3rd-time applicant to-be needs your help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like I need to start my application again. Here is my story. I'm employed full-time as an engineer, completed my prereqs over 4 years. Along the way, I got deployed and missed a year in my feeble attempts to pursue my dream of being a dentist.

1st cycle: GPA=3.2, DAT=17.
AADSAS sent to 5 schools, only did 1 secondary 'cause my OChem was a 14 (hadn't taken OChem II class yet!)

2nd cycle: GPA=3.3, Sci GPA=3.5, DAT=19, PAT=22
AADSAS sent to 15 schools in early Oct.
LORs: 2 professors, 1 dentist
Shadowing: only 40 hours
ECs: not much recently, work full-time and military Reserves on weekends
Current status:3 interviews, 2 waitlists, hope dwindling every moment

I was foolishly confident that I would get in somewhere in '08. By the way, I'm extremely older than average. 35++++. The dentists I shadowed told me my age would be an advantage. My family thinks that they take one look at me in the interview and say .... forget it, he's too old! I am confident that I would be a good dentist, but certainly not for as many years as all of you in your 20s and early 30s. Am I just too old?

What should I do with my average stats??? Should I retake the DAT? Go nuts volunteering and shadowing? Both? There is not much I can do about my GPA, as I didn't take classes this past year. I know I need to apply early.

Any advice you have for an old guy is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your stats are good. Apply early and I think you will be ok. 19 is a good score and your average is competitive. Forget what others say that you need 20s all across, that is diffenetly not true for most schools. As for the age thing, I work for a dentist who began dental school at 38. Also while I was in dental hygiene school/Baylor college of dentistry, there were a couple of 38+ dental students. Again, I would apply early...May/June. I would show my face at the college of interest and visit with the dean of admissions and talk about your interest in dentistry and what you need to do to better your chances... I would apply first.

Good luck.

apply early.... october is late!!! Try getting yoru app sent out in may for the 3rd cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with the other two. just do more ECs and apply early.

only retake the DAT if you are 100% positive you can score higher. a 22 in pat is very good.

your dentist is right. older is better!

It looks like I need to start my application again. Here is my story. I'm employed full-time as an engineer, completed my prereqs over 4 years. Along the way, I got deployed and missed a year in my feeble attempts to pursue my dream of being a dentist.

1st cycle: GPA=3.2, DAT=17.
AADSAS sent to 5 schools, only did 1 secondary 'cause my OChem was a 14 (hadn't taken OChem II class yet!)

2nd cycle: GPA=3.3, Sci GPA=3.5, DAT=19, PAT=22
AADSAS sent to 15 schools in early Oct.
LORs: 2 professors, 1 dentist
Shadowing: only 40 hours
ECs: not much recently, work full-time and military Reserves on weekends
Current status:3 interviews, 2 waitlists, hope dwindling every moment

I was foolishly confident that I would get in somewhere in '08. By the way, I'm extremely older than average. 35++++. The dentists I shadowed told me my age would be an advantage. My family thinks that they take one look at me in the interview and say .... forget it, he's too old! I am confident that I would be a good dentist, but certainly not for as many years as all of you in your 20s and early 30s. Am I just too old?

What should I do with my average stats??? Should I retake the DAT? Go nuts volunteering and shadowing? Both? There is not much I can do about my GPA, as I didn't take classes this past year. I know I need to apply early.

Any advice you have for an old guy is appreciated!

Your problem is not your age. Your problem is your GPA. You may want to consider getting an M.S. to prove (to yourself) that you can still cut it.