4.0 GPA, 34 MCAT, NJ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Markymark15

Free food?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4.0 GPA
34 MCAT (12/10/12 Bio/Verbal/Phys)
NJ Resident
Junior
Asian male (Filipino)

Volunteering
- Volunteer at the hospital with lots of patient contact for about 1.5 years and counting (100+ hours) (2.5 hours a week)

Research
- Worked with another graduate student on organic syntheses of novel compounds through a novel mechanism found at the lab (1 year) (about 15 hours a week during school and 32 hours a week during the whole summer)

- Tutored other students in many different subjects including organic chemistry, calculus, and general chemistry (probably about 1-2 hours a week) (on my own, unpaid)
- Attend American Medical Student Association, Filipino club, Judo Club (1 semester)

Awards
-Presidential Scholar (almost full ride to Rutgers)
-Honors Student
-Dean lister
-Award for one of the highest grade in my Honors General Chemistry class
-Award for one of the highest grade in my Honors Organic Chemistry class
-Phi Beta Kappa

Hobbies/interests: Basketball, investing, reading non-fiction
Languages: English (fluent), Tagalog (intermediate), French (basic), Spanish (basic)

Note: I have AP credit for Biology but I have taken already advanced classes in Biology. I have AP credit for Physics as well.

Planning on some shadowing if I can. I did volunteer for about 8 to 10 hours in my own doctor's office. I don't know if that counts as shadowing because he did teach me some stuff about immunizations and other pediatric things. I also want to do some volunteering in a non-medical area.

Need help with my school list:

Drexel University College of Medicine
New York Medical College
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
UMDNJ - New Jersey
Cooper Medical School
Temple University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College
University of Rochester
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Boston University
New York University School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4.0 GPA
34 MCAT
NJ Resident
Junior
Asian male (Filipino)

Volunteering
- Volunteer at the hospital with lots of patient contact for about 1.5 years and counting (100+ hours) (2.5 hours a week)

Research
- Worked with another graduate student on organic syntheses of novel compounds through a novel mechanism found at the lab (1 year) (about 15 hours a week during school and 32 hours a week during the whole summer)

- Tutored other students in many different subjects including organic chemistry, calculus, and general chemistry (probably about 1-2 hours a week) (on my own, unpaid)
- Attend American Medical Student Association, Filipino club, Judo Club (1 semester)

Awards
-Presidential Scholar (almost full ride to Rutgers)
-Honors Student
-Dean lister
-Award for one of the highest grade in my Honors General Chemistry class
-Award for one of the highest grade in my Honors Organic Chemistry class

Hobbies/interests: Basketball, investing, reading non-fiction

Note: I have AP credit for Biology but I have taken already advanced classes in Biology. I have AP credit for Physics as well.

Planning on some shadowing if I can. I did volunteer for about 8 to 10 hours in my own doctor's office. I don't know if that counts as shadowing because he did teach me some stuff about immunizations and other pediatric things. I also want to do some volunteering in a non-medical area.

Need help with my school list:

Drexel University College of Medicine
New York Medical College
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
UMDNJ - New Jersey
Cooper Medical School
Temple University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College
University of Rochester
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Boston University
New York University School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University

Thank you
Give me a break. Do you want someone to tell you you need some Caribbean safeties?

Reactions: 1 users
Give me a break. Do you want someone to tell you you need some Caribbean safeties?

He's probably reacting to the tough medicine often dispensed in WAMC.

Listen dude, you can probably afford to put a few more reasonable reaches in there like Cornell and Virginia, for example.

Members don't see this ad :)

It was not my intention to sound/appear arrogant or pretentious. I just wanted a critique of my school list. It is not done yet and would like some opinion on what schools are good to add, especially for reaches.

He's probably reacting to the tough medicine often dispensed in WAMC.

Listen dude, you can probably afford to put a few more reasonable reaches in there like Cornell and Virginia, for example.

Thanks, going to add those to my list.

Your co-curricular activities are pretty average, but sufficient to show that you know what medicine is about. Your scores are also pretty decent. If your finances permit it, aim higher. What are some things you're looking for in a medical school? If you can give me some sense of that, I can try to suggest a few reaches that might suit you well.

Thanks for the reply,

Generally, I'd prefer a medical school in the northeast/east coast area. I am cost-conscious and would like ones that offer generous financial aid or have relatively low tuition so I don't go deep in debt. I don't have any preferences in the set-up of the curriculum or grading, but I'd prefer schools with a good cardiology program since that's what I am aiming for, though I may change my mind once in medical school. It would be awesome if students get clinical experience as early as possible. I might also take part in research so I'd like schools with good research opportunities for students.