3rd year Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acro Yali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about any tips/advices on how to do well in third year? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What a great open-ended, no real answer, let me give my opinion question!

Everyone 'does' third year a little differently. But all successful 3rd years have a few things in common.

#1 READ. Every chance you get, you should have your head in a book to be ready for those infamous pimp questions as well as preparation for the exam at the end. I failed to do this during my first few rotations and paid the price.

#2 Don't GOON your fellow students. Although this may make you "look good" in front of residents and attendings (wise docs see through this facade), your classmates will hate you and make your life miserable. In other words, don't ask questions that you know the answers to but know that your fellow comrade does not just to make yourself look stellar. These people suck. Yes, I'm bitter.

#3 Show up to the hospital earlier than you think you need to. You will give yourself plenty of time to gather all the info about your patients you need as well as lab. It never failed that if I showed up with just enough time to see all my patients, one of them had crumped over night and was in the ICU. This significantly puts a kink in your time schedule.

#4 Be prepared to stay at the hospital later than you want. This shows dedication and all residents love a hard worker. But if they tell you to go home, say "Are you sure there's nothing else that needs to be done?". They will then say "GO HOME!". You will then proceed directly to your recliner at home.

#5 Show interest. Even if you know the specialty is not for you, all faculty/residents want you to like their specialty the best. They went into it and can't fathom you not wanting to enter it either. If you're on Peds, live it and breathe it and READ it.

#6 Realize that much of your grading is subjective and just getting along with everyone is key to your success. Sometimes the subjective grade does not represent what you feel your performance was. Shrug it off and keep on truckin'.

#7 Have fun. Although you feel as if you're being critiqued at every corner, you aren't. Residents are busy and are lucky to remember your name. You will be assessed on your knowledge and work ethic more than your physical skills.

#8 Read.

Some sound advice above. I definitely agree with items number 2 and 3; the only time that I've had to give a student a bad evaluation was because she would consistently not show up early enough to get the minimal work we had asked her to do done. Bear in mind that I am no early riser and we generally don't give students more than they can handle - but I (nor any other resident) should not have to ask a student MORE THAN ONCE if they can handle the work and to come in on time to get it done. 'nuf said.

I do however disagree with the advice given in Item 5. Showing interest is great and we all love enthusiastic students, but no one expects everyone to love their field and we hate nothing more than a suck up or liar who insists every field they rotate through is their favorite. Frankly, I'd think more of someone who DIDN'T want to be a surgeon. Be honest - or at the very least, be p.c. and say that you're giving every rotation a chance before making up your mind. We can usually tell when someone isn't interested; don't waste your time and pretend to like something. Just be interested in learning, regardless of the subject matter and its future relevance to your career.

Don't complain about the hours. You will get little sympathy from overworked, fatigued residents. I still shake my head in wonder at the day I found medical students sleeping in the intern call room complaining that they had "only" 5 hours of sleep the night before. Its a good night, make that excellent night, for me if I get 5 hours (so stay out of my bed in case I want to take a nap). You can sympathize with residents and complain to your friends, but you won't win any friends or awards by complaining about the hours. Remember we are here longer than you are.

Leave when you have the chance - but don't leave before you are told to. It looks bad. It really, really sucks to stay around, especially when you aren't doing anything (believe me, I do a lot of it too), but the student who leaves without asking or just doesn't show quickly buys themself a bad evaluation. Ask and when we say, "get outta here, see ya in the morning", ask once if we're sure and then leave. Don't ask twice - we might change our minds! :wink:

There are many more tips. If I think of them I'll post some more.

Best of luck.