3rd round??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peerless218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok... so I STILL have not heard anything back from school since I retook my DAT in Nov. The only good news is, I have not received any rejection letters since my first DAT score was reported. Right now, it's almost Feb. Am I looking at being the round 3 candidates??? man this really sucks. I hate this whole waiting game. :(

I did add a predent profile recently so if you guys wanna check out my stats, go right ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to say, but your predictions about third round is pretty much true...
Now that january 15th has passed, most of the schools will start to hand out second round acceptances to ppl who interviwed in december/january (or possibly before).

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that january 15th has passed, most of the schools will start to hand out second round acceptances to ppl who interviwed in december/january (or possibly before).

so if we havent heard back from schools by now, are we pretty much doomed? is it pretty rare to get interview invites from now on?

When do they normally start this process of 2nd round acceptances? I know that ASDOH has already started. I know of one person (so far) that has been called off the wailtist. But what about the other schools? Or is it based on from here until the start of school you can get the call?

Good luck to everyone who is still hopeful.

When do they normally start this process of 2nd round acceptances? I know that ASDOH has already started. I know of one person (so far) that has been called off the wailtist. But what about the other schools? Or is it based on from here until the start of school you can get the call?

Good luck to everyone who is still hopeful.

I think most schools are looking at how many responded by the Jan 15th deadline, and are now re-ranking the applicants to send out the second batch. UNLV told me early February.

It does depend pretty heavily on the way schools' adcoms work as well.
For example, UCSF is pretty much done for this year because they only do interviews til end of January and I believe just about all of the invites are out now (unless ppl who got in elsewhere cancel their interview). But for schools like USC and Columbia (the two that are sort of known for doing things somewhat later in the cycle) are still inviting ppl for interviews.
But as I've said before, if you haven't heard back from any schools even for interviews, you're probably in the third round. Usually second round is for people who interviewed in december/january and they usually get their acceptances sometime in mid~late january when schools find out how many seats are still open after the january 15th deadline passes for the dec 1 acceptances.
The third/fourth/fifth rounds I would say is probably from somewhere now til may with the last round being may ~ school starts. The process is as I've mentioned different for each school. Some schools like to send out batches of acceptances while some send out one acceptance at a time as people decline their offers.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
great..so I guess I will pretty much reapply next year. AWESOME!!!!

Your stats look pretty good, at least on average with most dental schools. Did you notify schools that you were planning on retaking or did you call and make sure they received your new scores? If you haven't heard any good news yet then i'm pretty sure I'm doomed for this cycle too :(

sure did sir, that's why they did not reject me after seeing my first DAT score. hey man, hang in there!! We can make it!!