4.0 sGPA, 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottTheRobot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

New to this forum so pardon any ignorance on my part.
Wondering what all of you think of my current situation:

1. First round applicant
2. 4.0 sGPA with cGPA ~3.99
3. 28 MCAT (10BS 8PS 10VR)
4. AZ resident (ASU grad - Biological Sciences). FYI I'm White.
5. 4 years ER scribe Full time (+30 hrs/wk) (2.5 yrs as lead/"Chief" of the program)
-- I have a plethora of ED and other physicians who can provide me excellent letters.​
6. 4 years research (mathematical models in cancer)
-- 2 international conferences (3 more on the way)
-- Multiple undergrad conferences/poster presentation
-- 1st author publication with 2nd in the works​
7. Lots of other work experience including:
-- Starting a scribe program for a local neurologist
-- Biology tutoring
-- 2 years certified Pharmacy tech
-- Recently now a full time ER/trauma tech at the hospital I've scribed for 4 years.​
8. Some volunteering on the side:
-- Mayo Clinic -- Endoscopy Dept.
-- Science club at ASU that gives talks to high school classes about STEM fields and research.
I'm applying MD and DO (probably 20+ schools total). Obviously I'm not worried about DO but what do any of you suggest for MD? I'm really looking to head out to the New York area since I'm from the East Coast. Obviously my MCAT was my weak spot...I really just didn't give it proper time for studying, I have a re-take scheduled for June 5th, but I'm not confident I've done much better to prepare. Sooo.... re-take, re-schedule, or am I good without retaking (I'd sure like to get on with my life/research/conferences this summer)??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Goro suggests

Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Penn State
St. Louis U
Med College of Wisconsin
Albany
MCW
NYMC
Wake Forest
If you're from NY: all the SUNYs. If not, then your state school, if any
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools
PCOM
NYCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM
PCOM-GA
VCOMN
CampbellCOM
VCOM-SC
NOVA
Any other DO program

The below calls into question your ability to make good choices. How could you take a career-defining, high stakes exam and not give it proper prep time? For a MD schools, a 28 is close to circling the drain.
Obviously my MCAT was my weak spot...I really just didn't give it proper time for studying, I have a re-take scheduled for June 5th, but I'm not confident I've done much better to prepare. Sooo.... re-take, re-schedule, or am I good without retaking (I'd sure like to get on with my life/research/conferences this summer)??

[/QUOTE]

WOW! What an excellent application, even with your MCAT score. I would not be worried, especially if you are going the DO route, which I would be surprised if you had to/chose to do. I would caution simply taking the exam again if you don't feel like you changed anything in your preparation. I think your original score is fine, and if you got a similar score or do slightly worse on the second go around, I think it would be harder to plead your case so to speak. You have an excellent resume otherwise; the MCAT is the only notable exception. You should be fine. I would be a little disappointed with my MCAT, but I would proceed without retaking. Good luck!