3rd year rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkIsGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school we have the option of pushing back a core rotation (family or neuro) and taking an elective during the 3rd year. It would be a 2 week rotation (I think it could be a 4 week rotation as well). Should I do a 2 or 4 week rotation during 3rd year, then rotate through dermatology again at the beginning of 4th year before going on away rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are 100% sure you want to dermatology, then I don't think it's necessary to do a rotation during your 3rd year. Then again if you have a home program it would be great to establish contacts asap.

On the other hand if you're considering derm but aren't sure and don't want to commit to all of the stress that comes with applying for aways then I would do a rotation to get your feet wet and see if it's something you actually like.

Agree with above, if you are sure you want dermatology, it would be best to do your first dermatology rotation as a 4th year. Through no fault of their own (most of the time), we find that students who rotate twice through a department tend to hurt rather than help their chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't rotate twice. Faculty will easily get tired of you, and you may get the label of "annoying" or "clingy" thru no fault of your own. Best advice is to get in, rock the rotation, and then get the hell out (after asking for a letter of recommendation of course).

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely don't rotate twice. Faculty will easily get tired of you, and you may get the label of "annoying" or "clingy" thru no fault of your own. Best advice is to get in, rock the rotation, and then get the hell out (after asking for a letter of recommendation of course).

QFT. Imo, being too over the top or annoying will hurt you way more than lack of knowledge or ability or anything else obsessive students obsess about.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad I asked this question. I'm 100% sure on derm if I get a high enough step score. I will not do a 3rd year rotation. Thanks everyone.

Actually, it depends how long you can defer the 3rd year rotation. If you can defer it into the fall or beyond then I think it is a no-brainer to defer the rotation. Then I would do a 4 weeker at your home institution and then head off to a derm rotation elsewhere so that you go early - that is if you can get an early enough rotation elsewhere. I agree that doing two rotations at the same institution is not a good idea at all and, in reality, a waste of your time. Going on rotations early is always helpful because there tends to be less medical students and you can typically have much better exposure instead of when the place is crawling with rotating medical students in the July/August/Sept months.

If you can only defer it by one rotation, it may still be worth it but that depends on how your schedule looks.