3rd attempt. how to prepare for QR ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikexima

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the DAT twice and both times my lowest scores were QR and RC with scores of 15-16 each. I can do the math, just not fast enough. This time I will practice more. However, as for the RC goes, I have no idea how to prepare for this test anymore. I've done kaplan, topscore and achiever and they all seem too easy compared to the real thing. im honestly happy with a 19 or better on RC but im just lost and too confused. does anyone have any suggestions on improving the score? I have tried both making a road map and the search and destory method. both times it was a total failure. Actually reading the passage takes much more time than is given and I can't recall half the info i've read.

what should i do ?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried Crack DAT MAT. It is a good preparation tool. I have made improvements on their tests and have learned valuable stuff. Try it

Members don't see this ad :)
For QR: IMO MATH destroyer is best book out there. Has 10 QR practice tests, thats 400 total questions and answers. If you master them, your going to be in really good shape for QR as most of the DAT questions are the same as the MATH destroyer questions with just different numbers.

For RC: I had the same problem as you, I sucked hard at RC, every practice test I took I always scored between 14-16. So I gave up on it. I stopped practicing RC cause I learned one thing: you can NOT improve your reading comprehension in a matter of few months. This is a skill that needs years to build (some of you will disagree with me). I read about 120-150 words per minute and thats always been the norm for me. Anyways My plan for the DAT RC was to "wing it"..... Go into the test and answer the questions whatever way I felt like it. No plans, no strategy, let my instincts search for each answer......... I got away with a 19 and was happy as hell.... Call me lucky, call me stupid, but hey If I woulda kept following those "strategies", I woulda probably ended up with a 14-16 score.... I am not telling you to wing it, I am just sharing my experience with how frustrating it was to practice RC and never doing well

I agree that you can't really improve your reading ability much in a short period of time, BUT you can dramatically improve your score through practice and strategy.

It's all about strategy for RC. RC doesn't really test your understaning of the content IMO. Sure, there are a couple application/inference questions, but not too many. I used the "Search & Destroy" method. Just read the question and answer choices, search for it in the text, and as you are reading, take brief notes noting key terms in each paragraph. It does wonders. Good luck.

I can't tell you how to read or understand the passage but for me, I never practiced for the exam. Reading is reading! it's either you get it or you dont but during my exam, I spent the 1st 6-8 mins reading the passage in it's entirety. word for word. This way you know where things are and if by any chance you need to go back to look for an answer, you know where to look. But as i said i read the passage 1st and then answered the questions and I only referred back if I was unsure about something. but go with ur 1st instinct. Lastly, I sucked in my QR but i went up 3 pts by using the DAT destroyer and math Destroyer. I can honestly say there are just too many questions to truly be able to go through each and every sing one but if you can, I guarantee you would get at least 4 - 6 pts better. I was only able to get through half the regular destroyer and I went up 3 pts. So imagine what your score would be if you tackle the math destroyer? Good luck:xf:

exactly..... i feel helpless for RC. I dont even think its worth taking this test over again because the second time i took it, my AA fell 1 point lower than the first. and this damn reading is just out of this world for me. I tried both road mapping and search and destroy on the exam and both failed.

Anyone who is interested, check out the article I wrote on RC here:

http://optometrystudents.com/oat-test-prep-reading-comprehension/

The ADA administers both the DAT and OAT, and far as I can tell, there is virtually no difference between the two tests other than that you guys have perceptual ability (whereas we have physics) and the scaled scoring scale is a bit different (ours runs from 200-400).

Math is the reason why many students have to retake the test as well as me.....my best advice to you would be to work on your basic math formulas and basic review of everything in math from a kaplan review book........try to make QR flashcards or find some online to do before u goto sleep .......you have to get math destroyer because it has so many damn problems for you to do like 400 and it has detailed solutions unlike the other softwares or books.......it is quite challenging but once you get the hang of it you will start seeing a difference...........CDM in my opinion is not that good and it it limited but math destroyer will give u a variety of problems and solutions so go with that