1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3rd Times a Charm!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by BowlingDoctor, Nov 7, 2018.

1. BowlingDoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey All!

So I am a MO resident and the past two cycles I have applied to UMKC. My fiancé was keen on us not moving out of state but since this cycle it is not looking good....I am allowed to apply to multiple schools! Looks like (if I get in) we may be moving!

I am going to start preparing for next cycle by getting a list of schools together and doing extensive research. At this point I really don't care about cost, if I get into multiple I'll go to the cheapest one.

Undergrad GPA - 3.1 Its low but I was at a 2.2 four years ago and took a while to bring it up.
    DAT - 19AA and 24 PAT
    MBA GPA (In progress but will be done by September) - 4.0

200+ Shadowing hours. 2000+ hours as an assistant Chairside
    650+ hours volunteering. (Including Captain/president of one club and held a position with schools PDS)

I basically have extensively looked into UMKC. So thats about all I know.

I've looked into...

MOSDOH (Don't care for the program, since you move after two years)
    ASDOH
    Oklahoma (My Dentist went there)

But I need help with a list of schools to apply to. I'm looking anywhere from 10-15 schools.

If you are going to say "Give up and choose another career" please don't comment.

Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. princeafrica

Pre-Dental
    Give up and choose another career.......

BowlingDoctor likes this.
  4. princeafrica

Pre-Dental
    I'm kidding bro. I think you should add Colorado! Seeing that you started with a 2.2 and are now at 3.1 that is a huge upward trend I am assuming and Colorado likes those kinds of trends. Your shadowing and volunteer hours are great too. Apply early! DAT is solid

5. BasicG

Throw Creighton into the mix! They're one of the most OOS friendly schools in the country, have a great clinical program, have a brand new school that opened this year, and the school is about 2 hours north of Kansas City if you want to stay relatively close to the area. Oh and housing is dirt cheap in the Omaha area

6. Sweettooth326

Pre-Dental
    Apply to some more private schools:
    NYU
    Tufts
    LECOM
    USC
    Western
    Midwestern
    Touro
    Roseman

Great job on the upward trend and best of luck to you!

yasc and Faefly like this.
  7. hurryupdec3rd

Creighton have a cutoff gpa i believe. I would get in contact with them before applying since your gpa might not make the cutoff.

8. hurryupdec3rd

Louisville (very oos friendly)
    Kentucky
    Midwestern az/il
    Asdoh/mosdoh (high emphasis on service)
    Lecom
    Touro
    Roseman (emphasis on last 30 hours sgpa)
    Une

yasc likes this.
  9. Faefly

Faefly I am a Naruto fan Now!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You need to apply to many schools.
    Best of luck.

macsak likes this.
  10. AppalachianDentalBoy

AppalachianDentalBoy SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Dental
    Don't apply to Oklahoma. I'm sure they have a fine program but they accept very few OOS students.

11. DSchoolorBust202X

Pre-Dental
    I would look into Indiana and UNLV.

Bigjt1420 likes this.
  12. dent_wannabe

Pre-Dental
    Although you have a great upward trend, for your GPA in the end, your best shot may be at expensive private schools, such as NYU, USC, Tufts, and Boston. What is the breakdown of your DAT? If most of your sections are below 20, I may advise retaking.

13. Bigjt1420

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    As DSchoolorBust2022X said above, look into UNLV and Indiana. I had right around a 3.1 GPA (Science and cumulative) and got into both schools! At UNLV now.

I did have a 24 on the DAT, so that certainly helped. With your lower GPA, I believe you need to retake the DAT and get at least a 22. I took it twice, got an 18 on the first and like I said 24 on the second. You are in a precarious situation though, because if you retake the DAT and get a 19 again or 20, you don't have that WOW factor they need. Really work hard for that 22+ on the DAT, and you have a chance.

Good luck!

14. nicole2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I applied to both Indiana and UNLV this cycle and got rejected. I applied to Indiana cuz they seemed to accept a couple of Illinois resident (which I am) and seemed to have strong emphasis on service, but got rejected!Aso with UNLV, look into their calculating system. Its posted somewhere on sdn. They calculate applicant’s gpa and dat and only interview/accept applicants who make that cutoff.