4.0 gpa, weak EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crymzon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT the other day so I'm waiting on my score but I'm thinking I got around a 31/32. not the greatest but if I get that score, I don't think I'll retake it. My GPA is a 4.0 (at a top 25 undergraduate university if that makes a difference). My EC's are probably going to hurt me. By the time I apply, I will have:

70 hrs clinical volunteering abroad in an underprivileged area, (lots of hands on experience)
110 hrs ER volunteering
~40 hours non medical volunteering
150-170 hours medical research
70 hours sociology research
~30 hours shadowing
-100 hours working in a physicians office (didn't actual doing anything medically related)

also, I'm confident that my letters of rec will be good.

Given this, what kind of schools do you guys think I should apply to? I'll be applying this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Aim for the low tiers, new scghools, and, depending upon the MCAT score, some DO schools.

I took the MCAT the other day so I'm waiting on my score but I'm thinking I got around a 31/32. not the greatest but if I get that score, I don't think I'll retake it. My GPA is a 4.0 (at a top 25 undergraduate university if that makes a difference). My EC's are probably going to hurt me. By the time I apply, I will have:

70 hrs clinical volunteering abroad in an underprivileged area, (lots of hands on experience)
110 hrs ER volunteering
~40 hours non medical volunteering
150-170 hours medical research
70 hours sociology research
~30 hours shadowing
-100 hours working in a physicians office (didn't actual doing anything medically related)

also, I'm confident that my letters of rec will be good.

Given this, what kind of schools do you guys think I should apply to? I'll be applying this cycle

I'm confused... your EC's aren't incredible, but they're pretty solid (especially with a little more shadowing). A 31/32 is right around average, and the 4.0 is nice. I'd say apply to mid and low tier schools. Purchase the MSAR and pick schools whose MCAT median is around your score. If you score a 31/32, aim for schools with median MCAT between 30-32.

If you end up scoring below 30, then still apply to MD schools with median around 30, but also throw in a few DO schools to be safe. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say the low tier schools because of my lower MCAT, or because of the low EC's, or a combination of both? Like if I happened to score upper 30's, then how would where I should apply to change? Also, do you guys have any recommendations on how to expand my EC's in the next 4-5 months in any significant way to raise my chances for better schools?

Would you say the low tier schools because of my lower MCAT, or because of the low EC's, or a combination of both? Like if I happened to score upper 30's, then how would where I should apply to change? Also, do you guys have any recommendations on how to expand my EC's in the next 4-5 months in any significant way to raise my chances for better schools?

Starting new EC's the semester before applying probably won't significantly improve your app. But if there's something you'd like to start because you're into it, then go for it. Your GPA is good, your EC's are more or less average, and a 31/32 is also about average. Nothing wrong with that. It just means you should apply broadly to low/mid tier MD schools. Unless you are positive that you can score a 34+, don't retake a 31/32. I would recommend you use this semester to keep up the EC's and get some more shadowing (at least 50 hours total). Purchase the MSAR to help you make a smart list of schools. Good luck.

edit: should you score below a 30 and decide to keep it, then definitely add in some DO schools.

Just to update, I ended up scoring a 31. Not happy with it but I don't know if I'll retake.

Retake is highly risky at that score. But that score is fine especially with your GPA. Luckily the weakest part of your application is low-risk, high-reward, low-investment: EC's. I'd apply broadly (30+ schools) to all the lower-tier MD schools, especially state schools, and continue volunteering while you apply. Then send update letters later on in the cycle about the extracurriculars you're doing. At lower-tier schools research is less important, so do more clinical volunteering if you need to prioritize. Hospice care is pretty valued. Throw in some DO schools as safety schools. Maybe 1/3rd schools with 33-35 MCAT averages, 1/3rd with 29-32 averages, and 1/3 safety DO schools

Hey Pyrrion, thanks a lot for the insight. I really appreciate it. And yeah I think most of my apps will be low-mid tier. When you say low risk, high reward, low investment, what do you mean?

And if I could guarantee a 33 or 34 if I retook, how much higher do you think that'll make my chances for more mid tier schools? Also, if I did retake, I wouldn't be able to turn in the app till about a month after it came out so I'd turn it in early July instead of early June. Do you think a 2-3 point MCAT bump would be worth turning my app in a month late?

Hey Pyrrion, thanks a lot for the insight. I really appreciate it. And yeah I think most of my apps will be low-mid tier. When you say low risk, high reward, low investment, what do you mean?

And if I could guarantee a 33 or 34 if I retook, how much higher do you think that'll make my chances for more mid tier schools? Also, if I did retake, I wouldn't be able to turn in the app till about a month after it came out so I'd turn it in early July instead of early June. Do you think a 2-3 point MCAT bump would be worth turning my app in a month late?

What was the split on the 31? If it was balanced, retaking might be risky. If you got sub-10 on any of the sections, there's more of a reason to retake.

When you say risky, are you referring to the fact that I may do worse? I'm confident that with better studying I can do better than a 31. But the spread was a 10PS/9VR/12BS. I was averaging 11/11/11 on my AAMCs and I never scored lower than a 10 on VR until the real thing

When you say risky, are you referring to the fact that I may do worse? I'm confident that with better studying I can do better than a 31. But the spread was a 10PS/9VR/12BS. I was averaging 11/11/11 on my AAMCs and I never scored lower than a 10 on VR until the real thing
That you may do worse (score lower, get an unbalanced score, etc.)

If you are confident that you can put in the work and get a higher score, by all means go for it :) good luck!