4.0, 518, D1 Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrmjrm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Hello everyone! Planning on applying this coming summer, and I really appreciate your input. I am a traditional applicant, white, male, and from Ohio. I am also a member of the varsity swim team at a top tier division 1 school. Here is my information:

GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 518
Major: Biomedical engineering

Clinical Experience:
- Shadowing: 30 hours
- Free clinic volunteering: 30 hours

Research:
- 150 hours in research lab
- Conference abstract (clinical)
- Poster presentation (for a capstone design class)

Non-Clinical ECs:
- Volunteer readings twice a week for last 2 years to second grade students in underserved schools to promote literacy and education
- 4 summers swim coaching (2 summers as head coach)
- 4 year varsity letter winner in D1 college swimming
- Elected representative of Student Athletic Advisory Board for my university

School List:

Ohio State
Duke
Virginia
Pitt
Northwestern
Michigan
Case
Cincinnati
Toledo
Penn
Pritzker
Vanderbilt
Cornell

Still working a lot on school list. I feel like it’s a bit top heavy but I’m not positive. I feel like my extracurriculars are a bit weak, but I am looking for opinions. Not sure how much the swimming will contribute to the application. Really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are perfect for the schools you are shooting for. However, with such schools you need more than just numbers to stand out. You need to significantly increase your clinical hours, and you should also consider volunteering with underserved communities.

Looks like it could be a solid app. I think your clinical volunteer hours could use a boost so definitely get involved with that some more before applying. Otherwise solid numbers and great gpa despite d1 athletics commitment. I was an athlete with a similar app and had some luck so I think you’ll do fine. Pick some top tiers (consider adding washu and yale based on my experience) and maybe add a few more mid tiers like gtown, BU, wake forest. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you have more clinical hours, you'd be golden

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all so much for your input! I really appreciate it. I definitely agree with the clinical hours part. I did do over 120 hours of hospital volunteering when I was in high school—which I know doesn’t count—but I was planning on mentioning that as a part of my personal statement at least. But I’m definitely going to try to get more involved with the free clinic before I apply and explore other opportunities as well.

Add more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours before you apply. Add Wright State, NEOMED and Carle-Illinois to your list.