There are very sick people here.
The average hours for students are longer than most other hospitals, you really don't get any vacation during third year, maybe a day off for thanksgiving, memorial day or christmas. While many see this negatively, the upside is you finish 3rd year a lot earlier than most other students especially since there is no 3rd year mandatory elective.
The highlights include a month on trauma surgery which most people love even though the hours are pretty bad (q2). Ob/gyn probably had the worst hours but its a good department and very busy. You'll see and deliver a lot of babies. Also for the those interested in Ob the head of the deptartment here is extremely well known in the ob community.
A downside to this hospital is probably the formal didactics. There really isn't much. Some rotations are better than others though. Basically this puts some pressure on you to go home and study on your own. This hospital is not a place you should come to if you aren't self motivated. If you are, you will get a lot out of the experience here.