3rd Year Med Student wanting to be a PRS-but via ENT or GS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year med student and my ultimate goal is to be a plastic surgeon doing body/face. Is it that much of a disadvantage to do ENT residency vs. General Surgery to secure a 2 year PRS fellowship? Is there such a significantly bigger preference for general surg residents over ENT residents? I really love plastics but i dont want to confine to just face, but ENT would give better training for face. Please, help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

If you know you want to do Plastic Surgery I would encourage you to apply for one of the integrated spots. I don't think it's a better model, but its the most secure position for the future. If you're going to do something else first, you're statistically better off doing General Surgery. When given the choice with the traditional match, most programs would prefer Surgery to ENT for applicants, although an superior ENT applicant is on pretty much even footing (at least in the program where I was involved with this process).

As far as an ENT background with subsequent training. My personal belief is really that Rhinoplasty and parotidectomy/radical neck disection procedures would be the only things where you really have signifigant advantage. However most PRS programs aren't doing much H&N cancer procedures these days. Facial fractures were pretty easy pick-up for me despite having no background prior. Most facial aesthetic procedures are not technically hard, rather judgement is what gets predictable results

Some ENT programs also get some reconstructive microsurgical exposure which can help with the transition with the heavy volume of those cases you'll do as a Plastic Surgery resident. The background you'll have from vascular surgery during general surgery makes that much easier then from ENT though.