3rd yr rotation on a different service, but wanting to shadow the ortho service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be doing a radiology elective next month at Pinnacle Health in Harrisburg, PA and want to shadow the ortho residents while I'm there. I'm not trying to get into the OR, but instead want to see pre/post op stuff and maybe some clinic. I want to get an idea of what ortho residency is like outside the OR and won't have a chance before I start picking away rotations. The place I will be doing surgery at doesn't have a residency program.

My question is: How do I approach the residents to ask if I can do this? What should I say? Who should I talk to (Chief resident, senior resident, intern)? I don't want to intrude or get in the way of the 4th years on their away rotations.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I will be doing a radiology elective next month at Pinnacle Health in Harrisburg, PA and want to shadow the ortho residents while I'm there. I'm not trying to get into the OR, but instead want to see pre/post op stuff and maybe some clinic. I want to get an idea of what ortho residency is like outside the OR and won't have a chance before I start picking away rotations. The place I will be doing surgery at doesn't have a residency program.

My question is: How do I approach the residents to ask if I can do this? What should I say? Who should I talk to (Chief resident, senior resident, intern)? I don't want to intrude or get in the way of the 4th years on their away rotations.

Thanks

I tried doing this at my hospital and got lots of red tape from GME and the PD. Residents were cool with it but told me to ask the PD. Also there are visiting rotators currently so I didn't want to take any opportunity away from them. You can show up to one of the morning didactic sessions which are open to the students and befriend one of the residents and ask them what the deal is. That's what I did.

I tried doing this at my hospital and got lots of red tape from GME and the PD. Residents were cool with it but told me to ask the PD. Also there are visiting rotators currently so I didn't want to take any opportunity away from them. You can show up to one of the morning didactic sessions which are open to the students and befriend one of the residents and ask them what the deal is. That's what I did.

Yea that's what I'm worried about. I'm hoping since it's in November that they would be a bit more lenient about it. I'll just ask around when I'm there. I figure I'll have free time and I'd like to be productive with it.