4.0, 522, limited volunteering? WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightaxel0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. 4.0, 522, ORM, State Institution
  2. 160 hours volunteering Alzheimer's Adult Day Care (plus 32 additional hours mentoring two new volunteers)
  3. 92 hours volunteering at our local Hope Lodge (similar to Ronald McDonald House but for cancer patients)
  4. 624 hours research experience (basic science neurobiology lab), manuscript just submitted, 6 poster presentations (mostly state, two others at Memphis and Asheville for NCUR), received a $1500 department level grant for research proposal
  5. 76 hours total Shadowing experience (ER, OR, Cardiology, and Internal Medicine)
  6. President of school's premedical chapter of medical fraternity (significant part of my college experience: some volunteering at local hospitals and nursing homes, organizing a major philanthropy event for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals that raised ~$3000, etc.)
  7. Writer for Odyssey Online (online newspaper with different college communities) (for one year only)
  8. TA for organic chemistry recitation (paid position, 5 hours per week)
I am a little worried that my volunteering hours are on the low side. I've been a long time lurker and decided to give this post a try. Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? When are you planning to apply ?

I’m in KY. I have already put in my apps to my state schools and bordering states. I’m wondering if I should add any more and which. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Washington University
U Chicago
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Rochester
NYU
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Einstein
Jefferson
Tufts
Duke

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Washington University
U Chicago
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Rochester
NYU
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Einstein
Jefferson
Tufts
Duke

Thank you! Do you see any concern with my volunteering not being enough?

You've got pretty good volunteering. Your clinical volunteering is good (250 hours) and you were president of a premedical fraternity which did service, so that's your nonclinical there. You are a rock star. Congratulations. Add Harvard and Yale to Faha's list.

You are Golden.png

1. 4.0, 522, ORM, State Institution
  2. 160 hours volunteering Alzheimer's Adult Day Care (plus 32 additional hours mentoring two new volunteers)
  3. 92 hours volunteering at our local Hope Lodge (similar to Ronald McDonald House but for cancer patients)
  4. 624 hours research experience (basic science neurobiology lab), manuscript just submitted, 6 poster presentations (mostly state, two others at Memphis and Asheville for NCUR), received a $1500 department level grant for research proposal
  5. 76 hours total Shadowing experience (ER, OR, Cardiology, and Internal Medicine)
  6. President of school's premedical chapter of medical fraternity (significant part of my college experience: some volunteering at local hospitals and nursing homes, organizing a major philanthropy event for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals that raised ~$3000, etc.)
  7. Writer for Odyssey Online (online newspaper with different college communities) (for one year only)
  8. TA for organic chemistry recitation (paid position, 5 hours per week)
I am a little worried that my volunteering hours are on the low side. I've been a long time lurker and decided to give this post a try. Best of luck to everyone!
I suggest:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo